MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

2 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

League should issue a mandate to have masks on at all times in the dugout, and how about actually making use of the extra makeshift dugouts to help with social distancing. 

I agree. Mask should be mandatory in the dugout. Hand sanitizer should be put on every half inning. The dugout should be a ghost town except for those in the game, and high fives, bumping elbows, etc. need to be eliminated.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Travelling by plane is interesting. My cousin's wife is Mexican and her father is very ill in Mexico, so he had to go down there. He was wearing googles, a mask, gloves and a face shield on the plane. He texted a picture.

Then yesterday, my neighbor and her partner were outside with a bunch of suitcases and I asked if they were taking a vacation. It turns out her grandmother is dying in California and they were going to drive out there. I showed her a picture of my cousin and told her flights roundtrip to LAX were something like $75. She should fly. I think she did.

my cardiologist traveled  by plane and dressed the same. Everything was fine until he got on the airport shuttle and people said "we can finally take off these masks" and almost everyone did. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. Mask should be mandatory in the dugout. Hand sanitizer should be put on every half inning. The dugout should be a ghost town except for those in the game, and high fives, bumping elbows, etc. need to be eliminated.

Hopefully players take this a bit more seriously now.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

West Coast would be where, exactly?   Denver?   

Definitely not Texas, CA, Washington or Phoenix.   East Coast would probably be okay, except FL teams and Atlanta.

For Central, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh?  Milwaukee?   Not too many super-obvious choices there.  Ohio seems to be a bit of a trouble spot, again.

Florida is 1 of the most infected places on earth and the NBA and MLS bubbles are there and doing just fine. It doesn’t matter where the bubble is, as long as it’s a bubble.

LA, Chicago and NY all have 2 major league stadiums and fit the geographic requirements. Fitting the games in logistically with the 60 game schedule starting when it did probably would have been really difficult, but establishing 3 bubbles cities and starting the season in early June most likely would have been very easily accomplished. Of course that also would have required the owners and players to have genuine, reasonable and intelligent conversations from the beginning.... which we all know wasn’t going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The A’s had a walk off homer over the weekend. Party at home plate (maybe a little lighter than normal), water thrown in the face. The whole bit. How was this not talked about and absolutely forbidden before the season started? 

• Like 1

Just now, Texsox said:

my cardiologist traveled  by plane and dressed the same. Everything was fine until he got on the airport shuttle and people said "we can finally take off these masks" and almost everyone did. 

This was back in February so obviously a different scenario, but I was coming back from ST and there was a couple who felt it necessary to mask up and immediately took them off upon getting into Midway. That was pretty funny. 

7 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

League should issue a mandate to have masks on at all times in the dugout, and how about actually making use of the extra makeshift dugouts to help with social distancing. 

With the Braves catchers having gotten it...I think masks should be on in the playing field as well. At least on the infield, while hitting, and for all the umpires. 

Just now, flavum said:

The A’s had a walk off homer over the weekend. Party at home plate (maybe a little lighter than normal), water thrown in the face. The whole bit. How was this not talked about and absolutely forbidden before the season started? 

And if no one on the As tests positve some folks will use that as an example of non of this matters, anyone can get it, nothing makes a difference etc

1 minute ago, flavum said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/Protocols-overlooked-during-A-s-on-field-15433958.php 

It is actually against the rules and the press in the area noted. 

I enjoy the Little League coaches that wear them when being a base coach, but at the same time let their kid and 11 others all sit as close as possible in the dugout with no masks on.

I’m not lying when I say I was at a tournament yesterday and of the 500 people in attendance, 3 had masks on.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I enjoy the Little League coaches that wear them when being a base coach, but at the same time let their kid and 11 others all sit as close as possible in the dugout with no masks on.

I’m not lying when I say I was at a tournament yesterday and of the 500 people in attendance, 3 had masks on.

We've gone mad as a country.  I saw a montessori school holding class yesterday and all the parents mingling for pickup in the hallway.  It's because of selfish people that we can't get over this.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We've gone mad as a country.  I saw a montessori school holding class yesterday and all the parents mingling for pickup in the hallway.  It's because of selfish people that we can't get over this.

