MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

While I still am in the "all games shouldn't be cancelled if you've come this far" crowd....we are just waiting for the other shoe to drop, and all feel like it's coming sooner than later.

Exactly, what are they waiting for?  It’s beyond obvious the plan was flawed and the players for the most part have made a joke of social distancing during games.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Exactly, what are they waiting for?  It’s beyond obvious the plan was flawed and the players for the most part have made a joke of social distancing during games.  

Money.

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think you're missing the reason why the two games were cancelled. 

In my opinion.....MLB had to know something like this was likely to happen. MLB and the MLBPA agreed to this format and schedule. If the White Sox and Indians have all been tested and everyone is negative, I think you continue on. I don't think you cancel everything because of a series in Philadelphia.  

If this starts happening with other teams (my guess is it does), then it becomes a more widespread issue rather than an isolated innocent, and then you probably are making a more severe decision on the future of the season. 

The rules were basically designed to avoid this. MLB was willing to accept single cases, maybe even spreading it to 1 or 2 people on a team. They were very clear that they couldn't develop protocols for what to do if it began knocking out whole teams - the basic plan was to take advantage of the social distancing built into the game and design protocols to prevent spreading in other team settings. Having outbreaks associated with teams was the #1 thing they wanted to avoid. 

So, unless they're going to do quite a bit more to prevent them, an outbreak after the first games tells you that this isn't going to be an isolated incident. 

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is not that important but I hate them saying “out of an abundance of caution”. Uh yeah it’s not really, just say due to your protocol you will sit out anyone showing symptoms until they can see it’s not covid.

The last word I'd use to describe the caution shown by the MLB towards playing during a global pandemic is "abundant"

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I seriously believe it has to be a marquee player. I wish I was joking. 

"[Player name] sacrificed his life for baseball. Ever since he was a kid, baseball was his whole life. I know if he was with us today, he'd want us to keep playing, so we are dedicating the rest of the season to playing in his honor"

• Thanks 1

Just now, gusguyman said:

"[Player name] sacrificed his life for baseball. Ever since he was a kid, baseball was his whole life. I know if he was with us today, he'd want us to keep playing, so we are dedicating the rest of the season to playing in his honor"

You are probably right . . . 😞

4 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I cant believe there hasn't been a good number of opt outs today.   If I was on a roster and saw what was happening today,  I'd tell my team mates see you next season.  I'm more impressed with Michael Kopech than ever that he was smarter than 98% of the players in the league before the season started.

Unless you've been playing awhile and made your money, it's hard to go almost 2 years with no income.

Edited by ptatc

I’m not in the overly dramatic crowd...at the end of the day these are highly paid professionals that chose to assume the known risk. 

BUT yeah...this probably needs to be just stopped at this point. There was no planning for any of this. MLB pretty much stuck their heads in the sand and pretended that it wasn’t obvious this would happen. 3rd time won’t be the charm, just wrap up 2020 and call it a lost cause. Teams losing good players from their lineups on a weekly basis makes this already asterisk season even less meaningful. 

And hopefully the NFL is watching this and getting a grip on reality. Figure out a bubble situation or the season ain’t happening 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I seriously believe it has to be a marquee player. I wish I was joking. 

I have two close friends who are both ex-Sports reporters, and this is the agreement that we came to.  They will try to keep sliding sports along until someone dies.

8 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The state of Florida is the worst, just ruining the party for the rest of us.

Yet Illinois has 2000 more deaths than Florida and about half the population as the Sunshine State not to mention Chicagoans shooting each other like it's Dodge City.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

6 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I cant believe there hasn't been a good number of opt outs today.   If I was on a roster and saw what was happening today,  I'd tell my team mates see you next season.  I'm more impressed with Michael Kopech than ever that he was smarter than 98% of the players in the league before the season started.

He didn’t opt out because of Covid, he opted out because he was preparing to divorce his wife, who is probably carrying another man’s child, and he is already prone to mental issues.

Let's look at this moving forward and it may be a good thing for the other teams. An outbreak like this and your roster is shot for two weeks to a month. You just eliminated yourself from the playoffs. The keys for winning this year

1. Keep your players healthy (way more than a regular year) so let's invest some cash to help make that happen.
  2. Your organization will have to be deep. Everyone that would have been on your forty man roster and perhaps more will probably be playing at some point.
  3. If you thought a Loogy was weird, how about a FRFSIT10 - Fast Runner From Second in the 10th guy. 

Just now, Gunzaan said:

He didn’t opt out because of Covid, he opted out because he was preparing to divorce his wife, who is probably carrying another man’s child, and he is already prone to mental issues.

Please let's not speculate on what is a nightmare situation for any human. That is one possibility but there are many more. His situation goes beyond sports and this message board. 

3 minutes ago, Gunzaan said:

I really think most people going through something like that would use the game as a distraction rather than sitting home and being sad.   I think there was more to his decision than his pending divorce.

35 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Yet Illinois has 2000 more deaths than Florida and about half the population as the Sunshine State not to mention Chicagoans shooting each other like it's Dodge City.

You act like that's something to brag about?  Florida is the example of what happens when you open before you have a firm grasp on virus prevention strategy.  For what it's worth there are no metro areas in Florida that touch the population of Chicagoland area.

41 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I really think most people going through something like that would use the game as a distraction rather than sitting home and being sad.   I think there was more to his decision than his pending divorce.

Zobrist bailed mid season due to divorce.