MADRIGAL CALLED UP! (Herrera DFA)

Bad Hombre

39 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah.....he's been popping up meatballs and it's frustrating. There's a reason why Pete Rose and Chipper Jones are the only switch hitters I can think of that batted over .300 for their career, and only barely for both.

Rose and Chipper were .303 and Mantle was .298 and I think they're the only ones anywhere close to .300. 

Moncada will be fine, and I'm not blaming him for starting slow in the XBH dept. What's encouraging is that he's still getting singles and walking even while fighting his swing a bit. 

Tim Raines, Alomar, Berkman, Eddie Murray...Frankie Lindor

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Tim Raines, Alomar, Berkman, Eddie Murray...Frankie Lindor

Murray was a career .287 hitter. 

Robbie Alomar was also a .300 hitter, I missed him somehow. 

I guess you can consider .293 and .294 close. That's Berkman and Raines respectively. 

They're just below close for me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Being an OCD numbers guy, I just like the fact that Madrigal slash line is all the same 308/308/308.

It’ll be that way forever if he just never walks and only hits singles 😆

How about 308/404/803? 😆

Edited by hi8is

11 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’ll be that way forever if he just never walks and only hits singles 😆

How about 308/404/803? 😆

Palindromes work too. I just have never seen the identical numbers this many at bats in. And yes it's because of only getting on base with singles

2 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think he will get to more power. Howie kendrick could be a good comp, from 15 to 19 he averaged .297/.350/.445 with 10 Homers a year. 

Madrigal could do that too, maybe not this year but next year with a bit more strength and some little swing  tweaks.

A .297 average and .150 ISO strikes me as Madrigal at his peak unless he finds some magic muscle, I can't see him averaging those numbers over many years.

Given that they messed with Madrigal's service time, do you guys think that they Keep Kopech down until Memorial Day next year, or will they just take the extra year from the opt-out? 

I think they could be justified in sending Kopech to the Minors because he hasn't pitched in 2 years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Given that they messed with Madrigal's service time, do you guys think that they Keep Kopech down until Memorial Day next year, or will they just take the extra year from the opt-out? 

I think they could be justified in sending Kopech to the Minors because he hasn't pitched in 2 years. 

They'll definitely hold him down in the minors long enough and its completely fair seeing as though he will be over 2 years removed from a mound in an MLB (hell even minor league) game. Gotta shake the rust off.

Edited by soxfan2014

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Depends on whether or not that sign a legitimate starting pitcher in the off-season. I don't think they'll do that, but if they do then you have Giolito, Keuchel, and FA SP as locked into your rotation and then a battle of Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon (?), and Dunning for your last two rotation spots. In that scenario I could see them sending Kopech to the minors for a few starts. It's harder to justify stashing Kopech in the minors if they don't add more pitching especially if Cease and Lopez don't take a step this season.

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They'll definitely hold him down in the minors long enough and its completely fair seeing as though he will be over 2 years removed from a mound in an MLB (hell even minor league) game. Gotta shake the rust off.

He was up 45 days in 2018 so they'd have to keep him down until ~May 20th to get the year back. Memorial Day is the non-obvious date. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

58 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think that they will, and I think that they should.

At least its the left shoulder.  Still not convinced its not something much worse.  If you slowmo down that slide, it sure looks like his forearm snapped up near his elbow.  

https://twitter.com/pinwheelsivypod/status/1290814114302849024?s=21

pause / slow mo at 50 second mark and watch forearm. 

Edited by ChiSox59

On 8/3/2020 at 5:07 PM, Vulture said:

Robert long term in the lead off spot seems like a waste to me. He should have the maximum amount of at bats with runners on base possible. I would go with Moncada, Robert, Jimenez at 2,3,4. 

I disagree. If Anderson ends up being 7th or 8th and Madrigal is 9th, Robert will have people on in front of him. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Definitely. 

44 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At least its the left shoulder.  Still not convinced its not something much worse.  If you slowmo down that slide, it sure looks like his forearm snapped up near his elbow.  

https://twitter.com/pinwheelsivypod/status/1290814114302849024?s=21

pause / slow mo at 50 second mark and watch forearm. 

That mechanism is really odd for a shoulder injury. Looked more like an elbow. The most common should injury with the arm out like that is an AC separation or an inferior subluxation. Weird.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I disagree. If Anderson ends up being 7th or 8th and Madrigal is 9th, Robert will have people on in front of him. 

20+% of his at bats would be guaranteed to be with the bases empty. That could be close to 90 missed opportunities over the course of a full season compared to batting third, not to mention the difference in the rest of his at bats between hitting behind 9,1,2, in particular Moncada, and 7,8,9 hitters. He would also be the ideal batter to come up in a 2 out no runner situation, since between his speed and power he would be the most likely to be able to score with two outs. To me, its a no brainer

• Thanks 1