Are Stone and Benetti creating a Netflix Original Stand-Up Special or calling a baseball game?

ron883

Hawk was the best because he was a diehard fan of the team. It was special watching the games and listening to someone who cared as much as I did calling the game.

Benetti sometimes doesn't even realize its a home run until it lands in the stands, and while he may be a fan he just doesn't have the same energy and passion that Hawk had. I also get annoyed listening to the same arrested development joke sprinkled in every other inning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Sometimes you don't know what you have till it's gone. Hawk was the greatest. I miss his emotional calls. 

Sadly, we realized what we had the last few years of Hawk's career. I missed Hawk while we still had Hawk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sadly, we realized what we had the last few years of Hawk's career. I missed Hawk while we still had Hawk.

Pretty much.  He was a shell of himself the last few years, hell, last 6-8 really.  After 2012 he was a broken fan and a bitter old man emerged.  That said, I miss his passion and even at his old age he could spot a HR off the bat better than Jason at the moment.

Jason needs to lock himself in a room and come up with a good HR call, if he can't see them off that bat, at least get a good call that can convey the excitement.

• Like 1

Cowboy hat Hawk with Drysdale was great.

Hawk and Wimpy in the 90s, the best broadcast team. Nuf said.

Post Wimpy-2005, not the same, but Hawk still had his A game

2006-2008, not bad, but a little cocky post championship

2009- retirement, a steady decline. Bitter, angry, not fun.

Benetti- quite frankly, I know I’m never going to like him with or without Stone, who I hated when he was a Cubs guy. I’ll watch with the mute mostly or the radio side- Masur is a good listen, and DJ has never bothered me.

11 hours ago, Tony said:

You had 10,000 comedians to pick from....and you went with a guy that relies on a dummy for his routine? I suppose I should consider the source.....but Jeff Dunham?!?

Ron's trying to pretend he hasn't actually been watching the same 3 Dane Cook specials on repeat since 2004.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pretty much.  He was a shell of himself the last few years, hell, last 6-8 really.  After 2012 he was a broken fan and a bitter old man emerged.  That said, I miss his passion and even at his old age he could spot a HR off the bat better than Jason at the moment.

Jason needs to lock himself in a room and come up with a good HR call, if he can't see them off that bat, at least get a good call that can convey the excitement.

Im only doing this by memory but im pretty sure this was the exact call on the Moncada homer last night

Benetti: Moncada lofts one to right field, Gamel heads back. Gamel getting close to the wall. (The ball goes over the wall) Hey Moncada has hit a home run, "No soup for you!" Gamel. Hey Stoney did you ever watch Seinfeld??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

Im only doing this by memory but im pretty sure this was the exact call on the Moncada homer last night

Benetti: Moncada lofts one to right field, Gamel heads back. Gamel getting close to the wall. (The ball goes over the wall) Hey Moncada has hit a home run, "No soup for you!" Gamel. Hey Stoney did you ever watch Seinfeld??

Oof.  I can't stand listening to Jason so I always tune into the opposing team's crew.  The Brew Crew guys are really bad but they understood how big that HR was and didn't make a stupid reference to a show 30 years old now.

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oof.  I can't stand listening to Jason so I always tune into the opposing team's crew.  The Brew Crew guys are really bad but they understood how big that HR was and didn't make a stupid reference to a show 30 years old now.

Ok so I was joking, he didn't say it like that, but that's the gist of his presentation

15 hours ago, Kalapse said:

It's an enjoyable broadcast, take a listen to any random team's announcers and chances are they suck major ass, are completely uninformed, know nothing about the modern game and are boring as hell. Benetti and Stone are none of those.

This is undeniably true. The worst are those with the nasal game show host voices. I have one minor complaint from last night. The two kept praising each other for predictions they made in the pre-game coming true. It's hard to not do that, but you have to stifle a bit more than they did last night on that front. Otherwise, I'd say enjoy the ride with those two. They are very good. I didn't really notice the jokes last night. Were there any specific examples?

19 minutes ago, T R U said:

Ok so I was joking, he didn't say it like that, but that's the gist of his presentation

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

that it was plausible is the problem.

The entirety of this exchange was asinine and you're both full of shit on this.

His home run call for Moncada was fine. Especially for someone who is reacting to a TV broadcast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

The entirety of this exchange was asinine and you're both full of shit on this.

His home run call for Moncada was fine. Especially for someone who is reacting to a TV broadcast. 

I didn't see it I was just reacting to what someone posted in response to my post.  That said, everything that poster said is plausible and that was a very mediocre call by Jason.  Among other things he didn't even the count out before the ball was halfway over the fence.  Jason has things he needs to work on, his HR call is the obvious starting point.

15 hours ago, Kalapse said:

It's an enjoyable broadcast, take a listen to any random team's announcers and chances are they suck major ass, are completely uninformed, know nothing about the modern game and are boring as hell. Benetti and Stone are none of those.

Exactly. And if you're watching a game you've been watching your whole life and know well, whoever is in the booth isn't going to have much impact on how much you enjoy it. I can see for myself what is going on in the game.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I didn't see it I was just reacting to what someone posted in response to my post.  That said, everything that poster said is plausible and that was a very mediocre call by Jason.  Among other things he didn't even the count out before the ball was halfway over the fence.  Jason has things he needs to work on, his HR call is the obvious starting point.

He's reacting to a TV. He's not physically there with a behind the plate view.

Hawk would be calling about 10 false WAY BACKS a game in this current scenario.

And also "ok the gist of his presentation was a complete fucking lie"

And Benetti's intonation clearly showed he understood that it was an important home run, just like the awful Brew Crew.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's reacting to a TV. He's not physically there with a behind the plate view.

Hawk would be calling about 10 false WAY BACKS a game in this current scenario.

And also "ok the gist of his presentation was a complete fucking lie"

And Benetti's intonation clearly showed he understood that it was an important home run, just like the awful Brew Crew.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.  If Jason is the most controversial thing about this team I'm cool with that.

His home run calls are the absolute worst.  However, just not having Hawk call them, is going to be a huge downgrade, no matter who is calling them.  But, aside from that, he's good.

I'd rather have some false WAY BACKS, because when one goes over and the YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YES happens, it's even more awesome.

• Like 2