The LEGEND of Luis Robert ESPN feature article

caulfield12

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So why are we allowing so much snark about Madrigal’s limitations, when he answered all those questions in his first full minor league season?

Because it was the minor leagues. He hasn't answered anything in the majors yet

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

So why are we allowing so much snark about Madrigal’s limitations, when he answered all those questions in his first full minor league season?

With Eloy, we already have had how many defensive “incidents” in the past 15 months?   We also know he has one of the weaker throwing arms from the position.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be the next JD Martinez, but it has to be at least SOMEWHAT of a concern to White Sox fans.

People gave up on Madrigal after his first eight at-bats, in games the White Sox actually WON. 

Will you do us all a favor and let us know what posts we are allowed to respond to?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Will you do us all a favor and let us know what posts we are allowed to respond to?

We’re reaching the point where we are getting good again...and the company line is going to be don’t criticize anyone, other than a few designated scapegoats and Renteria.

It hasn’t happened yet, groupthink setting in, when you can only praise the team or be considered as a dark cloud, but it will happen soon enough.

Maybe it’s worth it, as long as we have a winning team, it could be considered a fair trade.

It was the undoing of WSI.   But that’s because the mods forced this “must adhere to our viewpoint/s strictly” mentality.

I mean, I get it.  Parkman has Giolito that he has to defend at all costs.  For me, I will never say anything bad about Robert and Madrigal...heck, was the same with Dayan Viciedo.  But, at a certain point, you lose the forest for the trees and stop being objective about “your” players.   Everyone will always have their favorites, that’s never going to change.  And perhaps I don’t appreciate Jimenez because I’ve allowed “WAR is God” to seap in too much into evaluating, which will always over-reward certain types of players and especially positions like SS and CFers.

So I can HOPE Eloy Jimenez becomes the next Alex Gordon out there, while mainly just hoping he never hurts himself, or Moncada/TA/Robert around him. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

We’re reaching the point where we are getting good again...and the company line is going to be don’t criticize anyone, other than a few designated scapegoats and Renteria.

It hasn’t happened yet, groupthink setting in, when you can only praise the team or be considered as a dark cloud, but it will happen soon enough.

Maybe it’s worth it, as long as we have a winning team, it’s a trade well worth making.

It was the undoing of WSI.   But that’s because the mods forced this “must adhere to our viewpoint/s strictly” mentality.

I mean, I get it.  Parkman has Giolito that he has to defend at all costs.  For me, I will never say anything bad about Robert and Madrigal...heck, was the same with Dayan Viciedo.  But, at a certain point, you lose the forest for the trees and stop being objective about “your” players.   Everyone will always have their favorites, that’s never going to change.  And perhaps I don’t appreciate Jimenez because I’ve allowed “WAR is God” to seap in too much into evaluating, which will always over-reward certain types of players and especially positions like SS and CFers.

So I can HOPE Eloy Jimenez becomes the next Alex Gordon out there, while mainly just hoping he never hurts himself, or Moncada/TA/Robert around him. 

That is a lot of words that mean absolutely nothing.  Again, let us know when people aren't allowed to respond to your posts and which ones.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is a lot of words that mean absolutely nothing.  Again, let us know when people aren't allowed to respond to your posts and which ones.

Sounds good!  The bottom line is that I will never forgive Hahn for that idiotic Shields trade...not until we at least get back to the ALCS.  Thankfully, Luis Robert arrived on the scene or we would have been one true impact player short. But I don’t have any reason to believe that Hahn and not KW was the main reason that got done.   Secondly, I have never understood hero-worshipping Hahn while denigrating KW, when the latter has been responsible for evaluating and bringing in the majority of talent.  This idea of Hahn, Genius on a Leash, with KW, Destroyer of the Franchise, has never made any sense, at all.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sounds good!  The bottom line is that I will never forgive Hahn for that idiotic Shields trade...not until we at least get back to the ALCS. 

