MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

27 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Sure hope not. In my naive opinion, if it happens it won’t be an iron clad immediate action but rather will amount to stages of repeated failure.

For example, entire season postponed for 2 weeks... resume... see more clubs getting games postponed... potentially another stoppage... say they’re trying to get 45 games in, yada yada yada.

If they see more than one cycle like that, we’ll get the knife.

Otherwise, they’re committed to doing whatever it takes to get this in.

If they have to suspend - they need to pivot to a plan c - which is set-up the darn bubbles and deal with it.  

• Like 1

I’m just confused what exactly they expected? How many dudes tested positive on intake and during Summer Camp? 70 some? Maybe more. Almost every team had at least one. Around 5% of those who reported test positive.

Obviously the Marlins outbreak is new, but other than that it’s been pretty small #s. I mean - everyone knew this would happen. If the plan was to panic cancel games and destroy the schedule less than a week in, why even bother? And why did no one feel like they had to shut everything down everytime a dude tested positive in summer camp? 

whole this is puzzling to me. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m just confused what exactly they expected? How many dudes tested positive on intake and during Summer Camp? 70 some? Maybe more. Almost every team had at least one. Around 5% of those who reported test positive.

Obviously the Marlins outbreak is new, but other than that it’s been pretty small #s. I mean - everyone knew this would happen. If the plan was to panic cancel games and destroy the schedule less than a week in, why even bother? And why did no one feel like they had to shut everything down everytime a dude tested positive in summer camp? 

Rob Manfred is apparently puzzled that young athletes aren't going home after the game to play Fortnite in their empty apartment.

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they have to suspend - they need to pivot to a plan c - which is set-up the darn bubbles and deal with it.  

Do they have time to do that, a full reset?

What’s the minimum number of games they would need to play to get into a post-season?  40, 42, 45?  50?   Anything under 40 sounds pretty ridiculous.

54 at least is 1/3rd a season, the magical mark Hawk always referred to as “you have a pretty good idea what you’ve got after 1/3rd of a season, essentially two full months of competition.”

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

During camp, there were 0 obvious cases of it spreading beyond a single person. Roughly each team had 1 case that appeared during camp, but that's manageable. It's spreading to 2, 3, 5, 15 people that MLB can't take, and that's what we started getting the first week. 

The plan was to prevent spreading among teams. If you go through MLB's documents, basically that's the whole goal, find every place where spreading could be likely during the games themselves and remove that. But we're watching people violate those rules regularly, and seeing the results.

The Cardinals are 2 known cases, but that means there's a chance there's more because that's just from the Wednesday tests, and testing turnaround/infection isn't fast enough to know for sure that there aren't others. 

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rob Manfred is apparently puzzled that young athletes aren't going home after the game to play Fortnite in their empty apartment.

The Players Association signed off on an agreement saying the players would not do stuff we've seen them doing, and the players association didn't want penalties for players violating those rules. 

I bash the owners as much as anyone, but this was a negotiated agreement that the players aren't living up to. If we saw everyone wearing masks, no high 5s, the Astros staying in their dugout, people using the stands for social distancing, etc, and people were still getting sick, then we could blame the policies for being too weak. The players are consistently, on camera, ignoring those rules.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Players Association signed off on an agreement saying the players would not do stuff we've seen them doing, and the players association didn't want penalties for players violating those rules. 

I bash the owners as much as anyone, but this was a negotiated agreement that the players aren't living up to. If we saw everyone wearing masks, no high 5s, the Astros staying in their dugout, people using the stands for social distancing, etc, and people were still getting sick, then we could blame the policies for being too weak. The players are consistently, on camera, ignoring those rules.

You’re not wrong, but the plan they put forth was never going to work regardless. 

To be honest, the actions of some players reflect the entitlement problem this country has.  These guys have the opportunity to earn themselves hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars by playing a game they love if they simply follow the safety protocols instituted by MLB.  Obviously there would still be positives just from normal day to day activities, but the amount would be greatly reduced and team wide hits like with the Marlins wouldn’t happen.  Instead, some of these guys feel they are entitled to go out clubbing at night and a huge number of them aren’t taking social distancing seriously in the slightest when on the field.  It’s one thing to put your own well being in danger, but the lack of compassion this country has for one another is astounding and that selfishness will get some people sick and may end up costing us the luxury that is watching Major League Baseball during a pandemic.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be honest, the actions of some players reflect the entitlement problem this country has.  These guys have the opportunity to earn themselves hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars by playing a game they love if they simply follow the safety protocols instituted by MLB.  Obviously there would still be positives just from normal day to day activities, but the amount would be greatly reduced and team wide hits like with the Marlins wouldn’t happen.  Instead, some of these guys feel they are entitled to go out clubbing at night and a huge number of them aren’t taking social distancing seriously in the slightest when on the field.  It’s one thing to put your own well being in danger, but the lack of compassion this country has for one another is astounding and that selfishness will get some people sick and may end up costing us the luxury that is watching Major League Baseball during a pandemic.

It is the perfect microcosm of modern America. We COULD have fixed this, but we weren't willing to do the minimum needed to fix it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

For once he is right though.  If the players want this, they need to button their shit up.

You give people an inch they usually take a mile.  Manfred just isn't a strong leader.  He's unable to unify.  He backed down on the pods idea and now he isn't enforcing any sort of punitive measures to get players to comply.

I'm talking in hindsight obviously but I don't think it took a clairvoyant to see this coming.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Do they have time to do that, a full reset?

What’s the minimum number of games they would need to play to get into a post-season?  40, 42, 45?  50?   Anything under 40 sounds pretty ridiculous.

54 at least is 1/3rd a season, the magical mark Hawk always referred to as “you have a pretty good idea what you’ve got after 1/3rd of a season, essentially two full months of competition.”

Just shift to a giant march madness style format.  I don't really care - just get me as many games of baseball as I can get (in a safe manner).  

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You give people an inch they usually take a mile.  Manfred just isn't a strong leader.  He's unable to unify.  He backed down on the pods idea and now he isn't enforcing any sort of punitive measures to get players to comply.

I'm talking in hindsight obviously but I don't think it took a clairvoyant to see this coming.

Owner/leader aligned with interests of billionaires/corporate interests

Pretends to be for common people/the fans

Won’t put punitive policies or strict regulations in place/consistently blames others and refuses to be accountable for doing “what’s in the best interest of the sport/the greatest good for the greatest number”

Where have we seen this scenario play out?  Can’t think of any recent or relevant examples to apply.

Edited by caulfield12