The LEGEND of Luis Robert ESPN feature article

caulfield12

48 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Love the Cuban history with this franchise, probably helped land Robert

Minoso, El Duque, Contreras, Alexei, Viciedo, Abreu, Moncada, Nieto, Robert, now Grandal and this teen pitcher

Always loved the Trout comparison for obvious reasons, but it makes a lot of sense

https://www.mlb.com/news/the-white-sox-deep-cuban-connection

According to this article from Scott Merkin, there have been 20 in White Sox history.    Yonder Alonso and John Jay are two more with Cuban roots, along with Carlos Rodon.  Odrisamer Despaigne last year pitched for the White Sox. Jose Canseco would be yet another.  Norge Carlos Vera, the teenage pitcher you mentioned.

Of course, there's also the present pursuit of Oscar Colas, as well as Yoelkis Cespedes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/09/sports/baseball/white-sox-cuban-players.html

"and on multiple occasions in 2014, the team used four Cuban players in the same lineup — Abreu, Alexei Ramirez, Dayan Viciedo and Adrian Nieto. No other team had done that in 45 years."

Not sure where to put this, but the Baseball Tonight panel just did a "which young player is the best" segment. No one mentioned anyone on the Sox, but Passan ended it by saying "my son is a Royals fan and none of us mentioned those guys with the White Sox. Robert, Moncada and Jimenez. They are going to be GOOD, boys."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Not sure where to put this, but the Baseball Tonight panel just did a "which young player is the best" segment. No one mentioned anyone on the Sox, but Passan ended it by saying "my son is a Royals fan and none of us mentioned those guys with the White Sox. Robert, Moncada and Jimenez. They are going to be GOOD, boys."

I turned on the Yankees/Red Sox game for 30 seconds and heard the announcer refer to Gio Urshela as "the best third baseman in the American League right now". I'm sorry, Urshela is a nice player, but I would take (no order) Bregman, Chapman, Rendon, Donaldson, Moncada, Ramirez, and Devers over him. That's half of the American League's third basemen.

I guess this is a roundabout way of saying that, despite all this amazing young talent we have, a very brief stroll over to national baseball talking heads is a funny reminder that nobody else will care unless they get traded to [insert big market team here]

• Like 1

He is going to eventually hit a slump...it happens, but the guys tools are just off the chart.  This entire offense is full of guys who are just fun to watch, where you want to see what they might do. I feel like any inning (no matter who is leading it off) the squad is capable of putting a crooked number (or more) on the board.  

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I turned on the Yankees/Red Sox game for 30 seconds and heard the announcer refer to Gio Urshela as "the best third baseman in the American League right now". I'm sorry, Urshela is a nice player, but I would take (no order) Bregman, Chapman, Rendon, Donaldson, Moncada, Ramirez, and Devers over him. That's half of the American League's third basemen.

I guess this is a roundabout way of saying that, despite all this amazing young talent we have, a very brief stroll over to national baseball talking heads is a funny reminder that nobody else will care unless they get traded to [insert big market team here]

I believe he qualified his comment...'defensive' 3rd baseman. 

1/6th of the season will quickly be 1/5th after just three more games.

At any rate, just the glimpse...if things were to shut down...has got the entire fanbase charged up and dreaming for the first time since August, 2008, about a World Series team again.  If not 2020, in 2021 with Vaughn, Kopech and a couple more pitching additions as well as Pederson/Springer (dream on, I know.)

Not to mention Oscar Colas.

55 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's Bo Jackson if Bo only focused on baseball from the time he was 10 or so.  I think that's the comp.  He is the best athlete I have ever seen in a Sox uniform.  In fact he makes guys like Anderson and Moncada look pedestrian.  

Sosa when he first came up was a five tool guy...in fact, hitting homers and for average were the two weakest points.

Kenny Williams

Ray Durham

Luis Aparicio

Canseco in 2001

Mike Cameron

Tatis Brothers

Shoeless Joe Jackson

Minnie Minoso 

Lance Johnson

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's Bo Jackson if Bo only focused on baseball from the time he was 10 or so.  I think that's the comp.  He is the best athlete I have ever seen in a Sox uniform.  In fact he makes guys like Anderson and Moncada look pedestrian.  

Glad to see I am not alone in this comp.  This kid is a pretty unique set of tools as a baseball player.  I have no doubt that if he decided to play football, basketball, soccer, hockey or whatever, he would have been one of the best in the world at it.  He just has a special set of athletic abilities.  We talk about 5 tool athletes, but Robert might have multiple 70 to 80 grades on some of these tools, and you don't find that but once in a generation or so.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Actually this isn't bad. But I actually think he still has that rawness Bo had due to the competition left in Cuba and his year or so time off. 

I think Luis Robert , if he stays healthy, will be the greatest player the Sox ever had.  He probably develops a better eye, but if he doesn't, he can destroy bad pitches, and doesn't miss many hittable ones. The Big Hurt is a better hitter, and probably always will be, but you take everything else, this guy is unreal.

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You're underselling Moncada.  

Trust me I saw Yoan go from 1st to 3rd in a spring training game in 2018 and thought that's the best athlete I've ever seen in a Sox uniform.  Robert is like Lebron on those Heat teams tho.  Even prime Wade is going to be overshadowed.