The LEGEND of Luis Robert ESPN feature article

caulfield12

18 minutes ago, mqr said:

Robert doing the damage he has, with the plate approach that he has, is legitimately one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. I do not understand how it's possible. He should be like early Javy Baez or something the way he goes about his attack. Instead he's been one of the best players in baseball already. 

He actually might end up being the best player in baseball. 

Yeah I think this is right. Especially after Eloy's first year. Eloy seemed to have truly. mastered AAA before coming up and was lost at the movement. Robert was still having some crazy bad games, I thought he'd be swinging and missing at everything and getting fed 100% sliders. He does K and get impatient, but he also is goading pitchers into certain pitches and laying off just enough on sliders that he gets to beat the crap out of baseballs.

20 minutes ago, mqr said:

I still like Anderson, Moncada, Abreu at the top for now

What about Anderson, Moncada, Robert, Abreu? Abreu has been pretty good in the clean up spot. Or move him to 5th behind Abreu and Jimenez

Anderson

Moncada

Robert

Abreu

Jimenez

Grandal

EE/McCann

Mazara

Madrigal

Edited by BigHurt3515

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

What about Anderson, Moncada, Robert, Abreu? Abreu has been pretty good in the clean up spot. Or move him to 5th behind Abreu and Jimenez

Anderson

Moncada

Robert

Abreu

Jiminez

Grandal

EE/McCann

Mazara

Madrigal

I’ll meet you at 5th. I still think he might be a little too streaky to want penciled in at leadoff. 

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Yeah probably, just the first person who came to mind who was as swing happy. 

Agreed, I'm just saying that's the reason why.

His power and speed just mean he gets more hits on what he does make contact with, even though Baez is no slouch himself.

It's scary, in a good way, that he's nowhere near his potential.  Steve Stone was saying last night that he swings at 60% of the pitches he sees, and that will have to change.  He still needs to learn about plate discipline and how to lay off bad pitches.  As he learns, he going to get better and better.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Robert has impressed me with his baseball IQ.  He looked to be sitting on the slider up 2-0 in the count. He’s made smart decisions on the bases and in the field as well.

There are a lot of things people have been surprised by with Robert, such as "I didn't know he was that good defensively, I didn't know he was that fast" that were pretty obvious to those who have watched or followed him in the minors. However, his baseball IQ, work ethic, and analytical mindset were not widely discussed or publicized prior to his MLB arrival. Combined, they give me hope that he won't "just" stall out as a top 5 player in the AL, but that he'll maximize his potential and become a perennial MVP candidate.

• Like 2