Rodon to IL, Basabe DFA’d, Lail called up

20 hours ago, Kalapse said:

This is just stupid and short sighted.

20 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Sucks to lose Basabe.  Pitching injuries are creating a real roster crunch.

20 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What the hell... I would be absolutely stunned if he does not get claimed. Top 10 prospect in a relatively strong prospect group.  No way he doesn't get claimed

Hope he can somehow stick around, what an odd move

I know he's out of options and is behind Mazara, and apparently Adolfo and Rutherford, but he was still very promising

Not the first guy I'm dumping, he's still highly regarded

22 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What the hell... I would be absolutely stunned if he does not get claimed. Top 10 prospect in a relatively strong prospect group.  No way he doesn't get claimed

Basabe is certainly not a top ten Sox prospect at this stage. There are considerable concerns about his bat playing at the MLB level. 

I am willing to bet Basabe does not get claimed and ends up returning to the Sox

20 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Random thought of the day: This team may not be a world series contender yet, but between Nicky, McCann, Yoan, Luis, Ryan Goins, , and some more I am probably missing, this team would absolutely be a contender for "best sexy team calendar in the MLB" if they put one out.

Shit, it'd probably sell enough to make up for at least half of those 9 figure losses that Jerry was complaining about! 

20 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Random thought of the day: This team may not be a world series contender yet, but between Nicky, McCann, Yoan, Luis, Ryan Goins, , and some more I am probably missing, this team would absolutely be a contender for "best sexy team calendar in the MLB" if they put one out.

Shit, it'd probably sell enough to make up for at least half of those 9 figure losses that Jerry was complaining about! 

If they make me the water boy the sexy group is complete 

Edited by elrockinMT

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I would have rather given Burdi a look given he's already on the 40 man. 

There must be something going on there. He looked physically ready in the one Spring Training outing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

Lail made his Mariners debut. 3 major league games for three different teams.

Who wants to take bets on the largest number of teams any single player will make an appearance for this year? I bet you there will be a player who appears for more than 5 teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Quin said:

Basabe officially made his debut.

I have a bad feeling we’re going look back at this and wonder why we just gave him away.  I get he was likely a 40 man casualty next year anyways, but perhaps in the offseason a rebuilding team would have given up something for him.  The Padres really fucked us here by poaching young talent in the Rule 5 and forcing us to protect guys like Basabe a year earlier than normal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have a bad feeling we’re going look back at this and wonder why we just gave him away.  I get he was likely a 40 man casualty next year anyways, but perhaps in the offseason a rebuilding team would have given up something for him.  The Padres really fucked us here by poaching young talent in the Rule 5 and forcing us to protect guys like Basabe a year earlier than normal.

I’d say to opposite. Basabe has struggled the past 3 years and doesn’t look like anything more than a 4th OF type player IMO. The guy can’t hit RHP. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have tools to be something more, but looking at his stats/splits in Birmingham, he’s expendable. He was quickly falling off the top prospect rankings across multiple sites. These types of players grow on trees. Sox probably tried to sneak him through and another team took a chance.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I’d say to opposite. Basabe has struggled the past 3 years and doesn’t look like anything more than a 4th OF type player IMO. The guy can’t hit RHP. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have tools to be something more, but looking at his stats/splits in Birmingham, he’s expendable. He was quickly falling off the top prospect rankings across multiple sites. These types of players grow on trees. Sox probably tried to sneak him through and another team took a chance.

The Sox actually traded him for cash, so this was about clearing a 40 man spot.  And yes, I’m not suggesting he’ll be a star, but I think he could end being a damn good 4th OF / spot starter.  It’s not the end of the world by losing him, but still sucks to lose him for nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox actually traded him for cash, so this was about clearing a 40 man spot.  And yes, I’m not suggesting he’ll be a star, but I think he could end being a damn good 4th OF / spot starter.  It’s not the end of the world by losing him, but still sucks to lose him for nothing.

Yeah I could see him being another Leuery Garcia type.  I think that would be a good comp and a good career.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He can't play a cromulent CF from almost every report.  That means he'll never be a "damn good" 4th OF.  At best he's a AAAA type unless he radically changes his batted ball profile.  It can happen, but it's unlikely.  I'm just glad the Sox aren't in a position like the Giants where a player like Basabe is ANYWHERE near the MLB roster.

Edited by chitownsportsfan