7/29 Sox vs Indians GT

soxfan49

Ricky wake up !!!  Giolito said all last year he wants Mc Cann as his catcher. His numbers  proved he was right . I love  Grandal too,  but he can come in after a pitching change or as a pinch  hitter. We Need Giolito to do better this outing. It's very important that the ace pitcher gets his confidence back . Ricky can't you see that ???

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I disagree that McCann should be catching. Giolito needs to be a true ace and not rely on a personal catcher and build comfort with Grandal. Grandal can't be blamed for the awful movement, location and results of first go round from starters. If Giolito looks better today, it's a huge step to steadying the staff going forward. McCann won't be here next season. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I disagree that McCann should be catching. Giolito needs to be a true ace and not rely on a personal catcher and build comfort with Grandal. Grandal can't be blamed for the awful movement, location and results of first go round from starters. If Giolito looks better today, it's a huge step to steadying the staff going forward. McCann won't be here next season. 

Was Greg Maddux a true ace?  He had his personal catcher for years (vs. Javy Lopez, who could hit, but was mediocre defensive catcher at best).  I do think it would be better suited to have McCann back there for Gio, at least early in the season to just do the best we can to get Gio in a groove.  Plus, with McCann and Grandal, we can have one DH and the other catch more than we think to keep both of them fresh (because their bats play) so reality there are plenty of starts at C specific for both of them to get action. In a 60 game season where there will likely be a lot of DH's (rain / covid) - way better to keep our catchers fresh.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Was Greg Maddux a true ace?  He had his personal catcher for years (vs. Javy Lopez, who could hit, but was mediocre defensive catcher at best).  

once again, McCann is gone either at trade deadline or will be a FA. Gio better get comfortable with their All-star catcher. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

once again, McCann is gone either at trade deadline or will be a FA. Gio better get comfortable with their All-star catcher. 

If I were the White Sox - I would keep McCann (if I could).  Pay him fair and have two catchers and use it as a position of strength.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm basing this on a small sample size, but McCann looks like the real deal. Whatever change he made last year seems to be sticking this year (at the plate) and defensively, the dude is top notch in his ability to call a game, etc.  

• Like 2

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the White Sox - I would keep McCann (if I could).  Pay him fair and have two catchers and use it as a position of strength.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm basing this on a small sample size, but McCann looks like the real deal. Whatever change he made last year seems to be sticking this year (at the plate) and defensively, the dude is top notch in his ability to call a game, etc.  

I agree on this. I just feel like Sox need to buy another starter, So an expensive backup seems tough to execute on. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

If it’s real, McCann isn’t going to settle for being a back up catcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If it’s real, McCann isn’t going to settle for being a back up catcher.

I'm thinking in this day and age the definition of a starting catcher is pretty limited.  Reality is you could start these guys each 80 times at catcher plus have them DH another 40-50 games a piece and that is basically a full time starter.  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think its a good use of resources to pay 2 catchers starting salary. McCann certainly shouldn't settle for non-starter salary. The Sox created this and knew it would come to this when they signed Grandal.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm thinking in this day and age the definition of a starting catcher is pretty limited.  Reality is you could start these guys each 80 times at catcher plus have them DH another 40-50 games a piece and that is basically a full time starter.  

I think that is fair. Unfortunately the sox gave Abreu big money and EE is still around next year. Vaughn will be on the team in 2021 most likely as well...so where are the at bats?

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This would only work if another team wasn't going to pay him enough to start 130 games for them. No team pays two catchers All-Star starting salaries.

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I think that is fair. Unfortunately the sox gave Abreu big money and EE is still around next year. Vaughn will be on the team in 2021 most likely as well...so where are the at bats?

No he won't. isnt it an option year?

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

This would only work if another team wasn't going to pay him enough to start 130 games for them. No team pays two catchers All-Star starting salaries.

I should caveat - I am kind of thinking with him not playing a true "full time" role and with the market being supressed from COVID, he won't get a massive offer.  

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We cannot "pay him fair" at this point. We already invested 73m into Grandal, we cant be allocating two significant salaries to the same spot. And no, its not a sunk cost either. If RH tells JR to reopen the wallet at C one year after doing a 4/73, RH knows it will be his job that is similarly sunk. They made a decision and thats that. Hopefully YG turns it around but they are tied to him either way. Giolito needs to learn to be comfortable with him. He'll be here for a long time no matter what.

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I should caveat - I am kind of thinking with him not playing a true "full time" role and with the market being supressed from COVID, he won't get a massive offer.  

Then I would agree. He would be great to have. I'm one of the few that advocated to keep him and not sign Grandal. Not that I don't like Grandal but I thought they could use the money elsewhere since they had McCann.

33 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

That's what they should do. Grandal can probably spell Abreu at 1st too

52 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

So you don't see the urgency to win today?  It's not a 162 season . We Need to win Today !