7/28 Sox/Indians Double Header thread

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I always wanted two arms from the Tier 2 group of starting pitchers. Keuchel and Ryu could have really solidified the rotation until the young arms developed.

How are they going to develop on the bench? You'd be giving up and moving at least one of Kopech/Reylo/Cease to the pen when we already had Gio and Rodon.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Pitchers are getting lit like a cheap Chinese xmas tree. You think it's a coincidence that the one decent game the Sox SP has had was the one McCann started? 

I think if Grandal caught that game, Keuchel would have been just as effective. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

This gamethread is something. 😄

Been a blast, in a way, can’t watch so catching up w this every 15 mins has been highly entertaining. I’d be way more frustrated if watching the actual game!

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Pitchers are getting lit like a cheap Chinese xmas tree. You think it's a coincidence that the one decent game the Sox SP has had was the one McCann started? 

No catcher on the planet could have guided Giolito, Cease and López to quality outings with the garbage those guys were throwing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

🤡

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Honest question, if Grandal is as elite as everyone says, why was he benched in favor of Barnes during the playoffs? 

Cause he usually fades at the end of the year at the plate and behind it.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes I fucking do.  It also happens that the one game you’re referring was started by a veteran, pitchability guy rather than young hurlers.  I’m as frustrated as anyone by the start of the season for this pitching staff, but there are zero conclusions to be gained 3 1/2 games into the season.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Honest question, if Grandal is as elite as everyone says, why was he benched in favor of Barnes during the playoffs? 

Barnes had a 140+ wRC+ and over 3.5 WAR in a partial season that year. Grandal was slumping heavily. 

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Cause he usually fades at the end of the year at the plate and behind it.

And how is that supposed to make Sox fans feel when we have title aspirations over the next 4 years? Spend big money for a guy that you can’t play in October? Weird

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes I fucking do.  It also happens that the one game you’re referring was started by a veteran, pitchability guy rather than young hurlers.  I’m as frustrated as anyone by the start of the season for this pitching staff, but there are zero conclusions to be gained 3 1/2 games into the season.

I agree with you that it's too early to draw any conlusions but I am a bit concerned about Grandal's ability to call a game. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Didn’t he have the yips at the time?  Look, if you want to say he’s overrated in terms of WAR because of his game calling or blocking or some other element of his defense, then so be it.  But the dude is one of the best framers in the game and one of the best offensive catchers and most certainly not a DH or bad catcher like Jack is saying.