How else are 9 and 10 year olds going to get that elusive baseball scholarship to Virginia without playing 3 games a day in 100 degree heat during a pandemic?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

How else are 9 and 10 year olds going to get that elusive baseball scholarship to Virginia without playing 3 games a day in 100 degree heat during a pandemic?

Every morning when I walk my dog, I see parents and their kids without masks walk to the school bus. Then a bus full of kids, no masks. Then the parents mingle and talk. 

It's a religious school bus. In New York City. I feel like I've lost my damn mind every time I see it.

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

And if no one on the As tests positve some folks will use that as an example of non of this matters, anyone can get it, nothing makes a difference etc

And that's part of the problem. But it's like people driving drunk and making it home unscathed. They didn't kill anyone so it must be alright.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Dealing with parents who believe colleges will be lined up to pay their kid to attend is the one thing that high school coaches dread. There is a misleading myth that girl golf scholarships are easy to get. 

I remember one parent after I pulled up the roster of a leading Texas University to show the parents that the school recruited internationally looked at me and said it was proof their couldn't break 80 daughter was a great fit because the coaches couldn't find players in the US and have to go to Sweden to find players 🤦‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

With the Braves catchers having gotten it...I think masks should be on in the playing field as well. At least on the infield, while hitting, and for all the umpires. 

Both Braves catchers tested negative. They just put them on the IL out of an abundance of caution. 

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's hard to put a ton of blame on individuals when there are 15 different messages coming from up top. We were always going to be in trouble expecting Joe Citizen to fully understand the scope of this and take it upon themselves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Florida is 1 of the most infected places on earth and the NBA and MLS bubbles are there and doing just fine. It doesn’t matter where the bubble is, as long as it’s a bubble.

LA, Chicago and NY all have 2 major league stadiums and fit the geographic requirements. Fitting the games in logistically with the 60 game schedule starting when it did probably would have been really difficult, but establishing 3 bubbles cities and starting the season in early June most likely would have been very easily accomplished. Of course that also would have required the owners and players to have genuine, reasonable and intelligent conversations from the beginning.... which we all know wasn’t going to happen. 

It's just so hard to wear those darn masks. Not really worth it.

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Dealing with parents who believe colleges will be lined up to pay their kid to attend is the one thing that high school coaches dread. There is a misleading myth that girl golf scholarships are easy to get. 

I remember one parent after I pulled up the roster of a leading Texas University to show the parents that the school recruited internationally looked at me and said it was proof their couldn't break 80 daughter was a great fit because the coaches couldn't find players in the US and have to go to Sweden to find players 🤦‍♂️

That is why I go with my fool proof strategy - keep my kid from playing at the highest level - than sell the college on the potential - we don't know - she might be the next great thing. We don't know - maybe she shoots 100, but she also might just shoot 65 on average - do you want to turn down that sort of potential?  I need a guaranteed full ride. 

PS: She may not actually have any desire to play - so please ensure that this scholarship is iron clad :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, flavum said:

I was watching either the Friday or Saturday game when one of the Sox coaches opened a bottle of water and took a sip and swished it around in his mouth and then spit it all out on the dugout floor! How unsanitary is that!

Edited by Saufley

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At the very least, bandanas. It's incredibly easy to play sports wearing a bandana.

From my experience dealing with these parents, a lot of them did a solid job of social distancing up until the last month. From then, I’ve heard every excuse in the book for why they’re letting their kids play at a crowded park, have sleepovers, etc.  Too many parents that god forbid didn’t want to lose their “summer”.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is why I go with my fool proof strategy - keep my kid from playing at the highest level - than sell the college on the potential - we don't know - she might be the next great thing. We don't know - maybe she shoots 100, but she also might just shoot 65 on average - do you want to turn down that sort of potential?  I need a guaranteed full ride. 

PS: She may not actually have any desire to play - so please ensure that this scholarship is iron clad :)

If you fill out all the paperwork correctly she could land on the Stanford Rowing Team. 

• Haha 3