The LEGEND of Luis Robert ESPN feature article

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Of course Dad is going to say that. the kid needs a contract.

Pretty sure that family is about to be set for life financially.  $500k won’t matter much in the overall scheme of things.  It was essentially a do over for the Sox, mostly for fighting hard at the last second to sign the older brother in the first place when he was going elsewhere.  And pre-existing relationships between Sr. and Sox execs, especially KW and Paddy.

Yeah, it's pre-existing relationships, which is why the Sox are favored to sign the youngest, who again, is supposed to be good.  Disturbing to see that, if you read between the lines, his own father doesn't think that Elijah works that hard to get better.

Am I the only person who feels like this article was written in a negative light by FG to act like they were right on Luis Robert and there mid-teens prospect ranking?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/luis-robert-is-doing-a-lot-of-things/

Guy is leading the AL in fWAR, and this article feels like a deep dive into his flaws.

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Am I the only person who feels like this article was written in a negative light by FG to act like they were right on Luis Robert and there mid-teens prospect ranking?

Guy is leading the AL in fWAR, and this article feels like a deep dive into his flaws.

Yeah, trying to make excuses as to why they didn't rank him as high as others.  "opinions widely varied" only because of their publication. No one else's opinion varied.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah, it's pre-existing relationships, which is why the Sox are favored to sign the youngest, who again, is supposed to be good.  Disturbing to see that, if you read between the lines, his own father doesn't think that Elijah works that hard to get better.

Of course, part of that drive came from being traded before he ever had an opportunity to play a MiLB game.

Most importantly, growing from 5'11" to 6' 3 1/2" inches in 18 months.

Elijah is still just 5'10" or 5'11," at least at this point.

There's another reading on this.  He has even more natural ability than his older brother, but hasn't reached his potential or been forced to really push himself...having gotten by on talent and family name alone so far.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Actually, the quote says the Jr. works harder, not the Elijah does not work hard.  A subtle but important distinction.

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually thought it was pretty fair. They gushed about a lot of his tools, but the swing and whiff criticisms are fair, and we've definitely seen the last couple of games how they can severely limit his impact.

20 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yeah, trying to make excuses as to why they didn't rank him as high as others.  "opinions widely varied" only because of their publication. No one else's opinion varied.

They said that "opinions widely varied" specifically about "heading into 2019" - i.e., coming off his up and down year where he missed a lot of time due to injury. Opinions at that point DID vary widely, but became uniform (other than FG ofc) after his breakout 2019 season, which they note in the very next sentence: "Those opinions got considerably more uniform after a breakout season that saw Robert tap into his power."

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, ptatc said:

Frank Thomas is in the picture. While not a comparable defensive player, He was a much better hitter early on.

Yeah, I do remember Frank's early years but I was definitely too young at the time to know anything about minor league prospects. That's why I said "I have seen" because I originally typed "the White Sox have ever had" and I know that was too strong a statement 

On 8/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I thought this article was fair, honestly. His ceiling is like... Mike Trout, Ken Griffey Jr., but whether he gets there as a hitter depends on a few things, and his current level of plate discipline ain't it. The current book on him that every pitcher has right now is to throw breaking stuff off the outside corner because he'll swing at anything. This is a hurdle of his he's gonna have to overcome otherwise his batting average is unsustainable.

featured_channel.jpg?v=5d97eb76

0:00 / 3:14
White Sox rookie Luis Robert is the name you need to know when it comes to newcomers in MLB. His emphatic playing style along with his cool demeanor make him one of the most exciting players in MLB, even as a rookie. Get to know the Cuban sensation as he makes a name for himself in Chicago!

I saw the preview for this just now during the game, Eloy Jimenez calls him "the next Mike Trout."
Edited by caulfield12

The thing that makes trout special is that he has almost a 1 to 1 walk to k rate (at least the last 4-5 years) while hitting 40 bombs. That combination is really rare, the last before trout really was prime pujols who did the same (pujols even walked more than he struck out), mookie betts is kinda like that too albeit it is more 30 than 40 hr power.

That level is almost impossible to attain but it is possible to still be elite with a worse k to bb rate if power and contact quality is there.

Robert will never be trout or pujols because of the k to bb rate but tatis JR and acuna also had very bad k to bb rates in the minors and are still way more Ks and they are elite.

If robert can tighten up that k/bb from 4-5/1 to 2.5-3/1 he will be an absolute elite player. Still work to do to get there though but it is possible.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:13 AM, Dominikk85 said:

The thing that makes trout special is that he has almost a 1 to 1 walk to k rate (at least the last 4-5 years) while hitting 40 bombs. That combination is really rare, the last before trout really was prime pujols who did the same (pujols even walked more than he struck out), mookie betts is kinda like that too albeit it is more 30 than 40 hr power.

That level is almost impossible to attain but it is possible to still be elite with a worse k to bb rate if power and contact quality is there.

Robert will never be trout or pujols because of the k to bb rate but tatis JR and acuna also had very bad k to bb rates in the minors and are still way more Ks and they are elite.

If robert can tighten up that k/bb from 4-5/1 to 2.5-3/1 he will be an absolute elite player. Still work to do to get there though but it is possible.

Yeah I think the progression for Robert will not be from his current play to trout/betts, but to continue to get smarter like Anderson in still being aggressive, but still more selection.

I think he'll have more walks than Tim, but as long as he can stay in that 20% range like TA, his speed/power will be so valuable when you add in his defense.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:13 AM, Dominikk85 said:

Trout has had k rates has high as 26% multiple times in his career. His adjustment to not striking out came over the past couple years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah I think the progression for Robert will not be from his current play to trout/betts, but to continue to get smarter like Anderson in still being aggressive, but still more selection.

I think he'll have more walks than Tim, but as long as he can stay in that 20% range like TA, his speed/power will be so valuable when you add in his defense.

While Robert will likely be much better, I think his progression at the plate will mirror Anderson's. Anderson's second at-bat against Boyd last night in the second inning was a fantastic display of his growth as a hitter since 2016. I think we'll be seeing Robert have similar ABs in coming years, once he starts laying off sliders and forcing pitchers to come into the zone like Anderson does now

• Like 1