MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

According to MLB’s operations manual for the season, players and staff members are not allowed to travel or access club facilities following a positive test until after they have two negative tests at least 24 hours apart, show no fever for at least 72 hours, complete an antibody test and are cleared by a team physician as well as the MLB COVID-19 joint committee.

Those guys are stuck there for at least 5 days, probably longer. No word on if the rest of the team can travel. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I also thought players were going to be sitting in the stands. That said, I hope we get answers on whether they think it's as much in game transmission or possibly hanging out outside stadium/hotels.

I wouldn't be surprised if several players contracted it while hanging around outside of the stadium or team hotel.  It will be interesting to see what is found out.

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wow this is really sad. I was so into the season this weekend -- I was really worried I wouldn't enjoy this season due to the weird shortened schedule, but I was fully committed. Loved playing Fantasy Baseball the past 2-3 days and having the normalcy of watching a baseball game while I eat/play videogames/come home from work. 

This was bound to happen, but it happened so soon. I wonder what they'll do 😕 

Like the baseball video narrated by Jon Hamm from last week that mentioned the normalcy of routine with baseball.  It was great to have it back this weekend.  For it to blow up so soon really sucks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

We don't know for sure if this will be the breaking point to cancel the season but we all know it should be. 

My guess is MLB says “last chance”. Maybe they even announce some enforcement of the rules they aren’t enforcing.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if several players contracted it while hanging around outside of the stadium or team hotel.  It will be interesting to see what is found out.

But (Rear Admiral Brett) Giroir also warned that states had used only $50 million of $10.25 billion allocated to them to hire contact tracers. "There is money there for them to do it," he insisted. "We are supplying the technical assistance. The money is there. The state plans have to meet requirements."

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar claimed that states had not used $11 billion in allocated financing for next-generation diagnostics.

Just now, Quin said:

looks at teams interacting in dugouts

Yeah, shit like this was coming.

Exactly. But the alternative is weird, having each player in his own Plexiglas(tm) bubble. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

My guess is MLB says “last chance”. Maybe they even announce some enforcement of the rules they aren’t enforcing.

So do the Phillies host the Yankees for two games, or those are cancelled?   Yankees already have Aroldis out.

Do the Braves go ahead and play tonight in Tampa/Florida, without the entire team being tested?

What about the Reds, with Moustakas, Davidson and Senzel?  

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted. 

It wouldn't exactly call yesterday fun...I don't know what was worse, the score or Benetti's corny jokes because of the score.  I tried my best, but could not make it longer than 6 innings, Jack.  I didn't even stay around to see if Jason mentioned Stacy King and the Nationwide jingle for the 3rd game in a row.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

So do the Phillies host the Yankees for two games, or those are cancelled?   Yankees already have Aroldis out.

Do the Braves go ahead and play tonight in Tampa/Florida, without the entire team being tested?

What about the Reds, with Moustakas, Davidson and Senzel?  

Beats me.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It shouldn't have been an emergency meeting. They should have planned for this. All the news reports say the game has been cancelled, not postponed. Interesting. Forfeit win?

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Exactly. But the alternative is weird, having each player in his own Plexiglas(tm) bubble. 

The alternative to taking this not seriously is no baseball.  It took 3 days for this to happen.  Hopefully this serves as a lesson for schools.  Even with all of the precautions and resources in the world, the most socially distant of sports in the US took 3 days for a scenario like this to happen.  But I am sure our resource starved schools will be fine.

• Like 3

Just now, SoxAce said:

Said it in the other thread, Floridians can never do anything right. 

Looking at the states with the biggest issues, California has five teams and Texas two, Ohio two teams and they haven't peaked yet.