This is fine, but why does it make you incapable of complimenting Robert/Moncada/Jimenez without bringing up Tatis/Semien? We all are well aware that those players used to be in the White Sox organization and were traded. On the other hand, the Sox are a likely playoff team with a talented young core that is good enough to be complimented without constant invocations of players who aren't on the team.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is fine, but why does it make you incapable of complimenting Robert/Moncada/Jimenez without bringing up Tatis/Semien? We all are well aware that those players used to be in the White Sox organization and were traded. On the other hand, the Sox are a likely playoff team with a talented young core that is good enough to be complimented without constant invocations of players who aren't on the team.

There it is.

19 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Those who live in the past suffer depression

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety

Only those who live in the present can be truly content

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There it is.

38 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I started this particular Robert thread, lol.  I have never said anything but positive things about him.  I guess with Moncada, I don’t remember anything particularly negative other than the identical concerns many expressed in 2017-18 about contact and switch-hitting from the RH side, as well as susceptibility to injuries.   With Jimenez, it’s strictly a matter of hoping for defensive improvements and more emphasis on that aspect of his game, as well as improving his throwing motion/mechanics from the OF.  

Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Still vote strong for a board filter to be implemented, replacing Tatis for “he who shall not be named”

We need to pretend like he was never here. He never played affiliated ball in the States with the Sox. 

I approve this post because it's going to be an issue for the next decade and a half at least. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We need to pretend like he was never here. He never played affiliated ball in the States with the Sox. 

I approve this post because it's going to be an issue for the next decade and a half at least. 

Kind of like Cub fans and Jimenez and Cease. Except these two are in the sports news in town much more.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Those who live in the past suffer depression

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety

Only those who live in the present can be truly content

Well, you’ve just captured quite accurately the fragile state of most Americans in mid-2020.

That said, I’m not sure that an MLB messageboard is the best place to turn for psychological interventions, lol.   Liberation after essentially being quarantined inside home for 8 months will lift the mood surely enough, so will returning to reconnect with students and colleagues and finally readjusting to a normalized routine again.  

Generally, walking and excessive sunshine do the trick, most days.  Or sappy Korean dramas, haha.  Labrador retriever puppies. Legos with my 5 year old.  Being able to go back to the movie theatre again. 

Unfortunately, we’ve already lost two teachers to complete mental breakdowns, but those were 50% excessive alcohol consumption-induced.  That’s one thing I don’t have to worry about, at least.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This will never work in a million years because...Elijah.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Kind of like Cub fans and Jimenez and Cease. Except these two are in the sports news in town much more.

I'm convinced that the rebuild doesn't happen without Tatis getting traded. That was the "oh shit what have I done?" moment where Hahn/KW re-evaluated the team and convinced JR to do it. 

So we can have Tatis, but then we don't have Moncada/Robert/Eloy et al. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, you’ve just captured quite accurately the fragile state of most Americans in mid-2020.

That said, I’m not sure that an MLB messageboard is the best place to turn for psychological interventions, lol.   Liberation after essentially being quarantined inside home for 8 months will lift the mood surely enough, so will returning to reconnect with students and colleagues and finally readjusting to a normalized routine again.  

Generally, walking and excessive sunshine do the trick, most days.  Or sappy Korean dramas, haha.  Labrador retriever puppies. Legos with my 5 year old.  Being able to go back to the movie theatre again. 

Unfortunately, we’ve already lost two teachers to complete mental breakdowns, but those were 50% excessive alcohol consumption-induced.  That’s one thing I don’t have to worry about, at least.

Its a paraphrase from Lao Tzu. I wish I could take credit for it.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm convinced that the rebuild doesn't happen without Tatis getting traded. That was the "oh shit what have I done?" moment where Hahn/KW re-evaluated the team and decided to do it. 

So we can have Tatis, but then we don't have Moncada/Robert/Eloy et al. 

I'm convinced that was JR finally allowed them to do it. They both had pushed to do a total rebuild for awhile.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I'm convinced that was JR finally allowed them to do it. They both had pushed to do a total rebuild for awhile.

The scary part is if we made the playoffs in 2016, got routed and a certain SD shortstop had disappeared into the ether...it would pretty much be like 2013-2015 all over again, except six plus years of losing baseball in all likelihood.