PItching injuries list

southsider2k5

So far I know we have Rodon/Lopez/Lambert from the Sox

I saw Roberto Osuna was recommended for TJS, but it getting a second opinion.

Other notables I can think of include Mike Soroka, Ohtani, Verlander, and Kluber, and I know I am missing some others.

This year might well be decided by guys who are somewhere between 35-40 on the depth charts.

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder what is the reason for all those injuries. The sox pitching has been rather durable in the mid 2010s but maybe they just got lucky that Quintana, sale and Samardzija were quite durable and it wasn't a systemic advantage.

10 to 1 on the screwed up training schedule. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder what is the reason for all those injuries. The sox pitching has been rather durable in the mid 2010s but maybe they just got lucky that Quintana, sale and Samardzija were quite durable and it wasn't a systemic advantage.

Shark only had one season.

Danks was the significant contract piece going down that scared JR, apparently.  Of course Rodon and Erik Johnson immediately come to mind.

Miguel Gonzalez was the other name in that time frame who was relatively reliable, but certainly not a prospect.  

On 8/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, caulfield12 said:

Shark only had one season.

Danks was the significant contract piece going down that scared JR, apparently.  Of course Rodon and Erik Johnson immediately come to mind.

Miguel Gonzalez was the other name in that time frame who was relatively reliable, but certainly not a prospect.  

I don't think Erik Johnson comes to mind for anyone, let alone immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I don't think Erik Johnson comes to mind for anyone, let alone immediately.

I mean in terms of the trustworthiness of starting pitching prospects over the long term.

The previous generation or two of Sox prospects, look what happened to Brandon McCarthy and then Daniel Hudson, for example.

Not the greatest track record for investing unless you're a licensed riverboat gambler.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I mean in terms of the trustworthiness of starting pitching prospects over the long term.

The previous generation or two of Sox prospects, look what happened to Brandon McCarthy and then Daniel Hudson, for example.

Not the greatest track record for investing unless you're a licensed riverboat gambler.

The interesting thing is they also cut bait on both of those guys pretty early.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The interesting thing is they also cut bait on both of those guys pretty early.

Both, SUPPOSEDLY, due to differences of opinion or rifts with the Don Cooper School of Thought.

That said, you need to strike gold with at least one or two FA's (see Rangers last year with Lynn/Minor.)

And who would have thought that Montas and Bassitt would still be contributing major leaguers at this point in their careers?    Not many...

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Both, SUPPOSEDLY, due to differences of opinion or rifts with the Don Cooper School of Thought.

That's why their side is going to be.  But more often than not, when they are trying to make a mechanical change, there is a reason behind it.  Seeing the injury history both of these guys had, there is good justification for it.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That's why their side is going to be.  But more often than not, when they are trying to make a mechanical change, there is a reason behind it.  Seeing the injury history both of these guys had, there is good justification for it.

Right, and it's been perfectly justified with Giolito.    Who deserves credit, that's an argument for another day.

Not only does he hide the ball better with the short arm action, it's safer mechnically and also causing the optical illusion of the ball jumping up on the batter a tick or so faster.

Take Greg775's favorite motion, Nate Jones.   It doesn't help if you throw 95-100 if you can't stay healthy and on the field more often than not.

Rodon, as PTAC has noted since the day he was drafted, had delivery flaws that would lead to health problems as well as inconsistent ability to throw strikes.  He was right on in that assessment.   He also strikes me as one of those pitchers who "goes his own way" and hasn't listened as well to the coaching staff with Boras Corp and his wife/family seemingly steering his career more than the White Sox.

Take away a potential trade partner (but also have a better FA reduced contract chance) as Stroman opts out for season. This one surprises me on a contract year and wanting to show he is healthy. This really could be a great pickup for Sox to get TOR potential without a 5+ year deal. No one is giving him more than 3 years after this and honestly he may want to do just a one year prove it deal, which could be amazing for the Sox. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Take away a potential trade partner (but also have a better FA reduced contract chance) as Stroman opts out for season. This one surprises me on a contract year and wanting to show he is healthy. This really could be a great pickup for Sox to get TOR potential without a 5+ year deal. No one is giving him more than 3 years after this and honestly he may want to do just a one year prove it deal, which could be amazing for the Sox. 

These guys don't really target hitter friendly destinations though. I'm sure he could get a one year deal somewhere more pitcher friendly.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:12 AM, caulfield12 said:

But, they do target teams with the potential to be good/great...all other things being equal.

For a one year deal team greatness doesn't matter though. Sure a ring would be welcome but pitchers aren't judged by wins anymore and basically you just need one year of good results.