More rule changes for 2020?

southsider2k5

26 minutes ago, flavum said:

What a ridiculous move. It’s 4 innings, and if the home team wins both, it’s 3 innings of pitching. The season becomes less credible with each new move.

Yeah you'd think there's some sort of life-altering global emergency crisis with all of these crazy new changes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Yeah you'd think there's some sort of life-altering global emergency crisis with all of these crazy new changes

Still not a good enough reason in this case. Major league games are 9 innings until they can’t be because of weather. If they’re there to play, just play it out. It’s a bad rule. The man on 2nd rule, pitchers facing 3 batters, and the 7 inning doubleheader games are dumb. So is expanded playoffs. Everything else, I have no problem, like keeping travel regional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

Doesnt really matter what they do because there is no way this season finishes anyway.

True dat. The Marlins situation will happen again. At least the odds are heavy that there will be teams that explode in number of cases after a road trip.

7 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

Doesnt really matter what they do because there is no way this season finishes anyway.

There's a much higher likelihood that the season finishes.  The Marlins situation was a wake up call for the league.  We'll still see positive tests, but I don't think we'll see another Marlins situation.  There are no players, coaches, or owners that want the season to be cancelled.  It's in their best interest to abide by the rules to keep everyone healthy.

I actually could see making it permanent. Thirty years ago doubleheaders were were common. But they fell out of favor because two nine inning games were too much for fans, didn't work really well for TV, it was difficult on the players especially the bullpens, and the vendors. I'd love a twi-light double header of a scheduled 14 innings. This isn't some sacred tradition handed down by 12th century monks, it's a game. Eventually the old fans will stop complaining about how much better it was in the old days. 

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I actually could see making it permanent. Thirty years ago doubleheaders were were common. But they fell out of favor because two nine inning games were too much for fans, didn't work really well for TV, it was difficult on the players especially the bullpens, and the vendors. I'd love a twi-light double header of a scheduled 14 innings. This isn't some sacred tradition handed down by 12th century monks, it's a game. Eventually the old fans will stop complaining about how much better it was in the old days. 

100% agree.....ok maybe 75%, I am a bit of a traditionalist

12 hours ago, flavum said:

Still not a good enough reason in this case. Major league games are 9 innings until they can’t be because of weather. If they’re there to play, just play it out. It’s a bad rule. The man on 2nd rule, pitchers facing 3 batters, and the 7 inning doubleheader games are dumb. So is expanded playoffs. Everything else, I have no problem, like keeping travel regional. 

Second that. Thats why I want Manfred gone

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The minors have played seven inning games for decades in game two of DHs. With every play and pitch being hyper-analyzed and slowing down the game who knows? 

12 hours ago, flavum said:

I'm actually ok with the bolded. Especially if the league expands to 32 teams soon.

Originally baseball was played until one side scored a set number of runs. The idea of ending on a set inning was unheard of. So y'all already ruined the game with this inning thing. That's not baseball!! Same with the number of players. That came along later. Nine players isn't baseball! 😀 Designated hitter, 162 game season, specialty players like closers and Loogy, it's all  against the traditions. And why not toss in all the advanced metrics that take a computer to calculate? The game is ruined.

The game already changed to slow and football zoomed past it as America's game. If we keep it as a sacred cow it will be butchered. 

Just now, Texsox said:

Originally baseball was played until one side scored a set number of runs. The idea of ending on a set inning was unheard of. So y'all already ruined the game with this inning thing. That's not baseball!! Same with the number of players. That came along later. Nine players isn't baseball! 😀 Designated hitter, 162 game season, specialty players like closers and Loogy, it's all  against the traditions. And why not toss in all the advanced metrics that take a computer to calculate? The game is ruined.

The game already changed to slow and football zoomed past it as America's game. If we keep it as a sacred cow it will be butchered. 

This rule sure would have saved alot of time (and our bullpen) in that first series against the Twins.

It's a stupid rule.

A baseball game is 9 innings.

As the other poster has stated, removing 2 innings of the game (4 innings for the DH) is really inconsequential IMO. They have enough pitchers to make it work, just use your damn minor leagues or something. It's a full team game.

It's not the worst rule in the world (the extra innings guy on second is the worst), but it's pretty stupid. It's all shrouded in the pandemic of course, but I don't buy it. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's a stupid rule.

A United States major league  baseball game is 9 innings.

As the other poster has stated, removing 2 innings of the game (4 innings for the DH) is really inconsequential IMO. They have enough pitchers to make it work, just use your damn minor leagues or something. It's a full team game.

It's not the worst rule in the world (the extra innings guy on second is the worst), but it's pretty stupid. It's all shrouded in the pandemic of course, but I don't buy it. 

fixed

Players seem to like the idea, but what do they know?

In Japan they allow ties. Thus this play until you win is different as they play 12 innings max during the regular season, 15 innings in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

fixed

Players seem to like the idea, but what do they know?

In Japan they allow ties. Thus this play until you win is different as they play 12 innings max during the regular season, 15 innings in the playoffs. 

I'm fine with ties. I'd actually prefer that over a random runner on 2b to start extra innings. 

It's the inconsistency of rules that gets me.

I like that the players union and owners are willing to adapt during the season as problems arise. With games postponed for Covid related issues, it seems reasonable that a lot of doubleheaders will be happening. I could see a point near the end of the season that has playoff implications where teams have two or three doubleheaders in a week. This seems better than having teams like the Marlins forfeit. 

35 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's a stupid rule.

A baseball game is 9 innings.

The Dodgers and Astros still played into the 13th inning Wednesday despite that rule, fwiw.

Otoh, last night, the Padres scored 6 and Giants 1 in the 10th inning and the game was quickly ended...I mean, we can go back to all day games so kids can actually follow the sport and not have to go to bed after 2-4 innings of a typical ALCS/NLCS/WS game, no artificial turf, no DH, no intra-league play, but baseball simply has to change/adapt/evolve.   It's that simple.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Otoh, last night, the Padres scored 6 and Giants 1 in the 10th inning and the game was quickly ended...I mean, we can go back to all day games so kids can actually follow the sport and not have to go to bed after 2-4 innings of a typical ALCS/NLCS/WS game, no artificial turf, no DH, no intra-league play, but baseball simply has to change/adapt/evolve.   It's that simple.

I'm not arguing that it has to adapt -- baseball has a lot of work to do -- I am far from a traditionalist. It's the way they go about it that's a big issue. 

I agree with having DH in both leagues ( consistency of rules is important to me, if one league plays with DH the other should too, etc).

But I don't agree with forcing pitchers to face 3 batters because it will supposedly 'speed up the game'. That IMO is not true. 
I don't agree with starting with a runner on 2b in extra innings because that's fabricated. If a team can't hit against opposing pitchers, those pitchers should be rewarded, not punished further.
Problem with this rule (in this thread) is that every game baseball plays is 9 innings. All the sudden now you are going to make double headers worth 7 inning games. That's inconsistent IMO. It also doesn't cure the problem it tries to cure which is to protect the players IMO. What's 4 more innings? Use the full rosters!