The Panther Prowls The Entire Outfield

wegner

I was surprised to see that MLB Pipeline had given Luis Robert a grade of only 55 for fielding.  I guess that they thought he needed work with his reads and routes?  I did not see him play, except for highlights, in the minors so has he improved that much or did they not realize how much his speed would make up for his routes/reads?  Although he seems like he gets a tremendous jump and reads balls really well off the bat.  Is it that it is difficult to evaluate such an OF talent when they are playing in the relatively smaller minor league parks?  

The most amazing thing for me about his defense so far is how he has made difficult plays look so easy.  His talent is other worldly!!

Terry Francona might have given Robert the best compliment that an opposing manager can give a player..."I'd rather see him play on television."  

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

His range is SO easy. And with the current setup of him and Engel...there will rarely be gappers. 

Pitchers have to love to see him out there....our pitchers, not opposing pitchers that is!!

I don't think it's a positive that he's covering so much of the outfield. I'd like to see the White Sox get some competent outfielders to play on either side of him. I'm afraid that Robert is going to get hurt trying to cover so much of the outfield. Plus if he was allowed to just focus on CF, he could be god-like.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The only thing he lacks is an elite arm.  He has a very strong one, especially for CF, but that's a minor quibble to say he's not elite in one of the five tool areas.

The player he reminds me of in terms of the way he glides after balls in CF is either Devon White or Eric Davis....but he's much stronger physically than both of those guys.   He's also getting into some bad habits about how he catches the ball and eventually that will come back to bite him and one will drop embarrassingly and that will be that, but that swagger's always going to be part of his game, and that's a strength, too.   He's not quite showboating out there, but eventually he's going to learn how to give way to the corners and infielders and not try to take every single ball hit in his direction.

Fwiw, can't even imagine what it would have been like to have a team with Robert, Moncada and Tatis, Jr., (Jimenez is capable of being a great hitter, but lacks the overall athleticism/coordination/agility those guys possess) all on the field simultaneously.   But who knows, maybe Elijah will hit a growth spurt just like his older brother did and fill out and develop enough strength to hit 15-20 homers from the middle infield, becoming our own version of CJ Abrams.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

I don't think it's a positive that he's covering so much of the outfield. I'd like to see the White Sox get some competent outfielders to play on either side of him. I'm afraid that Robert is going to get hurt trying to cover so much of the outfield. Plus if he was allowed to just focus on CF, he could be god-like.

My greatest fear is a Robert-Eloy collision out there.

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Well he has been calling guys off who were already camped under the ball. 

7 hours ago, wegner said:

I was surprised to see that MLB Pipeline had given Luis Robert a grade of only 55 for fielding.  I guess that they thought he needed work with his reads and routes?  I did not see him play, except for highlights, in the minors so has he improved that much or did they not realize how much his speed would make up for his routes/reads?  Although he seems like he gets a tremendous jump and reads balls really well off the bat.  Is it that it is difficult to evaluate such an OF talent when they are playing in the relatively smaller minor league parks?  

The most amazing thing for me about his defense so far is how he has made difficult plays look so easy.  His talent is other worldly!!

Terry Francona might have given Robert the best compliment that an opposing manager can give a player..."I'd rather see him play on television."  

I think I've posted this before, but via gameday data - which is really the only "data" we have for a lot of minor leaguer defense - Robert was the second best defensive player in the minors last year.

"ZiPS projects Robert to be a +4 defensive player in center field, a solidly average contribution at a position where there are lots of excellent defensive players. But there’s perhaps more reason to think that could be wrong in this instance than with the typical player. ZiPS was ambivalent about Robert’s defense over his first two minor league seasons, both of which were hampered by injuries. In 2019, using the probabilistic estimates I used for minor leaguers based on Gameday hit location data, zDEF really liked Robert’s defense. Of all minor leaguers at all positions, ZiPS had Robert as the second-best defensive player, at +20.9 total defensive runs in the outfield (+20.5 range, +0.5 error, -0.2 arm), behind only Michael Siani of the Reds. That comes down to +4 because it’s just a single year of less-than-ideal defensive data. But what if Robert’s a +14 defensive player rather than a +4 one?"

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-white-sox-playoff-road-is-parallel-to-the-luis-robert-expressway/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The only thing he lacks is an elite arm.  He has a very strong one, especially for CF, but that's a minor quibble to say he's not elite in one of the five tool areas.

The player he reminds me of in terms of the way he glides after balls in CF is either Devon White or Eric Davis....but he's much stronger physically than both of those guys.   He's also getting into some bad habits about how he catches the ball and eventually that will come back to bite him and one will drop embarrassingly and that will be that, but that swagger's always going to be part of his game, and that's a strength, too.   He's not quite showboating out there, but eventually he's going to learn how to give way to the corners and infielders and not try to take every single ball hit in his direction.

Fwiw, can't even imagine what it would have been like to have a team with Robert, Moncada and Tatis, Jr., (Jimenez is capable of being a great hitter, but lacks the overall athleticism/coordination/agility those guys possess) all on the field simultaneously.   But who knows, maybe Elijah will hit a growth spurt just like his older brother did and fill out and develop enough strength to hit 15-20 homers from the middle infield, becoming our own version of CJ Abrams.

Please, stop.

It's not swagger. Two hand catching and catching the ball above the bill of your cap does not help you catch a ball more often. We're not teaching 8 year olds who are scared of the baseball.

• Like 2