8/1 Sox vs Royals GT

soxfan49

Just now, caulfield12 said:

We'll know this is a different/new White Sox team if they can complete the sweep tmrw and take out Jacob Junis, who we've struggled with like he's CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Johan Santana or Brad Radke.

Jacob Kunis does not scare me....now if they said Bruce Chen was coming out of retirement to pitch tomorrow,  I'd be terrified.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

To be fair, I called out his less than elite speed when watching him in the College World Series.  

Nick Madrigal doesn't have elite speed. Unreal. What a bust. He blows. Terrible. They should've traded such a shitty player for a top 10 player in Mookie Betts. Fair trade

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Nick Madrigal doesn't have elite speed. Unreal. What a bust. He blows. Terrible. They should've traded such a shitty player for a top 10 player in Mookie Betts. Fair trade

No, but if the rumor was true that Not Steve Cishek posted about a trade for Gallen, that would have been an amazing deal

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, I called out his less than elite speed when watching him in the College World Series.  

In that sense, David Eckstein is a fairly good comparison.
He's certainly not Chone Figgins.  He's quick, he runs well enough, but it's similar to the way that Carlos Sanchez was a stolen base threat in the minors.   He's always been known as a smart/heady/grindy baserunner, and players that are 5'7" are always going to have their legs wheeling in one hundred directions but never going to be covering ground like a Robert in just a few strides.

Use Kris Bryant as an example.  He's definitely far from fast in terms of pure speed, but he's the best baserunner on the Cubs, you'll almost never see him make a mistake rounding bases, especially coming around 3rd on the way to home.

Jose Valentin, perhaps the best baserunner in White Sox history (after Fox/Aparicio), but he was nowhere near as fast as Ray Durham, Rudy Law, jose Cruz or Lance One Dog Johnson.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

I was posting about the last several Draft picks....in totality.  I think Madrigal is still an unproven commodity as is Vaughn.

Speaking of  Vaughn, I hated the Sox passing up Ed Howard and taking Vaughn. I don't see how Vaughn can do anything but DH and I do not see why any team would use a high first round pick for a DH.

I think you might want a mulligan on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Let's not get so carried away with anything that happens against KC.   They suck.

The Royals and Tigers are obviously teams that we need to be going 7-3 or 8-2 against this year.

For now, the NL Central (especially Cincy, StL and Milwaukee) doesn't look so formidable.    The AL East looks even better than expected with the Blue Jays arriving earlier than expected, and the AL West is a bit weaker without Trout, but I never thought the Rangers had enough offense and their pitching couldn't possibly repeat the over-performance from last year.

Even if we only beat Cleveland 1 of 3 and Minnesota 1 of 3, it's almost impossible not to be right around .500 unless the pitching staff just completely falls apart.

• Like 1