MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

31 minutes ago, Green Line said:

I've been going to work every day for the past couple months along with millions of other Americans.  I don't think we are trained monkeys either.

You shouldn't be working either. There's a reason why corporations are pushing for immunity from covid-related lawsuits. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

There needs to be a balance though. These players while highly played are just like everyone else that needs to make money to live. Where do you draw the line between making a living and mitigating the spread of the virus? That is the tough question.

No it isn't.

You draw the line at your ability to control it. If the virus is expanding out of control, then you are on the wrong side of that line. That's literally how MLB wrote their safety procedure document - trying to keep the virus from being out of control even though it was guaranteed to be present.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Both now recommend them and say there is evidence that mask wearing slows down transmission rates. 

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

This is what many people don't get. Some will say "masks don't prevent the transmission." This is probably true as there is nothing that can totally stop the virus. However, it the slowing of the tramission and mitigating it as much as possible that is the key. Too many people are all or nothing.

• Like 1

No it isn't.

You draw the line at your ability to control it. If the virus is expanding out of control, then you are on the wrong side of that line. That's literally how MLB wrote their safety procedure document - trying to keep the virus from being out of control even though it was guaranteed to be present.

I disagree. There is a point as to where you can mitigate the transmission. There is no true control or stopping it. We saw how the players weren't following the guidelines. If there were more strict following the guidelines it may have worked more effectively. 

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Question...it's the old if a tree falls in the forest but noone is around conundrum...If Gio Gonzalez pitches in a blowout game in a season that was just 3 games long, did he ever really pitch for the White Sox?

I would think if the season were canceled they would just scrub all the stats. Sorry Nelson Cruz. 

8 minutes ago, Butter Parque said:

I don’t want to go down the whole political rabbit hole with you on this. I don’t have a problem with masks, per se. with that said, there’s no evidence from the CDC or WHO that masks are effective as it relates to the coronavirus. So I think it’s unfair to pinpoint that as a cause. 

I think blaming politics on and everything is a cop out. Things happen in life. 

Correction.  Masks don't make it 100% safe, but they do diminish the odds of transmission directly related to the quality of your mask, and how well you utilize it.  They ARE "effective" when correctly used.

Just now, ptatc said:

I disagree. There is a point as to where you can mitigate the transmission. There is no true control or stopping it. We saw how the players weren't following the guidelines. If there were more strict following the guidelines it may have worked more effectively. 

You're not understanding what i said, I did not say you needed to have it stopped. You're not going to keep it out of any sport without a bubble, but the question was - does it expand within the sport itself. The answer today is "Yes". If people were getting it, but it wasn't being spread amongst the teams, then it was at least under control. Spreading amongst the players during game activities means MLB has lost control of it.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Correction.  Masks don't make it 100% safe, but they do diminish the odds of transmission directly related to the quality of your mask, and how well you utilize it.  They ARE "effective" when correctly used.

This is the point I try to make. Far too many people are in the "if it doesn't stop it, it not worth it" mind set.

19 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think they will,  and it lasts maybe another week or two until they really have no choice. 

That is, unless it turns out the Phillies are also slammed. That could change things. 

FWIW, the owners right now have to consider whether they want to continue paying full game checks if they are no longer convinced they can get playoff revenue. 

You're not understanding what i said, I did not say you needed to have it stopped. You're not going to keep it out of any sport without a bubble, but the question was - does it expand within the sport itself. The answer today is "Yes". If people were getting it, but it wasn't being spread amongst the teams, then it was at least under control. Spreading amongst the players during game activities means MLB has lost control of it.

Very true. However, I think it can continue if the players truly follow the guidelines that the MLB set forth of proper mask wearing, distance in the dugout, non-playing players out of the dugout etc. It may be too late but if other teams don't have the increase, it may work. This is the balance to which I was referring. They deserve an attempt to make a living.

A few states opened up before reaching the CDC guidelines for opening up. They were praised by the WH, however, those states are in a whole world of hurt right now. 

As much as I love watching baseball, to say because I work, they must, is beyond selfish. Selfish most likely being the biggest reason the US is having such a problem with this virus.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, the owners right now have to consider whether they want to continue paying full game checks if they are no longer convinced they can get playoff revenue. 

Yep. The next few days will be telling if the Marlins spread it beyond containment.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This sounds awfully familiar, and far too many people don't take THAT advice seriously either. 

25 minutes ago, Quin said:

Solution is about to be a taxi squad plays for the Marlins.

And than what if there’s an outbreak amongst the tax squad?    Honestly, I’d say there’s a good chance of that happening since it’s a Florida team.    Do they grab a high school team and dress them up in Marlins uniforms?

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yep. The next few days will be telling if the Marlins spread it beyond containment.

I think we already know there was in-game spread. The Marlins played the Braves in their exhibition games last week, the Braves catchers went down with symptoms and now all the Marlins are down. 

Wonder which team had it first. The fish could have picked it up from the Braves' catcher. 

4 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

And than what if there’s an outbreak amongst the tax squad?    Honestly, I’d say there’s a good chance of that happening since it’s a Florida team.    Do they grab a high school team and dress them up in Marlins uniforms?

I didn't say I like it. Just saying that's about to be the stupid-ass solution until we see the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp suiting up.

Cue President Trump’s press conference addressing the situation in MLB this morning, “This is just fake news trying to make this fake virus look real. Shame on you baseball players and media people. Fake baseball. Fake virus. Fake players.”

He concluded by taking out his cell phone and tweeting the following, “Now let’s reopen America because Economy!”

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think we already know there was in-game spread. The Marlins played the Braves in their exhibition games last week, the Braves catchers went down with symptoms and now all the Marlins are down. 

Wonder which team had it first. The fish could have picked it up from the Braves' catcher. 

Could be that or could be that both areas are hot spots right now. That's why the next few days and testing of their recent opponents will be key.