8/1 Sox vs Royals GT

soxfan49

If only we drafted Kyle Schwarber over Carlos Rodon, we'd have made 2-3 playoff appearances already. 

Baseball is such a fickle sport.   A year ago, Devers looked like a beast and Benintendi was scuffling.   Those two players, along with Moncada, have been debated against each other since 2016, and now we have what looks to be the best of all three, but he might end up being overshadowed by Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez because those guys are both so dangerous.   Nice problems to have.   And that doesn't even count Vaughn, who's the equivalent of adding Robin Ventura from OSU.

Great job, Jace.

Royals are on the cusp of being back in the ballgame right now...Merrifield's pretty much the ONE guy you don't/can't let him beat you in that line-up.

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Something also to keep in mind. How many times have highly touted Sox prospects come up and fell flat, either their entire career, or at least during the first month or so of the season?

Luis Robert is literally doing something every night that makes the highlight reel. He’s must-watch TV in the first week of the season.  Somehow, someway he’s almost exceeding the crazy hype we all heard. Enjoy it, stop getting so worked up about Nick Madrigal. :)

QFT. You are so correct here. Out of all of the Sox prospects to pull it off, I would have never picked it to be Robert. I'd have picked Eloy or Moncada over Robert. 

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He was never a 70 grade runner like Moncada, so expectations should have always been in check in that department.  And drawing any conclusions about his approach at the plate based on like seven plate appearances is insane.  I get being concerned about the slapping, but there really shouldn’t be any other issues with his game.

I never thought Madrigal was a 70 runner but I did think he was a 60 runner. 

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I hate we drafted Jace Fry over....I'll get back you in the 9th....I have to do some research 

Say what you want about this organization's young talent, but the fact that we drafted Jace Fry over Bryce Harper speaks volumes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Madrigal wishes he had Whit Merrifield's power...

... am I doing it right?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=144206

Look at Merrifield from 2010 to 2013 in the minor leagues, he wasn't even close to being an 800 OPS guy there through age 24.   Four seasons of major struggles.

It wasn't until he turned 25 that he really started to emerge as a hitter.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

I read an article last year that learning English was very important to Robert. Anyone know if he's improved a lot?

Fegan was tweeting earlier today that he's understanding it pretty well. Not sure if he's speaking though