Can Tim Anderson be our Alex Gordon/Jason Heyward?

ron883

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I don't get the criticism for Timmy at short.  He makes all the plays and then some.  Plus, he can hit and run the bases.  So what if he has had 2 errors in this crazy season.

There is no doubt that Tim is an extremely talented player. That is what is so frustrating about his play at short. He doesn't execute on some of the most routine plays. And a defender must first make the routine plays first. It's nice to see some outstanding plays, but it is frustrating to watch an easy grounder go past or through him. He needs to work on the simple stuff; the great stuff will eventually take care of itself.

We see that Tim contributes in many ways. If his play at short improves, he can be a true superstar.

Sometimes, if a guy boots one, some fans will remember it for a long time, forgetting all the good plays.  Abreu at first is a good example.  He gets blasted here for sub par defense, but that was a very good play he made in the ninth inning last night.  That had two bases written all over it.  Abreu played it perfectly and made the tough out.  Two minutes later, game over.  Even the KC announcers gave him kudos for the play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

Sometimes, if a guy boots one, some fans will remember it for a long time, forgetting all the good plays.  Abreu at first is a good example.  He gets blasted here for sub par defense, but that was a very good play he made in the ninth inning last night.  That had two bases written all over it.  Abreu played it perfectly and made the tough out.  Two minutes later, game over.  Even the KC announcers gave him kudos for the play.

Anderson has incredible range at SS but the mental mistakes are incredibly frustrating. 

8 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

It's sad that calling out TA's horrid defense at SS gets you laughed at, dude is a pretty bad defender.  He has some great tools but overall he isn't very good and hasn't been for years.

It's very sad, actually. 

I think Tim should be a LF. I’m over him as a catcher. He’s yet to throw any runner out and his game calling is suspect. Put him in left and I think Eloy is ready for SS. No walls at SS. And move yoan back to 2b, but keep Madrigal there too. Can’t have too many 2b’s. They can take turns. 3b? Just let José run back and forth he’s just standing there most of the time anyways. 

• Haha 1

TA boots too many routine grounders to ever really be considered elite defensively, but honest question, who in the Sox system takes his place at SS?

Tim is signed long term.  If he is not your SS, where does he play every day?  Who does he displace elsewhere?  

Eventually these silly mental machinations result in displacing someone else of value also signed long term.  The circular logic revolves around again to reveal that Tim Anderson is the White Sox starting SS for now and for the length of his contract, warts and all.  Can we put this silly shit to rest already and hope that his work ethic eventually addresses his defensive shortcomings??

For Real.

/Thread

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Quin said:

Moving on from Tim Anderson becoming the next Jorge Posada, why is he being compared to Jason Heyward here?

They have no similarities as batters or in their backgrounds as baseball players. Wouldn't Alex Gordon be a better comparison if one we're trying to be made - while he still has several differences, he at least made the key switch we're discussing here.

TA glove is more reminiscent of Jorge Orta. 

7 hours ago, JoshPR said:

I think Tim can improve if the sox would get the right coach to do so. Just look at semien with the A's

Semien has led the league in errors by AL SS's 3 times in Oakland. Doing so in his first 3 full seasons in Oakland. Last year, he finally managed not to do so. You know who claimed his spot? You got it. Timmy! You know who he was tied with for the lead in 2018? Timmy! You know which SS led the AL in errors the year Semien got hurt? Timmy!

These two have had quite the battle of defensive ineptitude. 

TA is 27 years old. He's not a kid anymore. He's not a prospect. He's a major leaguer and a bad defensive SS. He's out of excuses. Could he improve? Sure, I suppose. However, there's NOTHING to suggest he will. He's been making the same mistakes since the day he has arrived and nothing has changed. At a certain point, you are what you are. In year #5 and at age 27? He's pretty much reached that "point". 

2 hours ago, HollywoodTim said:

Personally I think he will improve. 

Why?

I promise that I'm not being a dick. I genuinely want to know what the rationale behind this take is. 

It's his 5th season and he's 27 years old. Nothing has changed. Why will it? How long do we keep saying this type of thing? He's closer to being 30 than he is to his days as a prospect. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I know he's almost a vet (which is wild to me), but it's still too early to give up on him as a SS...This should be revisited at the end of '21

Eloy on the other hand scares the shit out of me in left, but if he can hit like he does...fine

Eloy is gonna kill Robert one day. He's an oaf out there. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy is gonna kill Robert one day. He's an oaf out there. 

This thought scares the crap out of me. This year will be no problem without fan noise. With the amount of ground that Robert covers and the fact that Eloy always runs into stuff out there, I'm very scared of a collision happening.