MADRIGAL CALLED UP! (Herrera DFA)

Bad Hombre

18 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Improves the defense at 2B.  Pushes Leury to the OF where he is far better IMO.  Win Win.

Welcome to The Show kid!

Agree.  The defense makes the team better, and Leury over Nicky Delmonico is an improvement both ways.  Delmonico has had about a zillion hittable fastballs right over the plate this year and he's been late on all of them, fouling them off.  I'm not sure I've seen such a display of constantly fouling off hittable pitches before making an out.

That said, Madrigal is showing still why his bat is nowhere near MLB ready.  The constant Bryant comparisons are puke-worthy.  This guy is no Kris Bryant, no way shape or form.  Service time doesn't really matter except for arb issues.  Is baby Madrigal going to be good enough to pay in his 3rd arb year?  We shall see.  I think right now he looks good enough to get an arb offer as a first year player but maybe not as a second year player if he doesn't improve with the bat.

17 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Agree.  The defense makes the team better, and Leury over Nicky Delmonico is an improvement both ways.  Delmonico has had about a zillion hittable fastballs right over the plate this year and he's been late on all of them, fouling them off.  I'm not sure I've seen such a display of constantly fouling off hittable pitches before making an out.

That said, Madrigal is showing still why his bat is nowhere near MLB ready.  The constant Bryant comparisons are puke-worthy.  This guy is no Kris Bryant, no way shape or form.  Service time doesn't really matter except for arb issues.  Is baby Madrigal going to be good enough to pay in his 3rd arb year?  We shall see.  I think right now he looks good enough to get an arb offer as a first year player but maybe not as a second year player if he doesn't improve with the bat.

That is an impressive gymnastics move to twist yourself from how important defense is, to crapping on the best defensive 2B we have because he doesn't hit like Kris Bryant.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Holy shit it’s been one game.  And who has ever compared him to Kris Bryant?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I've heard someone say that Vaughn was the best pure hitter to come out of college since Bryant...is that the confusion?  

And I agree, give the kid some time to settle in.  He seems very smooth at 2B and he puts the ball in play which we saw works out with the E6 on his grounder last night.  I for one am sick of  the acceptance of all the K's in baseball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HollywoodTim said:

Delete your account

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I vastly preferred Groshans to Madrigal when he was selected.

I know people here are excited but he showed very little power in the minor leagues. Best we can hope for is he has a good hit tool with good defense with decent walk totals. Sort of like what David Eckstein was.

If he can be that he has a ceiling of a 2.5 WAR to 3 WAR player which I would consider that a major win at this point

Edited by wrathofhahn

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The comps are situational comps, and they have been all over this board, because of the service time issues.

Obviously the Sox played the service time game because why not?  There are reasons to do that aside from believing you need the extra year because of how good the player will likely be and/or expensive to retain.  The Sox played the service time game most likely because they want a longer look at him before offering him real money.

In Bryant's case, holding him down seemed egregious to many people.  The guy was destroying the minors and looked every bit like a franchise cornerstone, future 3/4 hitter on a championship team, future top-level salary earner, etc. 

OTOH Madrigal is still nowhere near MLB ready with the bat, and there are very good, baseball-related reasons for keeping him down.  IIRC Madrigal slugged .411 in the minors last year.  Hitting MiLB pitching through MiLB infields to a .411 SLG% , especially when your legs are inflating that number rather than deflating that number, is no sign of an MLB-ready hitter.  The Sox could have held him down much longer if they wanted to and no one should think it is egregious. 

If the Sox were really intent on winning in 2020 at every position they likely would have brought in a FA 2B or traded for one.  There are/were enough Starlin Castro, Schoop, Villar types out there to be had, and if they did do that, nobody should have felt that Madrigal was so far along developmentally that he was seriously being "blocked."

I've watched this guy all spring and summer.  He reminds me of Leury when he first came over from Texas, or Kevin Smith's first go-round.  I think about Hawk talking about going up to the plate with a rolled up copy of the SunTimes and can call his IF groundouts before they happen like I'm Nostradamus.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

I vastly preferred Groshans to Madrigal when he was selected.

I know people here are excited but he showed very little power in the minor leagues. Best we can hope for is he has a good hit tool with good defense with decent walk totals. Sort of like what David Eckstein was.

If he can be that he has a ceiling of a 2.5 WAR to 3 WAR player which I would consider that a major win at this point

I think he's Eckstein also.  He'll eventually be a fine #9 hitter and a guy you can win with but he's not a #4 overall kind of talent IMO.

I honestly cannot think of another Sox player who has been hyped so hard even in spite of the height of his ceiling since Lance Broadway.  I remember hearing people talk about Broadway like he was going to be a #2-#3 SP at worst.  But even then Broadway took a long time and never really got that level of hype.  Even the hype on the prototypical toolsy and/or power-hitting prospects I have understood better because of the potential ceiling even in spite of the floor.  But Madrigal is the most hyped lower-floor player I can remember at least since Broadway.

IMO I think Zach Collins will be a better player when it is all said and done and I'm really not a huge Collins fan, though I believe he is improving and will be better than many are giving him credit for.