MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Had a buddy text me this morning. His GF hasn't been feeling great, she thinks she is fine but wants to get tested just to be safe. They told her she would hear back on a test results.....IN 16 DAYS. 16! He said they have faster options but none are covered by insurance and he didn't feel like paying the $150.

I couldn't believe when he said 16 days. What's the point? 

Mine took 18 days at CVS. It finally came back negative, but it didn’t matter anymore 

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

Mine took 18 days at CVS. It finally came back negative, but it didn’t matter anymore 

Yep. Friends in the city have almost always gone to CVS out of convenience, and unfortunately it has cost and has been by far the slowest turnaround.

I don't blame people for not knowing, search Covid testing and you get a whole bunch of doctors offices and links, if unfamiliar you'd go with cvs. But the state/city run ones are free and honestly very very well run and fast.

Theres even one at guaranteed rate but its just for healthcare/first responders.

This is where he money squabbling in the end kills this plan.  Should have built a 60 game season from July 1st with bunches of days or even a week off here and there and then left a week or two off at the end of the season to make up games. 

It is not a normal season but here we are pretending the switch would be flipped.

Lord the minds in baseball are idiots.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am glad they are holding out the marlins for a week, and Phillies for a few days. Not going to hate on it.

I'm extra glad they included the Phillies. Even if someone there caught it from the Marlins, they wouldn't show any positive tests yet. 

Having the Phillies negative and all the Marlins sick definitely implicates either the travel or the clubhouse as probable infection points.

If you guys want to give a listen to a bunch of immunologies, virologists, etc. talking about testing and how we could vastly improve it, you could listen to this:

Basic idea is that we do less sensitive tests that might not catch people right at the start (or end!) of being infected, but that we can have everyone (or at least everyone potentially exposed) doing these $1 tests with results in ~hour at home daily.

If we can get something like that off the ground, it means we can do a whole lot more things a lot more safely because everyone at risk of spreading the infection is being tested at least a couple of times a week. Not just baseball, but suddenly fully in-person school, albeit still with masks, becomes feasible to do safely, etc.

Write your Congressional reps and Senators and state level people too to try to get more people on board. This could make a huge difference in getting a few big steps back towards "normal" before there's a vaccine.

Edited by StrangeSox

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Smart - And get creative around flexibility of schedules like they did.  

Yes. All of the talking heads on the radio are bashing MLB for not having a plan, making things up and not looking at September.. When presented with this never before seen scenario, flexibility is the key. It's a sport where people make there living, get over it.

this is uh, questionable spin:

I mean that's great, but a .3% positive rate nearly derailed the season on day 3. That's not a success and they need to be more realistic on what is needed to be competitive and safe this year.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Had a buddy text me this morning. His GF hasn't been feeling great, she thinks she is fine but wants to get tested just to be safe. They told her she would hear back on a test results.....IN 16 DAYS. 16! He said they have faster options but none are covered by insurance and he didn't feel like paying the $150.

I couldn't believe when he said 16 days. What's the point? 

That's completely unacceptable. I live in very rural Wisconsin. Went to a free drive thru test site and had my results in less than 48 hours. That kind of turnaround for a free test could help slow the spread. Not having to wait 16 days.

8 minutes ago, knightni said:

I wonder why teams have never built player housing facilities instead of relying on hotels.

It seems that they could make them as luxury as they wanted.

I've thought of that myself. Of course, as Hi8is said , its the dolla billz. But staying in hotels for professional athletes just sounds archaic.

18 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

What do you do with them for the 250+ nights a year a visiting team isn't in town?

Beside that - what are the standards - Do teams go the Iowa Hawkeye pink lockeroom route and make visitor rooms sub-standard.  What about concerns over teams having bugs in the facilities, etc (probably more risky when you are staying at the facility on top of just the lockeroom - although lockeroom bugging risk exists too). Use of independent hotels to me puts a lot more controls on each franchise for what they want, etc.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

this is uh, questionable spin:

I mean that's great, but a .3% positive rate nearly derailed the season on day 3. That's not a success and they need to be more realistic on what is needed to be competitive and safe this year.

The positivity rate is a terrible way to look at this when you're testing 1000 people every 2 days. You shouldn't have a lot of positives testing the same people over and over, and you're not specifically targeting people who are symptomatic. There's literally no calibration out there for whether that's good or bad. 

Considering all the cities with 4-plus leagues, would be an interesting concept to make like an athlete soho house. Make deals with the leagues to stay there, industry workers/families can be members, ex players keep membership and can stay there when visiting cities.