MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

3 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Honest question, What’s the point of the taxi squad and making it even 5 players now, if when a test comes down they shut down the entire series. I get the Marlins situation just a little confused on the Cardinals situation.

Because the Cards are way more than 1 person. These 3 additional tests show that they currently don’t have the outbreak on that team under control. These guys should have been caught earlier in the week, but they weren’t. Can we be 100% sure there aren’t 3 more guys with it on that team waiting for the next round of tests? Or did they pick it up during the week from someone who didn’t get caught by the last tests?

The Cardinals have traced one exposure back to Milwaukee and one of the other positive tests weaves back to the concerns coming out of Minneapolis. The Cardinals believe the initial contact that introduced the virus to their clubhouse came in St. Louis before the team's road trip.

As a result of this past weekend's outbreak, the Cardinals did enact additional measures of protection that included increased use of masks at the ballpark and clearer guidelines on physical distancing and contact. Many players wore masks on the field when they were doing everything but pitching or hitting, and for the first time all players also wore masks during Zoom interviews with the media.

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said of the team: "We probably won't hardly interact at all."

STLtoday.com

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So 50 players in 1 month, at that rate nearly 200 out of 900 will get it by the end of the playoffs? That’s...poor. One step away from awful.

Given the circumstances of sharing intimate spaces a roughly 6% positive rate is pretty amazing imo.  But if you want to doom and gloom it, doom and gloom it.

John Mozeliak:

“In terms of when we’re going to get back on the field and get back to baseball, I just don’t know,” said John Mozeliak, president of baseball operations. “I’m not going to guess. Allow a few days to come and go and then we’ll reassess. Not having experience on how to truly isolate it and prevent it from spreading we’re learning as we go. I wish I had better answers. I wish I had something firm. But I don’t at this time.”

Gee if only science could've told you what to do YOU DUMBSHIT!!!!

"Right now, we THINK the Cardinals are going to be back"  Rob Manfred

The Cardinals’ visit to Detroit, to play a doubleheader on Thursday, was postponed. The Chicago White Sox moved Saturday’s start time back from an afternoon game to 6:10 p.m. (St. Louis time). If Friday’s scheduled game vs. the White Sox is postponed, that later start would buy time for the Cardinals to get results from Friday’s tests and play Saturday’s game a full week removed from the most recent new positive result.

A ‘credible’ schedule

The postponement of the doubleheader means the Cardinals have had 15 consecutive games — a fourth of their season — postponed. The commissioner agreed it would be “difficult” to cram 55 games into the final 44 days of the schedule.

“I think whether you get all the way to 60 or not, that’s difficult at this point,” Manfred said. “I think that they are going to play. I think it’s possible for them to play enough games to be credible, to be a credible competitor this season.”

He did not define a threshold of minimum games.

If a team or multiple teams play fewer than the 60 games on the shortened-season schedule, Major League Baseball will use winning percentage to determine postseason berths. 

Edited by caulfield12