Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
caulfield12

The LEGEND of Luis Robert ESPN feature article

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

While Robert will likely be much better, I think his progression at the plate will mirror Anderson's. Anderson's second at-bat against Boyd last night in the second inning was a fantastic display of his growth as a hitter since 2016. I think we'll be seeing Robert have similar ABs in coming years, once he starts laying off sliders and forcing pitchers to come into the zone like Anderson does now

Robert has such quick hands. He is just a spectacularly good hitter. He'll never have the walks or the massive OBP, but the boy can flat out hit.  Love watching him play and I still think he ends up becoming a good defensive SS for a good chunk of his career (not elite or great, but good).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With how hard he hits a baseball, that ball is far too damaged to pay any more than $2000 for it. ^_^

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Only explanation... Luis Robert himself is a bidder and wants to own all of the 800+ balls he will hit for home runs over his career. The most likely display of which will be an inset wall feature on the entryway of his 88,000 square foot home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Only explanation... Luis Robert himself is a bidder and wants to own all of the 800+ balls he will hit for home runs over his career. The most likely display of which will be an inset wall feature on the entryway of his 88,000 square foot home.

I believe the exact number of homeruns he will hit in his career will be 880. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I believe the exact number of homeruns he will hit in his career will be 880. 

No doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good friend of mine is an avid Baseball card collector/seller. He said that the Market for La Pantera is immense. People in the biz are buying him up expecting him to be the next Trout as far as value rise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

A good friend of mine is an avid Baseball card collector/seller. He said that the Market for La Pantera is immense. People in the biz are buying him up expecting him to be the next Trout as far as value rise. 

Everything that has come up with his name has gone insane in value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

A good friend of mine is an avid Baseball card collector/seller. He said that the Market for La Pantera is immense. People in the biz are buying him up expecting him to be the next Trout as far as value rise. 

He actually has 2 autographs- one regular and one where he literally prints his name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's talk about Robert, because what he is doing is pretty incredible. 

On August 12th, Rick Renteria watched Robert finish off a 3/25 stretch with 11 K's. He was reeling; swinging at everything, and pitchers were taking advantage. Luis got a day of on the August 13th and 14th - in that time, he said he "figured it out" with coach.

Plenty of players say things like that, but Robert doesn't just say them... he does them. 

Since that day, Robert is hitting 16/48 (.333) with 8 home runs, and four walks. He's raised his OPS from .816 to .960.

When Luis Robert didn't change his approach and walk more last year, it was because he didn't have to. Luis reluctantly realized he can't swing at literally everything and he's already adjusted and he has destroyed the league.

Robert said he figured it out and he meant forever. Pray for the league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to say it here too. 449 is WAY too short on that distance. Look how far above the 411 sign that hit and tell me that wasn’t going 475 or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last six games he has a 1:1 BB/K ratio at 7.7% each.

This is a very arbitrary cutoff but just want to do a quick comparison:

7/24-8/23

36.4 K%

48.0% O-Swing%

55.6% Contact %

26.7% Swinging Strike%

39.8% O-Contact%

 

8/25-8/31

7.7 K%

41% O-Swing%

13.7% Swinging Strike%

76.3% Contact%

76% O-Contact%

 

He's been making a ton of more contact lately and though his chase rate is still high it looks like he's making a big improvement there. He was already killing it with a 55% contact rate so if he can maintain 70% going forward he's going to have video game numbers.

Edited by OmarComing25
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is keeping up with the Rookie of the Year race between Luis and Kyle Lewis.

Luis: More homers (10) and RBIs (24), lower batting average (.298), OBP (.348), and less runs scored (22). Vastly superior defense and higher fWAR (1.7).

Lewis: Less homers (8), RBIs (22), higher batting average (.328), OBP (.418), and runs scored (29). Worse defense and lower WAR (1.6).

I think Luis' comparable offense, highlight defense, and the fact that the Sox are contenders in part to him is what will push him over the edge (especially the last part). If he wins a Gold Glove, that'll clinch it for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Last six games he has a 1:1 BB/K ratio at 7.7% each.

This is a very arbitrary cutoff but just want to do a quick comparison:

7/24-8/23

36.4 K%

48.0% O-Swing%

55.6% Contact %

26.7% Swinging Strike%

39.8% O-Contact%

 

8/25-8/31

7.7 K%

41% O-Swing%

13.7% Swinging Strike%

76.3% Contact%

76% O-Contact%

 

He's been making a ton of more contact lately and though his chase rate is still high it looks like he's making a big improvement there. He was already killing it with a 55% contact rate so if he can maintain 70% going forward he's going to have video game numbers.

One thing that was common in the minors were these games where he is just completely lost and goes 0-5 with 4ks.

I thought we'd see that a lot in the majors. We really only saw it a few times, cubs series it showed up against dervish.

That has been pretty amazing to me. The last two days, there just isn't anyone else you'd rather see up late in the game, as good as Abreu/TA are. You just see him and know that he's going to hit the crap out of something even if it isn't  a hit. He isn't going to walk. He is not gonna K. He's going to hit the crap out of something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Quin said:

If anyone is keeping up with the Rookie of the Year race between Luis and Kyle Lewis.

Luis: More homers (10) and RBIs (24), lower batting average (.298), OBP (.348), and less runs scored (22). Vastly superior defense and higher fWAR (1.7).

Lewis: Less homers (8), RBIs (22), higher batting average (.328), OBP (.418), and runs scored (29). Worse defense and lower WAR (1.6).

I think Luis' comparable offense, highlight defense, and the fact that the Sox are contenders in part to him is what will push him over the edge (especially the last part). If he wins a Gold Glove, that'll clinch it for him.

If they keep this up, they might not just be competing for AL ROY.... they might be competing for AL MVP!


8wXxRP3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Quin said:

If anyone is keeping up with the Rookie of the Year race between Luis and Kyle Lewis.

Luis: More homers (10) and RBIs (24), lower batting average (.298), OBP (.348), and less runs scored (22). Vastly superior defense and higher fWAR (1.7).

Lewis: Less homers (8), RBIs (22), higher batting average (.328), OBP (.418), and runs scored (29). Worse defense and lower WAR (1.6).

I think Luis' comparable offense, highlight defense, and the fact that the Sox are contenders in part to him is what will push him over the edge (especially the last part). If he wins a Gold Glove, that'll clinch it for him.

While Luis is winning the defensive metrics on paper, Kyle Lewis has also made the highlights for robbing home runs this year so he's got that flashy appeal right now. Robert's "highlights" have been stealing balls out of position, more a product of him being so good/fast. I agree that Robert looks to have superior defensive ability, just feel like Kyle Lewis shouldn't be sold sort on his highlights. It's more of a "makes things look easy" vs. "makes things look harder than they should" argument, and the casual viewer will be more impressed by those "difficult" plays rather than seeing Robert somehow catching a pop-up behind homeplate or something crazy with his range and speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert doing the damage he has, with the plate approach that he has, is legitimately one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. I do not understand how it's possible. He should be like early Javy Baez or something the way he goes about his attack. Instead he's been one of the best players in baseball already. 

He actually might end up being the best player in baseball. 

Edited by mqr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mqr said:

Robert doing the damage he has, with the plate approach that he has, is legitimately one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. I do not understand how it's possible. He should be like early Javy Baez or something the way he goes about his attack. Instead he's been one of the best players in baseball already. 

He actually might end up being the best player in baseball. 

He's a lot stronger and faster than Javy Baez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×