Rodon to IL, Basabe DFA’d, Lail called up

6 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder if someone takes a shot at him. Babe has barely played above A ball and not performed well at AA so putting him in the majors would be a bit much.

However it is only 50 more games and a team like the Os or royals could say screw it and put him on the roster.

If I'm the O's I give him a shot. But I think Levine is right that he's out of options is the reasoning, and there's just no room when they're trying to win. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a decent player somewhere. 

It's not a huge deal if they've landed Colas, Cespedes or both. 

Adolfo is also out of options so it wouldn't surprise me if he's next on the chopping block. 

Injuries killed both Basabe and Adolfo with the Sox. They might figure it out somewhere else. It's tough to give these guys a shot when they've not had success above A ball and you're trying to win. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Nicky Delmonico, OF, Chicago White Sox

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)

·         HIT

·         POWER

·         RUN

·         ARM

·         FIELD

·         Hollywood good looks

Random thought of the day: This team may not be a world series contender yet, but between Nicky, McCann, Yoan, Luis, Ryan Goins, , and some more I am probably missing, this team would absolutely be a contender for "best sexy team calendar in the MLB" if they put one out.

Shit, it'd probably sell enough to make up for at least half of those 9 figure losses that Jerry was complaining about! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If I'm the O's I give him a shot. But I think Levine is right that he's out of options is the reasoning, and there's just no room when they're trying to win. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a decent player somewhere. 

It's not a huge deal if they've landed Colas, Cespedes or both. 

Adolfo is also out of options so it wouldn't surprise me if he's next on the chopping block. 

Injuries killed both Basabe and Adolfo with the Sox. They might figure it out somewhere else. It's tough to give these guys a shot when they've not had success above A ball and you're trying to win. 

If Adolfo (or one of the other top OF) prospects get DFA next.. Then yes, this Cespedes/Colas thing has serious legs and becomes plausible.

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

Random thought of the day: This team may not be a world series contender yet, but between Nicky, McCann, Yoan, Luis, Ryan Goins, , and some more I am probably missing, this team would absolutely be a contender for "best sexy team calendar in the MLB" if they put one out.

Shit, it'd probably sell enough to make up for at least half of those 9 figure losses that Jerry was complaining about! 

Kopech is our golden turkey. Cease is nice, Giolito aint bad. Keuchel I bet could get any country girl. Madrigal, Anderson..  We may be the hottest team in baseball (pun intended)

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Kopech is our golden turkey. Cease is nice, Giolito aint bad. Keuchel I bet could get any country girl. Madrigal, Anderson..  We may be the hottest team in baseball (pun intended)

Keuchel and Mendick can do a joint photoshoot for No Shave November's picture

10 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Friend of mine is a Twins fan and even she said we have a very good looking team. Even Mendick's mustache she said and I quote "gets her all hot and bothered" LOL. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Not posted yet?

Detwiler has been awesome in his role.  It could be a short term thing (see that with bullpen pieces all the time) but the Sox need to ride it out as long as he is getting the job done.  

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I do not understand the DFA of Basabe. He's going to get claimed by Detroit, Miami or the like. 

Not necessarily. He hasn't shown much if any success at the Double-A level. He would most likely be incredibly overmatched at the MLB level. Being out of options entering 2021 does not help his cause either. 

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I bet he doesn't get claimed.

I'm going to go with this.

Looking at his minor league stats, my guess would be the Sox simple don't see him ever being able to have enough success with the bat to be anything more than a weak-side platoon player or defensive replacement. He has a terrible .230 average against RHP the last 4 years with a 27% K rate, which really doesn't really make him all that different from what Engel currently provides. Luis Gonzalez would really be his only competition in the minors, and he has shown far greater success than Basabe. It's an off move since Delmonico is still here, but that'll be moot fairly soon once Anderson returns. 

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I might just go with a bullpen day for that slot in the rotation. That’s basically what yesterday ended up being. Let Foster throw the first couple of innings. 

Problem is the pen has been stretched already with few starters seemingly able to go deep into games. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I, like others, don't really get why you DFA Basabe over Delmonico who has no role on this team with Mazara back.  But I also trust the Sox have a pretty good feel for Basabe at this point.  I can't really imagine he clears waivers, but with him being out of options next year (along with Adolfo I believe) there just isn't space for him.  

Especially for a dude who is still just 26 years old. 

Adolfo has at least one option left as the Sox were given exceptions for his injuries.

I'm not ruling out basabe could become a decent player but it is going a long road for him. 

On the positive side he can take a walk but while he does have a bit of pop it is not nearly enough to make a 30% k rate work.

To make a 30% k rate work you need to hit 30+ bombs and I dont see that for him.

Realistically he is a .245 hitter with 15 bombs at his peak. Even with a 10% walk rate that is not that exciting (maybe like a 90wrc+) especially since he is ok in the Of but not great there either. 

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

I made a thread about this in the past. Should probably revive it.

Not only do the Sox have the better 3rd baseman in Chicago, they have the better LOOKING one as well. Suck it, Cubs.

5 hours ago, wegner said:

So did the Red Sox win that trade now with Basabe getting released? ;)

I don't think Basabe had anything to do with deciding who won the trade.  Kopech does, however.  Boston won the trade short term, White Sox should win it long term, regardless of what Kopech does or doesn't do.  I know it's way too early to be talking like this, but Moncada has HOF written all over him.

34 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I don't think Basabe had anything to do with deciding who won the trade.  Kopech does, however.  Boston won the trade short term, White Sox should win it long term, regardless of what Kopech does or doesn't do.  I know it's way too early to be talking like this, but Moncada has HOF written all over him.

I actually was very happy with the trade as soon as I saw Moncada on the big league club.  I just thought he had the look of a special professional hitter even when he was struggling.  Plus I have always loved to see him run!!