MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

Mask wearing is much more common here than in many European countries that alreay have their outbreaks under control lol.  The UK just introduced mandatory masks last week, well after their curve was flat.

The players will be fine.  Play on!

Tell that to Eduardo Rodriguez

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I mean, we're seeing the results of the whole "just have everyone go back to work whatever" approach, it's pretty terrible, maybe we shouldn't be doing that??

I mean at times when we are setting new case records, I don't think this is the time to be taking the "everything is fine" victory lap.

Just now, Green Line said:

Mask wearing is much more common here than in many European countries that alreay have their outbreaks under control lol.  The UK just introduced mandatory masks last week, well after their curve was flat.

The players will be fine.  Play on!

There have been plenty of young, healthy people getting wrecked by this disease, Death isn't the only risk. There are also more than players at stake here, plus the general increased spread. As was already pointed out multiple times, the Marlins' positive tests include coaches.

• Like 1

Just now, StrangeSox said:

There have been plenty of young, healthy people getting wrecked by this disease, Death isn't the only risk. There are also more than players at stake here, plus the general increased spread. As was already pointed out multiple times, the Marlins' positive tests include coaches.

Even if I (probably) won't die, I'd like to keep my sense of taste and smell at the very least, thx. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Even if I (probably) won't die, I'd like to keep my sense of taste and smell at the very least, thx.  

Never had a sinus infection before?  They suck, have them every year and lose those senses.  I wouldn't ask everyone to stay home for me though.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Not to mention dealing with all the other symptoms that come with the virus and not knowing if your symptoms will get worse for days and sometimes weeks.  

People that down play the virus are almost always people that have have not had the disease. They wouldn't have the same perspective if they would have had to face the reality of how menacing of a virus this actually is. 

• Like 1

It is strange how Renteria and the FO are not being truthful about Mazara  who must have it.

And now I wonder whether Moncada may have tested positive again. It was just weird to rest him in game 3 of an important series against the Twins.

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Never had a sinus infection before?  They suck, have them every year and lose those senses.  I wouldn't ask everyone to stay home for me though.

We know that you're senses come back, and quickly with a sinus infection. We don't here. 

A sinus infection also doesn't have the knock-on effect of slamming ICUs and killing 150,000 people in a few months. 

• Like 2

Just now, tray said:

It is strange how Renteria and the FO are not being truthful about Mazara  who must have it.

And now I wonder whether Moncada may have tested positive again. It was just weird to rest him in game 3 of an important series against the Twins.

Federal law prohibits an employer from talking about an employees health status unless they allow it.

1 minute ago, tray said:

Players have to agree to have their names put out there. 

Just now, tray said:

1. Any player has the full legal right to refuse to have this condition identified as the reason they're out, because it's not an injury suffered as part of the game. That's been the league's interpretation of HIPAA law - the league can't say they have it without the player's permission.

2. Moncada played 2 games after a short spring, and even for the asymptomatic individuals the virus can take a toll on the body, so extra rest was totally appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

There is no way they continue the season

I think they will,  and it lasts maybe another week or two until they really have no choice. 

That is, unless it turns out the Phillies are also slammed. That could change things. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think they will,  and it lasts maybe another week or two until they really have no choice. 

We’ll see. Again, hopefully they can play through this with taxi squad players, and the rest of the league sees this as a warning to do everything in their power to protect themselves and others. 

Edited by flavum

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And if you don't want to wear a mask or follow the rules, it just makes everything take longer. There is a reason the US is in the postion it is in. Our "leadership" wanted to make acting in a safe fashion a political issue. The players haven't been following the guidelines. Sounds very familiar. And now trouble follows. 

I don’t want to go down the whole political rabbit hole with you on this. I don’t have a problem with masks, per se. with that said, there’s no evidence from the CDC or WHO that masks are effective as it relates to the coronavirus. So I think it’s unfair to pinpoint that as a cause. 

I think blaming politics on and everything is a cop out. Things happen in life. 

23 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I mean, we're seeing the results of the whole "just have everyone go back to work whatever" approach, it's pretty terrible, maybe we shouldn't be doing that??

There needs to be a balance though. These players while highly played are just like everyone else that needs to make money to live. Where do you draw the line between making a living and mitigating the spread of the virus? That is the tough question.

2 minutes ago, Butter Parque said:

I don’t want to go down the whole political rabbit hole with you on this. I don’t have a problem with masks, per se. with that said, there’s no evidence from the CDC or WHO that masks are effective as it relates to the coronavirus. So I think it’s unfair to pinpoint that as a cause. 

I think blaming politics on and everything is a cop out. Things happen in life. 

Both now recommend them and say there is evidence that mask wearing slows down transmission rates. 

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent