MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They definitely aren’t. They were acting like it wasn’t there all weekend. White Sox included.

Yeah. Opening Night I was watching with my fiancee, who isn't big into sports. She and I were both cringing very, very hard at every shot of the dugouts whenever we saw people sans mask.

Like half the fucking dugout is wearing one. Just fucking wear it. 

31 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are collegiate leagues playing all over the country and not a single one has been shut down.  Hopefully everyone won't lose their freakin minds (though it seems like that has already happened) over one horribly ran organization.  

Honestly proud of this forum that it took until page 5 to get a "Who cares, keep playing" take

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

This could be interesting, but I assume most thought about this scenario before committing to the season. 

Not sure many players assumed a scenario like the Marlins would happen this quickly. 

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but what happens to those players on a 1 year contract or in the last year of their contract if the season is stopped now?

Is EE signed for 2021 then?  Is Nelson Cruz in his last year with the Twinkees in 2021?

The Marlins played exhibition games at Atlanta on Tuesday and Wednesday against the Braves, who have since been without their top two catchers, Tyler Flowers and Travis d’Arnaud, after both players showed symptoms of COVID-19. Mattingly declined to say whether he thought the Marlins’ health issues were related to the Atlanta stop.

Didn't think about it until I read that, but catchers have the best chance to catch the virus. They are close to every player in the game at some point. Hazard pay for the receivers. 

The part of this situation that makes me really mad is the poor day workers just trying to put food on the table getting fucked by this. Is the MLB testing the locker room attendants? Hotel staff? The people staffing the chartered flights? Whatever poor soul that has to try and sanitize the stadium now (who certainly definitely is properly trained and outfitted for THAT task)?

Normal people are going to get infected from this, and their options (compared to the millionaires and billionaires in baseball) are much worse. They also don't have MLBPA  health insurance if things go wrong, which they could especially considering they are probably much older than MLB players are. There is a real chance that people die, or have life-long complications, or lose everything after getting buried in medical debt because of this. 

I'm just so livid right now, fuck Manfred, fuck the MLB, and fuck greed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but what happens to those players on a 1 year contract or in the last year of their contract if the season is stopped now?

Is EE signed for 2021 then?  Is Nelson Cruz in his last year with the Twinkees in 2021?

Good question. 

Just now, gusguyman said:

The part of this situation that makes me really mad is the poor day workers just trying to put food on the table getting fucked by this. Is the MLB testing the locker room attendants? Hotel staff? The people staffing the chartered flights? Whatever poor soul that has to try and sanitize the stadium now (who certainly definitely is properly trained and outfitted for THAT task)?

Normal people are going to get infected from this, and their options (compared to the millionaires and billionaires in baseball) are much worse. They also don't have MLBPA  health insurance if things go wrong, which they could especially considering they are probably much older than MLB players are. There is a real chance that people die, or have life-long complications, or lose everything after getting buried in medical debt because of this. 

The billionaires will explain that they are trying to help the poor by giving them an opportunity to earn a living which is why they shouldn't be taxed. And health care is something you should earn, it shouldn't just be provided by the government. MAGA 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I mean, nobody should be playing. Not even in a bubble. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I mean, nobody should be playing. Not even in a bubble. 

The reality of the situation is these players are used to going out on the town most nights their entire career for food, drinks and companionship.  Does everyone really think they’re going to stop now?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

These teams are flying commercial. People can go on these same planes tonight not knowing a professional team was on same plane earlier in the day.

Forgot about that. These 14 could infect hundreds. Which is how we get to a pandemic. 

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am sure they are no different from most people in their age bracket. I walked by a restaurant yesterday. Brunch is a huge deal in Chicago. You can serve the crappiest brunch in the world and you will get a crowd. Yesterday, all the tables outside were full, and half of them inside. No one at a table is wearing a mask. People act like it has just gone away, or there is no way they will get it or give it to someone.

Kind of hard to eat with a mask on, The problem is more why the fuck are people there in the first place ?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

The reality of the situation is these players are used to going out on the town most nights their entire career for food, drinks and companionship.  Does everyone really think they’re going to stop now?

I mean so was I.  I don't think we should assume this was due to players being irresponsible until we have a concrete example. You literally just said they are flying commercial.

I would think the league would have been prepared for this and known you might have potential 1-2 week stoppages along the season to ensure everything can get contained and controlled. That said, this happening so fast has to put increased pressure on everything, especially with the delays of the testing.  First and foremost, I would expect to see a lot more mandatory distancing between players (since i saw a lot of high fives etc during at least the Sox series).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I would think the league would have been prepared for this and known you might have potential 1-2 week stoppages along the season to ensure everything can get contained and controlled. That said, this happening so fast has to put increased pressure on everything, especially with the delays of the testing.  First and foremost, I would expect to see a lot more mandatory distancing between players (since i saw a lot of high fives etc during at least the Sox series).  

Everything I've seen this morning would imply that they were absolutely not prepared for this to happen

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Even if they aren’t, there’s still plenty of chances for transmission. Hotel staff and guests. Airport staff and guests. Families. Kids going to school or daycare. 

the trick was always to limit it to 1 person at a time, to use the natural distancing in the game to prevent outbreaks like this. 

The high fives, the guys sitting together in the dugout, that’s what you couldn’t do.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kind of hard to eat with a mask on, The problem is more why the fuck are people there in the first place ?

Yes, but if they haven't been served yet, they can put on a mask. It apparently isn't required to enter the restaurant either.