Not so happy anniversary

Big Hurtin

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

It's too bad RV ruined his legacy with Sox fans because his legacy nationally is always going to be the headlock with Ryan.  Might only have Mets fans left with a good impression of him.

Agreed, it does suck that nationally, the Ryan thing is the first thing that comes up when Ventura is mentioned. To me, he’s a first round pick that played 10 good years with the Sox. Excellent fielder, bunch of grand slams, and a helluva funny, relatable guy that connected with the fan base. The managerial years were a waste, I’ve already forgotten about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, flavum said:

Agreed, it does suck that nationally, the Ryan thing is the first thing that comes up when Ventura is mentioned. To me, he’s a first round pick that played 10 good years with the Sox. Excellent fielder, bunch of grand slams, and a helluva funny, relatable guy that connected with the fan base. The managerial years were a waste, I’ve already forgotten about.

The walk off grand slam against Goose Gossage is the one I will never forget.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Was one of my favorite players growing up but he absolutely ruined it with his management tenure.  I'm sure others have their own opinions but for me that's where I'm at.

I met Ryan at his Bassin' Inn motel/restaurant at Choke Canyon about  twenty years ago and we chatted a bit. He said his first reaction was oh shit here he comes then as Robin was about half way Ryan said Robin looked confused and hesitated. (Robin has said as he charged he realized Ryan was his dad's age). 

Really Robin was in a no win situation. Hit an old man or stop like you're chicken. He found an even worse option, getting his ass kicked.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I met Ryan at his Bassin' Inn motel/restaurant at Choke Canyon about  twenty years ago and we chatted a bit. He said his first reaction was oh shit here he comes then as Robin was about half way Ryan said Robin looked confused and hesitated. (Robin has said as he charged he realized Ryan was his dad's age). 

Really Robin was in a no win situation. Hit an old man or stop like you're chicken. He found an even worse option, getting his ass kicked.

Nolan is my all time favorite baseball player, and Robin is my all time favorite White Sox player.  Honestly it wouldn't shock me if Nolan could still hit 90.

We shook hands and I thought I needed a nurse. 

I honestly didn't recognize him at first. He was sitting alone at a table and we were the only other people in the restaurant. He saw my Sox cap and made a comment about wearing that in his restaurant. 

He seemed to enjoy telling the story.

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We shook hands and I thought I needed a nurse. 

I honestly didn't recognize him at first. He was sitting alone at a table and we were the only other people in the restaurant. He saw my Sox cap and made a comment about wearing that in his restaurant. 

He seemed to enjoy telling the story.

My mom actually took care of his mom when we lived down there at the Pasadena hospital back in like 81 or 82.  She came home and asked me if I knew who Nolan Ryan was, and I about had a meltdown when she told me she didn't get an autograph, lol.  He lived like two towns over from where i lived when I was down there.  Never heard a bad thing about the guy.

• Like 1

Parents. Lol.

When Minnie Miniso died my daughter told me she met him. One of her college friends was neighbors with him and they would hang out together. She showed me a picture of them in his kitchen. 

How about an invite for dad? Autograph? He's one of my heroes. Shrug

Ryan closed down the restaurant and I think the motel closed as well. I would always stop hoping to see him again. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Parents. Lol.

When Minnie Miniso died my daughter told me she met him. One of her college friends was neighbors with him and they would hang out together. She showed me a picture of them in his kitchen. 

How about an invite for dad? Autograph? He's one of my heroes. Shrug

Ryan closed down the restaurant and I think the motel closed as well. I would always stop hoping to see him again. 

Was it in Alvin?

The Sox were going with the theory of bringing in a totally different type of personality to manage the ball club after Ozzie left.  Ventura just never seemed to really want the job imho.  I still loved him as a player and realize he was just not cut out to manage.