8/1 Sox vs Royals GT

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Robert is an ideal lead off man because speed and hit tool. You and many others don't realize the game has changed. His power does not mean he is not right for lead off. Many teams have been putting high average/obp guys with power at the top.

Robert's hit tool is literally his biggest question mark, and he's never walked much. He won't be OBPing 340 without hitting .300+ and it is definitely not clear he can do that yet.

Personally, I do think he will hit .300 someday, but not until next year or the year after.

I'm not saying you need Madrigal at leadoff. Tim has power. Yoan and Yasmani have power. I'm fine with any of them at 1. Robert doesn't just have power, he's on another level, it is a waste to see him do it with no one on base.

Speak of the panther haha

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Loved Eloy‘s reaction. All you can do is laugh when a guy produces that much power with so little effort

Everyone knows Moncada is my favorite position player on the team but Robert has a higher ceiling imo. Pantera can hit 50 HR. Let's enjoy them batting 1-2 in the lineup for the next 5 years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I think he makes sense at 1 if Madrigal is behind him. Think of Podsednik-Iguchi 1-2. Robert gets on, steals 2nd/hit & run, Madrigal handles the bat well and now it's either 1st and 3rd no outs, guy on 2nd and it's 1-0 Sox, or it's guy on 3rd with 1 out with the 3 and 4 hitters coming up

I’m firmly against any lineup that doesn’t have Moncada 2nd.  Robert before or after but those two need the most ABs every single game IMO. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone knows Moncada is my favorite player but Robert has a higher ceiling imo. Pantera can hit 50 HR. 

He can also steal bases which Moncada still hasn't been able to do consistently in the big leagues for whatever reason. 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

He can also steal bases which Moncada still hasn't been able to do consistently in the big leagues for whatever reason. 

I think it's a Ricky thing. I don't know how you neuter a guy who stole 40 bases in the minors. 

Moncada is fast, Robert is the Flash. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Robert's hit tool is literally his biggest question mark, and he's never walked much. He won't be OBPing 340 without hitting .300+ and it is definitely not clear he can do that yet.

Personally, I do think he will hit .300 someday, but not until next year or the year after.

I'm not saying you need Madrigal at leadoff. Tim has power. Yoan and Yasmani have power. I'm fine with any of them at 1. Robert doesn't just have power, he's on another level, it is a waste to see him do it with no one on base.

Speak of the panther haha

You are saying Luis Robert shouldn't bat 1st because of lack of walks but then advocate for Anderson at the top who has to bat at least .330 in order to have a respectable OBP.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I’m firmly against any lineup that doesn’t have Moncada 2nd.  Robert before or after but those two need the most ABs every single game IMO. 

I'm firmly against any lineup that doesn't have Moncada 3 and Eloy 4. I'm good with Robert-Madrigal-Moncada-Eloy. Even flipping 1-2 is fine.

Vaughn 5, Grandal 6, EE/Abreu 7, Anderson 8, RF 9.

All things considered, they can afford for Abreu/EE to fade...but they need for Grandal to continue to be a 3-4.5 fWAR contributor.

With Collins and Vaughn and perhaps Jimenez for DH/1B, they'll be fine.   That said, it's WAY too early to give up on anyone.   Remember how many MLB players in the last five years that signed in May/June struggled in those seasons when they didn't experience a normal spring training?

That's likely to be the case for a number of the older, veteran players.

Edited by caulfield12