Sign in to follow this  
bmags

MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

For once he is right though.  If the players want this, they need to button their shit up.

You give people an inch they usually take a mile.  Manfred just isn't a strong leader.  He's unable to unify.  He backed down on the pods idea and now he isn't enforcing any sort of punitive measures to get players to comply.

I'm talking in hindsight obviously but I don't think it took a clairvoyant to see this coming.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Do they have time to do that, a full reset?

What’s the minimum number of games they would need to play to get into a post-season?  40, 42, 45?  50?   Anything under 40 sounds pretty ridiculous.

54 at least is 1/3rd a season, the magical mark Hawk always referred to as “you have a pretty good idea what you’ve got after 1/3rd of a season, essentially two full months of competition.”

Just shift to a giant march madness style format.  I don't really care - just get me as many games of baseball as I can get (in a safe manner).  

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You give people an inch they usually take a mile.  Manfred just isn't a strong leader.  He's unable to unify.  He backed down on the pods idea and now he isn't enforcing any sort of punitive measures to get players to comply.

I'm talking in hindsight obviously but I don't think it took a clairvoyant to see this coming.

Owner/leader aligned with interests of billionaires/corporate interests

Pretends to be for common people/the fans

Won’t put punitive policies or strict regulations in place/consistently blames others and refuses to be accountable for doing “what’s in the best interest of the sport/the greatest good for the greatest number”

Where have we seen this scenario play out?  Can’t think of any recent or relevant examples to apply.

Edited by caulfield12

Maybe MLB will have to go with winning percentages if an uneven number of games are played.  Personally i think the season is doomed.

every team should be doing this shit, why are the Dodgers the only ones?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Yeah, you wanted a season,  now act like it.

38 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

This doesn’t address travel, which is probably where all the Marlins got it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, you wanted a season,  now act like it.

Starts at the top and works it's way down through leadership.  Just look at how well-organized and disciplined the NBA looks in comparison.

32 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How do we feel about this

If Manspread just straight up cancels the season in 48 hours, I hope they sick Joe Kelly on him.

23 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If Manspread just straight up cancels the season in 48 hours, I hope they sick Joe Kelly on him.

If that's true calling up Madrigal today looks really dumb. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If that's true calling up Madrigal today looks really dumb. 

And if they didn’t call him up during a season when the Sox are trying to compete, and the reason was a possible COVID cancellation....fans would go ape. Can’t really have it both ways.

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

And if they didn’t call him up during a season when the Sox are trying to compete, and the reason was a possible COVID cancellation....fans would go ape. Can’t really have it both ways.

I know, it's a catch 22. I'm glad I'm not the one having to make that decision. 

yet again, Florida fucking it up for everyone else.  I hope that hotel bar party was fun, Marlins 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kalapse said:

It's just so darn difficult. Maybe the players and staff don't take this seriously. Half the people out there have their masks pulled down. It's too hard to comply so we have this mess instead. 

48 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

yet again, Florida fucking it up for everyone else.  I hope that hotel bar party was fun, Marlins 

Marlins or Astros for most hated team

Cancel all games for 2 days. Emergency meeting with the PA. Hand them new safety protocols requiring masks at all times (reduces face touching if you’re not removing it), distancing in dugout and on field, penalties for any actions that violate safety protocols up to suspensions and fines, mandatory distancing And masks during travel, and anyone caught in a hotel bar or restaurant or strip club or barber shop without a mask on or too close to anyone to violate the 6 foot rule gets a week suspension.

PA told to take it or season ends.

Sadly, baseball could be serving as an example to the country of how to do things. Instead we are seeing some teams do it better but even within teams we see the range from good to poor examples. These guys stand to make millions and don’t take it seriously enough.  Disappointing as I was looking forward to baseball being my escape and instead COVID will continue as a major story line. 

I wonder if they’ll tell teams to stay home or fly home after Sunday’s games. It makes some sense to regroup before the next domino falls. 60 games seems very unlikely now.

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

I wonder if they’ll tell teams to stay home or fly home after Sunday’s games. It makes some sense to regroup before the next domino falls. 60 games seems very unlikely now.

If baseball shuts down they are probably just gonna have to call it a season. The players stopping and restarting like this is gonna cause injuries