The LEGEND of Luis Robert ESPN feature article

caulfield12

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There are a lot of things people have been surprised by with Robert, such as "I didn't know he was that good defensively, I didn't know he was that fast" that were pretty obvious to those who have watched or followed him in the minors. However, his baseball IQ, work ethic, and analytical mindset were not widely discussed or publicized prior to his MLB arrival. Combined, they give me hope that he won't "just" stall out as a top 5 player in the AL, but that he'll maximize his potential and become a perennial MVP candidate.

I can't believe how "ready" he has been.  I figured with his K numbers, he would struggle early on.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There are a lot of things people have been surprised by with Robert, such as "I didn't know he was that good defensively, I didn't know he was that fast" that were pretty obvious to those who have watched or followed him in the minors. However, his baseball IQ, work ethic, and analytical mindset were not widely discussed or publicized prior to his MLB arrival. Combined, they give me hope that he won't "just" stall out as a top 5 player in the AL, but that he'll maximize his potential and become a perennial MVP candidate.

Honestly I thought he’d be good defensively just BECAUSE he was so fast, but nobody ever talked about his defense the way they do about Christian Pache or the like.

His defensive instincts and jumps are really good, he’s not just fast. His defense has been a surprise in how plus it’s been to me.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, BigHurt3515 said:

What about Anderson, Moncada, Robert, Abreu? Abreu has been pretty good in the clean up spot. Or move him to 5th behind Abreu and Jimenez

Anderson

Moncada

Robert

Abreu

Jimenez

Grandal

EE/McCann

Mazara

Madrigal

I've been saying this for a week but....

Tim

Moncada

Abreu

Robert

Eloy

Grandal/McCann

EE/McCann

Mazara

Madrigal

I know lefty righty but who cares at this point, we can deal with that next year. Robert's OBP isn't as high as you'd like at 4, but he produces runs. Grandal has a nice OBP but he isn't driving people in enough to be fourth.  

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I've been saying this for a week but....

Tim

Moncada

Abreu

Robert

Eloy

Grandal/McCann

EE/McCann

Mazara

Madrigal

I know lefty righty but who cares at this point, we can deal with that next year. Robert's OBP isn't as high as you'd like at 4, but he produces runs. Grandal has a nice OBP but he isn't driving people in enough to be fourth.  

I'm still hitting Eloy ahead of Robert, but I'd think about swapping him and moncada for the time being. 

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm still hitting Eloy ahead of Robert, but I'd think about swapping him and moncada for the time being. 

That lineup is for now. Robert needs to bat 4th ahead of Eloy until Eloy has a string of success at the plate. Right now, Robert would be protecting the heck out of Abreu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't believe how "ready" he has been.  I figured with his K numbers, he would struggle early on.

Back before the season, somewhere I have a post saying that my prediction this year would be that the statement "White Sox rookies always struggle" would have to be amended with the phrase "Except Luis Robert" for the next howevermany years.

There's some level of skill at this game where a guy is just ready. Juan Soto, Luis Robert, they come up and they're just that good.

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

As did I. While his contact rate is about what I figured, he is killing the ball whenever he makes contact.

American League

1. Luis Robert, CF, Chicago White Sox

Stats: 2.0 WAR; 145 OPS+; .278/.331/.586; 8 2B; 11 HR; 27 RBI; 4 SB

Robert is an elite defensive center fielder, currently leading the majors in defensive runs saved with above-average range in all directions. He’s a true five-tool player, a special athlete with incredible strength and power throughout his game. Robert has an unlimited ceiling and I consider him the best overall rookie in the sport both short and long term.

Rick Hahn, White Sox GM: “Even with all of us entering the year knowing what Luis was capable of doing given his tools and makeup, I think, candidly, that he has exceeded our expectations. His maturity and ability to adjust have both stood out early. Part of the fun is also knowing that he’s not a finished product. He’s just getting started.”

https://theathletic.com/2042415/2020/09/05/bowden-the-2020-mlb-rookie-tracker/?source=weeklyemail

40 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Now with the slump Robert is in has Lewis now passed him for rookie of the year?

If he goes on a hot streak he still has a chance.  He's still playing gold glove caliber defense and contributing on the bases.   And he's still had a huge impact on a potential division winner.  Hopefully that matters.

• Like 1