July 31

Blackout Friday

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Not necessarily. Counsel for the player could easily argue its distinguishable from Bryant since the Bryant case still involved actual minor league games as opposed to just taxi squad practices. Actual games against a variety of different opponents and pitchers is much more specifically  tailored for real, legitimate player development than not even playing actual games and doing just drills and BP against the same small set of guys, which wouldn't even involve scouting reports and the same type of film study and preparation as the real thing. 

Thats why the Sox need to wait a "decent interval" after the point when the extra year was obtained to try and proactively defang an argument like this, so that they can make it look like the demotion wasn't just a pretext for service time (even though it plainly is). I also would expect, if it got to an actual arbitration, for the Sox to point out that the Sox were struggling at 2-4 and in need of a major upgrade at 2nd, particularly defensively, given Garcia's errors, and yet still kept Madrigal down for another 3 games which would actually translate to almost 10 games in a normal season.

In 2014, in 594 PA Kris Bryant put up an 1,.100 OPS in the minors. He then led the 2015 Cubs in Spring Training HRs before he was sent down for more seasoning. Madrigal has 532 career plate appearances and didn't hit .200 in the spring. There is zero change he would ever win a grievance. But everyone knows why he is where he is. I just hate the lip service provided. There is nothing he is doing now that will make him more prepared than he was last week.  Just say he is working on some things, hopefully we see him soon. Not the 'he's really close". Exactly what does he have to do in batting practice for a promotion?

Just now, Dick Allen said:

In 2014, in 594 PA Kris Bryant put up an 1,.100 OPS in the minors. He then led the 2015 Cubs in Spring Training HRs before he was sent down for more seasoning. Madrigal has 532 career plate appearances and didn't hit .200 in the spring. There is zero change he would ever win a grievance. But everyone knows why he is where he is. I just hate the lip service provided. There is nothing he is doing now that will make him more prepared than he was last week.  Just say he is working on some things, hopefully we see him soon. Not the 'he's really close". Exactly what does he have to do in batting practice for a promotion?

I hear you but since this is not a normal year with normal minor league games, so its harder to hide the clubs true intent so they have to be extra cautious in how they handle it.

I too would prefer him to be in KC tomorrow cause I'm sick of Leury and Mendick at 2B but if they can't take 2 of 3 from KC because of a lack of Madrigal then we have alot bigger problems than any of this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

I hear you but since this is not a normal year with normal minor league games, so its harder to hide the clubs true intent so they have to be extra cautious in how they handle it.

I too would prefer him to be in KC tomorrow cause I'm sick of Leury and Mendick at 2B but if they can't take 2 of 3 from KC because of a lack of Madrigal then we have alot bigger problems than any of this kind of stuff.

If I were a GM, I would give a much more generic answer, and probably wonder why I am being asked a question where everyone knows the answer. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If I were a GM, I would give a much more generic answer, and probably wonder why I am being asked a question where everyone knows the answer. 

As the Director of Player Development, I'm sure he is wondering the same thing. However, he has to give that answer he can;t just say no comment. It's a CYA answer to protect against a grievance. It's BS but that needs to be the answer.

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Sox keeping Madrigal down was obviously about service time manipulation.  Everyone knows it.  But the Sox will keep him down for an additional couple games just so they can say it wasn't about service time manipulation.  So predictable.

Because it's good for the team, that's why all teams do it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Not that.  The predictable part is that the Sox will keep him down an extra couple days so they can pretend it wasn't about service time.

Sorry, you are correct.

Meh, neither Leury nor Mendick are good, but neither Leury nor Mendick are underperforming as pitchers. At the same time, it wasn't exactly like Madrigal was scorching line drives in every PA, stealing bases like henderson, and throwing leather around like Morgan during summer camp.

This team is 2-4 [roughly translated to 5-11 in a 162 game season] because the pitching has been disappointing so far. I doubt that Madrigal would have single-handedly reversed this record were he here instead of Schaumburg.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, neither Leury nor Mendick are good, but neither Leury nor Mendick are underperforming as pitchers. At the same time, it wasn't exactly like Madrigal was scorching line drives in every PA, stealing bases like henderson, and throwing leather around like Morgan during summer camp.

This team is 2-4 [roughly translated to 5-11 in a 162 game season] because the pitching has been disappointing so far. I doubt that Madrigal would have single-handedly reversed this record were he here instead of Schaumburg.

Arguably we could have won the opener without the horrible defense at second and been 3 - 4.

Even with the shortened season, it’s too early to place much emphasis on the record.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Arguably we could have won the opener without the horrible defense at second and been 3 - 4.

Even with the shortened season, it’s too early to place much emphasis on the record.

With all due respect ....We are 2 - 4 that = 6. If we won the opener we could not be 3- 4 .... we would be 3 - 3 . I think that's what you meant to say . And I agree with you about the horrible defense . Nick is on his way !

Dallas Keuchel vs. Kris Bubic (LHP)

The 22-year-old left-hander has never pitched above Class A. “We’ll let him have an opportunity,” manager Mike Matheny said. “I’m excited to watch him. He’s shown us he’s ready. He was phenomenal last year. Everything we saw has shown us he’s ready.”

Gio Gonzalez (first career White Sox start) vs. TBD

Dylan Cease vs. TBD

1 hour ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

With all due respect ....We are 2 - 4 that = 6. If we won the opener we could not be 3- 4 .... we would be 3 - 3 . I think that's what you meant to say . And I agree with you about the horrible defense . Nick is on his way !

Yea Frank, what you said brother. 😆

Edited by hi8is
What a difference a game makes.

12 hours ago, Kalapse said:

Madrigal is still in Schaumburg because the season will be cancelled or paused soon and this way the Sox can hold him out for the first month of 2021 and get another year of control!

They're going to being playing the World Series and the media and covid doomsday fans will still be saying the season will be canceled.

I get it, you're mad sports are being played, you want them canceled until 2050 or whatever. Keep being wrong though, it's pretty obvious they'll play this out in whatever way they can.

39 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

They're going to being playing the World Series and the media and covid doomsday fans will still be saying the season will be canceled.

I get it, you're mad sports are being played, you want them canceled until 2050 or whatever. Keep being wrong though, it's pretty obvious they'll play this out in whatever way they can.

CeaseAndExit.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Dallas Keuchel vs. Kris Bubic (LHP)

The 22-year-old left-hander has never pitched above Class A. “We’ll let him have an opportunity,” manager Mike Matheny said. “I’m excited to watch him. He’s shown us he’s ready. He was phenomenal last year. Everything we saw has shown us he’s ready.”

Gio Gonzalez (first career White Sox start) vs. TBD

Dylan Cease vs. TBD

I wish they could have found a way to break up the two soft-tossing lefties.  Maybe the next turn through the rotation they can bump Cease up a spot.

7 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

1) it was a joke 2) 20% of the league will not play tonight due to positive Covid tests.