MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

The reality of the situation is these players are used to going out on the town most nights their entire career for food, drinks and companionship.  Does everyone really think they’re going to stop now?

If not now when? Maybe baseball just did a terrible job of hitting the players over the head with how bad it is. Everyone needs to pretend the walking dead are roaming the earth and being in public is suicidal and you will be eaten .

11 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

The part of this situation that makes me really mad is the poor day workers just trying to put food on the table getting fucked by this. Is the MLB testing the locker room attendants? Hotel staff? The people staffing the chartered flights? Whatever poor soul that has to try and sanitize the stadium now (who certainly definitely is properly trained and outfitted for THAT task)?

Normal people are going to get infected from this, and their options (compared to the millionaires and billionaires in baseball) are much worse. They also don't have MLBPA  health insurance if things go wrong, which they could especially considering they are probably much older than MLB players are. There is a real chance that people die, or have life-long complications, or lose everything after getting buried in medical debt because of this. 

I'm just so livid right now, fuck Manfred, fuck the MLB, and fuck greed.

They are testing anyone in the clubhouse, just not as often as players. Testing players every other day costs tens of millions of dollars already.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would think the league would have been prepared for this and known you might have potential 1-2 week stoppages along the season to ensure everything can get contained and controlled. That said, this happening so fast has to put increased pressure on everything, especially with the delays of the testing.  First and foremost, I would expect to see a lot more mandatory distancing between players (since i saw a lot of high fives etc during at least the Sox series).  

There will be a stoppage but I highly doubt it is 1-2 weeks. Unless there was some unique cause originating w Marlins , I think this season may be toast

52 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are collegiate leagues playing all over the country and not a single one has been shut down.  Hopefully everyone won't lose their freakin minds (though it seems like that has already happened) over one horribly ran organization.  

the problem with this theory is the virus only takes one weak link to infect the entire pile; so while you say the Marlins are just a shit run organization, others are at risk because of them.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe baseball just did a terrible job of hitting the players over the head with how bad it is.

This extends to everything, it's hard to mad at an individual for hanging out somewhere they probably shouldn't be when the signals coming from the top are so incoherent.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but if they haven't been served yet, they can put on a mask. It apparently isn't required to enter the restaurant either.

Not like I go anywhere now but anywhere I go here in California you can't get in without a mask . I have no idea if restaurants are even open here because all I do is grocery shop and eat at home.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but if they haven't been served yet, they can put on a mask. It apparently isn't required to enter the restaurant either.

If you're outdoors and the tables are far apart (as required), I don't see why a mask is required. I won't dine inside until this entire thing is under control which could be months/year+ and in the two times I have gone out to sit outside, I never entered the restaurant.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

This extends to everything, it's hard to mad at an individual for hanging out somewhere they probably shouldn't be when the signals coming from the top are so incoherent.

They specifically have policies about things on field like no high fives that the players were consistently violating all weekend. Those annoy me far more, the PA agreed to that and said they players would police themselves so no penalties were needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you're outdoors and the tables are far apart (as required), I don't see why a mask is required. I won't dine inside until this entire thing is under control which could be months/year+ and in the two times I have gone out to sit outside, I never entered the restaurant.

How far apart are we talking? If you’re sitting 15 feet downwind of someone who has it at the right time, you’re both talking, and you’re both there for an hour, you probably still get it. 

The difference outside is it’s 1 or 2 people who get it rather than 50. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How far apart are we talking? If you’re sitting 15 feet downwind of someone who has it at the right time, you’re both talking, and you’re both there for an hour, you probably still get it. 

I've never read that but I'm sure anything is possible. I wear a mask when ordering or talking with the server out of respect for him and his job.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think everyone is 6 feet apart and some tables are still allowed to have 6 people, not to mention they are set up on the sidewalk with people walking a couple of feet away. Except for about half the tables indoors were not in use, it was almost like a normal Sunday. If you walked down Wells in Old Town yesterday, you would have had no idea a pandemic was killing restaurants. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think everyone is 6 feet apart and some tables are still allowed to have 6 people, not to mention they are set up on the sidewalk with people walking a couple of feet away. Except for about half the tables indoors were not in use, it was almost like a normal Sunday. If you walked down Wells in Old Town yesterday, you would have had no idea a pandemic was killing restaurants. 

It is, though. Indoor dining is still basically a ghost town, and outdoor dining is temporary and really only big on those times you see. Around me, there's reservations available for 630-7 every friday/saturday night at places. Let's not forget that the vast majority of restaurants in Chicago do not have outdoor patios or dining.

I agree with you that the gathering in huge crowded patios with massive groups of friends is an awful idea and not something I would sign up for, but I do find myself asking if I'm any better - I have only gone out with my wife and I alone, and I have barely gone anywhere but the grocery store besides the two restaurant trips. What is the line? What is acceptable? I just don't know... Guilt is strong.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Best case scenario at this point is that the outbreak is contained to the Marlins, and the league begins enforcing the rules already in place and establishes new rules to keep this from happening again.

I'm not optimistic that this is the case, though.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You are speaking with way too much certainty here.

Just now, StrangeSox said:

MLB clearly did not plan at all for this nearly 100% likely scenario to occur:

Ed7-V-uWoAE9PkH?format=png&name=large

This is what I don't get - how would you not have had contingency plans for if things hit the fan.  That is just staggering to me for a business the size of MLB.  

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

6 feet is also not some magic number. It’s based on work done in the 1930s before there was even knowledge of aerosolized virus particles. It’s convenient because it’s the size of a person and an easy standard to hold to and it converts easily to metric, so it’s often good enough, but there’s no antiviral brick wall at 6 feet around you. 

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

Everything I've seen this morning would imply that they were absolutely not prepared for this to happen

A top organization would be releasing a statement that sounds something like this . . .

Based on 14 players testing positive we are following the protocol we established before the season. The infected players and staff will be isolated at their hotel, replacement players are being flown in from the 60 team reserve squad, and tonight's game as been postponed and will be played at a later date, if necessary. 

• Thanks 1