8/2 Sox vs Royals GT

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You guys don't get it. Madrigal is unconventional in modern baseball. I want him to succeed, I really do. 

They're going to adjust to him and bring the RF in really shallow. Gonna be interesting to see what happens then. 

As with Giolito, let's just enjoy the success of one game without worrying too much about the next one.

He's been the best hitter in his class ever since the last two years of high school/Team USA, the best pure college hitter at Oregon State, he's a smart hitter and will make the adjustments he needs to.  He's the last player I'm really worried about of the young core going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

As with Giolito, let's just enjoy the success of one game without worrying too much about the next one.

He's been the best hitter in his class ever since the last two years of high school/Team USA, the best pure college hitter at Oregon State, he's a smart hitter and will make the adjustments he needs to.  He's the last player I'm really worried about of the young core going forward.

Yeah, he is a 3 WAR player. He doesn’t have a superstar ceiling, but that’s plenty good. People have this idea that 4th overall picks are automatic superstars

10 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Yeah, he is a 3 WAR player. He doesn’t have a superstar ceiling, but that’s plenty good. People have this idea that 4th overall picks are automatic superstars

It’s insane when people say “you don’t draft that type of player at #4”.  It’s the worst comment you can see.  If you go look at the past #4 picks they are pure dogshit.  

So anything above pure dogshit is actually really good, historically. 

• Like 2

Good game from Madrigal.

I agree compeletly with Harold here.

I think he's David Eckstein.  I hope he's better.  I understand that most players drafted anywhere do not make it, but I think they did miss the chance to develop a higher ceiling player.

If there's a real difference maker available, then I would trade him.  Otherwise, what's done is done, and he's here now, so I hope he's an above average everyday player.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s insane when people say “you don’t draft that type of player at #4”.  It’s the worst comment you can see.  If you go look at the past #4 picks they are pure dogshit.  

So anything above pure dogshit is actually really good, historically. 

You are not drafting experienced MLB players in the draft.  The Rule 4 draft isn't Free Agency.  Nobody really knows what they are getting which is why typically you shoot for ceiling and get burned, rather than shooting for floor and risking being burned when the player with the higher ceiling you thought hard about but passed on, makes it in another organization.

In fairness to MLB execs however, there is no ability to trade down in the draft.  It kind of forces execs to do things at places they might not want to in a perfect world.  Maybe if Madrigal is the guy you like most at 4, and you aren't crazy about it, you'd otherwise trade down to pick up an additional asset.

41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I would say that's a lack of understanding how the baseball draft works. 

It’s just simplifying it.  The goal of the draft is to get really good baseball players that help your team.  

It’s easy to win Ceiling Trophies in the draft.  Pretty much every guy drafted outside of college seniors is a ceiling guy.  

Either you convert drafts into WAR or you don’t. 

Madrigal’s ceiling is actually through the roof as one of the most unique players in the game.  He’s a weird case.  

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s just simplifying it.  The goal of the draft is to get really good baseball players that help your team.  

It’s easy to win Ceiling Trophies in the draft.  Pretty much every guy drafted outside of college seniors is a ceiling guy.  

Either you convert drafts into WAR or you don’t. 

Madrigal’s ceiling is actually through the roof as one of the most unique players in the game.  He’s a weird case.  

I like Madrigal and did not object to our drafting him at the time, but this has to be a massive exaggeration.

2 hours ago, Baker said:

A career WAR of 10 is about average for a #4 pick. If Nick can manage 2 WAR per season, that would be a successful pick. 

I know some are down on Madrigal, just like the year of his draft when he didn't destroy the minors that first half season, but you're talking a Carlos Sanchez ceiling at only a 2ish fWAR per season.

That's setting the bar intentionally low IMO.

51 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I like Madrigal and did not object to our drafting him at the time, but this has to be a massive exaggeration.

It's not wrong at all, if you're solely measuring by WAR, you might take offense.

Besides defense and baserunning, he's going to be like a captain on the field, along with Timmy Anderson.

He's instantly our brightest baseball PLAYER before the first week of the season is over, and that's going to rub off on the rest of his teammates.

Battling in his at-bats and not striking out.

Always knowing the situation, where to throw the ball, correct fundamentals....imagining the potential players before they even happen.

Otherwise, without players like that, we're just a collection of really talented players throw together, but he's going to be the glue that holds everything together.  He has been a winner/around winning organizations (like Oregon State and Team USA) every since his middle teens.

Best bunter and situational hitter.   Capable of getting 15-25 steals per season, roughly, mostly through getting great reads/breaks on the pitchers.

Not all of these can easily be captured by traditional metrics, but they will be measured in wins and losses just as accurately as analytics.

163 628 101 194 34 5 4 71 43 19 51 21 16 2 8 2 14 .309 .371 .398 .769

Those are his minor league totals...in 2021, 25-30 doubles, 4-6 triples, 3-5 homers....everything but the 43 stolen bases are realistic projections.

As long as he's in the 725-775 OPS range, he'll be an above average major league player for all the reasons I listed above.    

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They need more opportunities to compare Chicago and KC steakhouses and BBQ joints.

Of course, Kansas Citians think of Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris as elegant, so pretty sure Chicago wins that argument.    Well, the steaks, not BBQ.

I'm from Chicago South Side, but I really don't like Cheesecake Factory (on trips to Boulder my friend always made me go there, overpriced and not great and now closed); and I don't like expensive steak houses either. Give me Kansas Speedway buffet anyday (pre COVID of course) or Green Valley Ranch buffet in Vegas anytime. I also despise Red Lobster type places and Applebees types. You hit it. Any of KC's BBQ joints are fine for me. And believe it or not, Lawrence has an excellent BBQ joint.

Edited by greg775