69 members have voted

1. 1. Which career would you pick?

• Eloy Jimenez
    • Yoan Moncada
    • Luis Robert
    • Lucas Giolito
    • Other, post your pick

On 8/1/2020 at 11:03 PM, Balta1701 said:

Yoan did not come up with a refined approach. Yoan's approach when he came up was so bad he set the record for strikeouts in a season. He showed flashes of being a great player in his exit velocity, but pitchers had a way to get him out, by going to the places in the strike zone he couldn't defend.

Robert has those same weaknesses right now, too aggressive, pitchers can fool him into swings and misses. And yet...Robert is doing way more damage than Moncada could do at that point in his career, and Robert's approach is already more refined than Moncada's was at that point, and look at the damage he's doing. As he learns how big league pitchers attack him, and adapts to that...OMG.

Yoan also got rung up about 50 times on pitches that weren't strikes.  

• Like 1

Robert is always going to be super valuable because of his defense and base running in addition to his hitting, but you look inside the stats of the 3 guys and Eloy may be off to the best, most sustainable start of the 3.

Robert currently has a 10% walk rate, 28% k rate, and a .500 BABIP. He hits the ball hard and is super fast, so you imagine he’d have a high BABIP. Probably not that high.

Moncada may be able to sustain what he’s doing: 12% walk rate, 25% k rate, with a .429 BABIP. It’s a little high, but he’s proven he’s always going to have a high BABIP.

Meanwhile, Eloy, 8% walk rate, 24% k rate, and .364 BABIP.  191 WRC+.  He may finish in the neighborhood of those numbers.

I am just glad we have all three. Though it did hurt my heart to see who was sitting at 7.

Good grief.  I can't  choose and I don't want to.  And I'm ever so happy I don't have to.  I hope to see these guys on the Sox for a looooong time.  They're ALL freaking bosses.  I love how Eloy just plain mashes.  And doesn't even pull the ball.  He just murders it.  Yoan is a great on D, and such a great refined hitter, while also being savagely dangerous.  Robert does it all. His ABs are great appearance to appearance.  For such a new, young hitter, he adjusts AB to AB.  He is mashing without the benefit of even seeing fastballs.  He steals bases with complete ease, and his speed will allow him to run out routine grounders.  And he makes all the plays.

I certainly don't think the Sox have had such a dynamic trio, at least not that I can remember.  They had lineups with great young hitters, with Maggs, Lee and Konerko basically all coming up together.  Those guys obviously could all really really hit, but they weren't the rounded players (at least with Yoan and Robert -- maybe Eloy fits in well with this group.).  

The closest I think is probably the early 90s, when they have Frank and Ventura come up basically together, along with Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere.  Much different, but obviously some great talent there.  The scary thing is, these guys could be better.  Holy moly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Robert is always going to be super valuable because of his defense and base running in addition to his hitting, but you look inside the stats of the 3 guys and Eloy may be off to the best, most sustainable start of the 3.

Robert currently has a 10% walk rate, 28% k rate, and a .500 BABIP. He hits the ball hard and is super fast, so you imagine he’d have a high BABIP. Probably not that high.

Moncada may be able to sustain what he’s doing: 12% walk rate, 25% k rate, with a .429 BABIP. It’s a little high, but he’s proven he’s always going to have a high BABIP.

Meanwhile, Eloy, 8% walk rate, 24% k rate, and .364 BABIP.  191 WRC+.  He may finish in the neighborhood of those numbers.

I am just glad we have all three. Though it did hurt my heart to see who was sitting at 7.

Moncada hits the ever loving piss out of the ball and he's becoming such a good hitter that even when he's not squaring it up, he's getting hits. 

His BABIP is always going to be an extreme outlier. He's just that good in EV and as a hitter. 

The way I look at it is that Robert is always going to put up bigger power and WAR numbers but Moncada is going to hit for higher average and slightly less power. Moncada is going to be in the 25-35 HR range, and probably hit .300 regularly with a .360+ OBP and Robert is going to be in the 30-45 HR range and hit .270-.285 with a .340 OBP. Robert's BA could be inflated a bit by his elite speed. I continue to be baffled by Moncada not running as he has the ability to steal 25+ bases. 

They're both great players.....but Robert is at a different level, especially if Moncada isn't going to run. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, knightni said:

I'm taking Moncada. He feels like he could be the next Chipper Jones.

Robert needs to work on his plate discipline before I'd choose him.

That is a pretty funny thing to say about a guy with a 10.2% BB rate, I mean he's striking out a lot but it's hard to blame him when he's a 23 year old rookie seeing sliders low and away 34.2% of the time and the team wants him to have an aggressive approach since that's when he's most dangerous.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

That is a pretty funny thing to say about a guy with a 10.2% BB rate, I mean he's striking out a lot but it's hard to blame him when he's a 23 year old rookie seeing sliders low and away 34.2% of the time and the team wants him to have an aggressive approach since that's when he's most dangerous.

This is the most impressive thing about Robert right now. 

Moncada and Robert are so talented that they've made Eloy almost underappreciated, he's become one of the absolute most destructive forces in the game, his updated statcast numbers are nuts. And check out that sprint speed, not terrible!

image.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

Luis already having 6 walks might have me more amped than anything else about him

Robert being selective at the plate has impressed me big time. I hope his patience continues to get better the more MLB pitching he sees. 

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

Luis already having 6 walks might have me more amped than anything else about him

I just went back and watched all 5 Robert walks: two came after going down 0-2, one after being down 1-2. For a rookie, that is such an impressive ability to battle back and lay off the strike out pitches.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Moncada and Robert are so talented that they've made Eloy almost underappreciated, he's become one of the absolute most destructive forces in the game, his updated statcast numbers are nuts. And check out that sprint speed, not terrible!

image.png

What is outs above average and how is it poor? I think of outs above average somehow as being an inverse of batting avg (and Jimenez has a good avg so it can't be that),  so what is it actually Kalapse?  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

What is outs above average and how is it poor? I think of outs above average somehow as being an inverse of batting avg (and Jimenez has a good avg so it can't be that),  so what is it actually Kalapse?  

It's a defensive metric, so he's unsurprisingly very bad in LF. Also, like any defensive metric you need larger sample sizes for them to be of true use.

1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

It's a defensive metric, so he's unsurprisingly very bad in LF. Also, like any defensive metric you need larger sample sizes for them to be of true use.

Ok - I was about to ask you, unless it was a defensive metric - in which case I get it.