Pandemic Cooking

Texsox

As I sip my carefully prepared pour over coffee and contemplate breakfast I realize that I've not only merely replaced five to ten restaurant meals per week but am exceeding many of them. 

I haven't cooked this much in thirty years. I also know kitchen tools like bread machines and food processors and still in short supply. Outdoor grills and smokers seem to still be steadily moving off the shelves. 

I'm wondering how permanent this change will be? 

If this link is any indication of how its gone so far, a change away from eating out can be in place for awhile:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-07-20/us-could-face-double-dip-recession-unless-r-goes-below-1?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view

It could/should be a good change for some, but dining establishments are a decent part of the US economy. People not dining out can screw quite a few families, unfortunately. We've got to turn this around, and soon. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Bump.

I've been doing a lot of grilled chicken thighs lately. Infinitley better than breasts IMO, since they're hard to overcook. Thinking of making some Alton Brown guacamole for chicken sandwiches today. 

This- I don’t think there’s any way to make a breast taste as good as a thigh.  

Ever check out Herman Lyons’ method on the Weber kettle?  

I do this every time.  Absolute perfect indirect method. I almost feel guilty or unworthy making such damn good chicken 😂

25 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I do this every time.  Absolute perfect indirect method. I almost feel guilty or unworthy making such damn good chicken 😂

I wish I had a charcoal grill. I live in an apartment on the northside, so I'm limited to a gas grill on my balcony. The charcoal flavor is just the best. 

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Sous vide. The things work like magic.

34 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I wish I had a charcoal grill. I live in an apartment on the northside, so I'm limited to a gas grill on my balcony. The charcoal flavor is just the best. 

Our lease was up in May - a very awkward time to move in NYC. But my fiance, our roommate and I wanted to move from our old place for a while (we kind of backed into since I didn't have a job last year when we were scouting apartments).

Somehow we lucked into a house one neighborhood over for the same exact rent. One of the first things we bought was a charcoal grill.

I'm going to break out the crock pot soon, maybe as soon as this weekend.  Along with the standard meals I make each year (Mississippi pot roast, beef stroganoff, chicken alfredo, salisbury steak), I may try some new ones this year.  Also thinking about trying Chex mix in the crock pot.