MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you think 14 of 30 members of one organization contracted the virus in... off the field activity? What? I think it's pretty safe to say they contracted it because they were around each other.

One thing is for sure, this just heightened the “back to school” debate by a factor of 5X if the MLB season is already lost in the first week.

Goodbye, any form of football across the entire country.

Golf, tennis, figure skating, individualistic sports (X Games) might be okay, but that’s going to be the extent of it.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you think 14 of 30 members of one organization contracted the virus in... off the field activity? What? I think it's pretty safe to say they contracted it because they were around each other.

It's not that weird, they are in hotels together, traveling together, and maybe some are eating together. They put players lockers far apart, but judging by how they are acting in dugout, who knows how they are acting when in closed air situations.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

One thing is for sure, this just heightened the “back to school” debate by a factor of 5X if the MLB season is already lost in the first week.

Golf, tennis, figure skating, individualistic sports (X Games) might be okay, but that’s going to be the extent of it.

I mean, you can't ignore the success (so far) of the NBA/NHL/MLS.

MLB has never taken this seriously and they have always managed this horribly. I think NFL might be in that boat as well, but you never know.

I doubt anyone finishes their seasons, but the NBA/NHL/MLS have been successful as possible so far. The true test is what happens when someone gets it.

1 minute ago, Butter Parque said:

What proof is there that this would make a difference?

This is kind of like nothing bad can happen if you pray and there is no God to answer your prayers.

There’s plenty of anecdotal evidence it can prevent transmission if you’re already ill, as opposed to getting sick in the first place.  Pretty much the entire medical/scientific community around the world has come around, and 75% of the Republican Party in the last 2-3 weeks.  The principal reason Dr. Fauci was hesitant in the beginning was they were telling him not to encourage a nationwide run on PPE so that there would be enough available to ER/ICU doctors and nurses.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, eventually Donaldson and Cruz will hit that wall...Nelson was in the theoretical final year of his contract.  Oh, well.

To be honest, Donaldson doesn't really scare me too much going forward.  

Just now, caulfield12 said:

This is kind of like nothing bad can happen if you pray and there is no God to answer your prayers.

There’s plenty of anecdotal evidence it can prevent transmission if you’re already ill, as opposed to getting sick in the first place.  Pretty much the entire medical/scientific community around the world has come around, and 75% of the Republican Party in the last 2-3 weeks.  The principal reason Dr. Fauci was hesitant in the beginning was they were telling him not to encourage a nationwide run on PPE so that there would be enough available to ER/ICU doctors and nurses.

It's not anecdotal.

But honestly this is what I want to know. We are focusing on the stuff we can see, but they are outdoors and for the most part have been in sunlight. I'm more concerned about their interactions we can't see.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Here in Texas the consensus seems to be if one sport has to cancel, they all will be cancelled. But I'm holding out hope. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I do not know the answer to this, but my wife told me about an article she read that there is a world class long distance runner who always wears a mask.  So she asked me why can't they do that on a baseball field where they do not put out a consistent exertion like a marathoner.  I said that I did not think that would work with baseball but I do not know for sure.  

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's not anecdotal.

But honestly this is what I want to know. We are focusing on the stuff we can see, but they are outdoors and for the most part have been in sunlight. I'm more concerned about their interactions we can't see.

Like the story of the NBA player who left the bubble and was at strip club?....allegedly

Just now, wegner said:

I do not know the answer to this, but my wife told me about an article she read that there is a world class long distance runner who always wears a mask.  So she asked me why can't they do that on a baseball field where they do not put out a consistent exertion like a marathoner.  I said that I did not think that would work with baseball but I do not know for sure.  

I think more than anything their issue is vision related (obviously it's small but hitting a 95 mph baseball is hard and that's not an issue for a runner), but they should at least wear them in the dugout.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's not anecdotal.

I am sure they are no different from most people in their age bracket. I walked by a restaurant yesterday. Brunch is a huge deal in Chicago. You can serve the crappiest brunch in the world and you will get a crowd. Yesterday, all the tables outside were full, and half of them inside. No one at a table is wearing a mask. People act like it has just gone away, or there is no way they will get it or give it to someone.

Just now, wegner said:

Like the story of the NBA player who left the bubble and was at strip club?....allegedly

Right, but the NBA actually has controls for that. He wasn't allowed in. The mlb would never know.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are collegiate leagues playing all over the country and not a single one has been shut down.  Hopefully everyone won't lose their freakin minds (though it seems like that has already happened) over one horribly ran organization.  

I mean reds just lost Senzel and Moustakas.

Just now, bmags said:

I think more than anything their issue is vision related (obviously it's small but hitting a 95 mph baseball is hard and that's not an issue for a runner), but they should at least wear them in the dugout.

And wear them properly....wearing a mask with your nose hanging out is the same as not wearing it at all, people!!

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

There never will be proof that we did too much, only not enough. 

That’s a side step. The point is people have contracted the Coronavirus while wearing masks religiously, washing hands, etc. I’ve seen it. So to use masks and sitting in the stands as a reason for this occurring is just conjecture.