Madrigal leaves with injured shoulder - separated - out a month

southsider2k5

Well, the obvious positive is that it's not the RIGHT shoulder, but you just wonder if he's going to end up having season-ending surgery.

Surely, we can have SOME good luck after 12 seasons without a single playoff appearance?

Might as well add EE to the headline.

Left game for Collins due to an injured right shoulder.

Vaughn or stay with Collins?  DH Mazara and start Engel in RF?

Edited by caulfield12

Not sure if this is a brainfart on the White Sox twitter account after posting the left shoulder injury for EE, or if this is genuinely a left shoulder injury?

We all saw the wrist being the issue - could it be a stinger from the hit to the wrist that was felt up in the shoulder? I don't get it.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Surprised there hasn’t been more details about the injury. You would think a dislocation/separation would have been reported already. Hoping for the best.

Wouldn't this lead you to believe that "the best" is the likely outcome?

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Would think the opposite, actually. If it was a simple dislocation you’d think it would be quickly reported.

Something else requiring more testing would perhaps take longer.

49 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yes, doesn’t sound like any imaging was done. I know there’s structural issues to worry about, but so far seems hopeful for best case scenario.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Might as well add EE to the headline.

Left game for Collins due to an injured right shoulder.

Vaughn or stay with Collins?  DH Mazara and start Engel in RF?

Are you purposely trying to offend us Yermin fanboys because ignoring him as the obvious replacement. I think those who deny Yermin's potential are afraid to see him get his shot because they will look stupid when he rakes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

"Jammed" is a good sign. It means that it's not the more serious dislocation/subluxation of the glenohumeral joint or a separation of the AC joint. You would think they would state those if that's what happened as those are fairly obvious to find but you never know. The primary concern now is if he injured his labrum. This would be the injury that may need surgery.  

By the way he was holding it to not move it you still cant rule out the more serious ones but the report is hopeful.

36 minutes ago, ptatc said:

"Jammed" is a good sign. It means that it's not the more serious dislocation/subluxation of the glenohumeral joint or a separation of the AC joint. You would think they would state those if that's what happened as those are fairly obvious to find but you never know. The primary concern now is if he injured his labrum. This would be the injury that may need surgery.  

By the way he was holding it to not move it you still cant rule out the more serious ones but the report is hopeful.

Thanks for the expertise as always brother, your in depth thoughts give a voice to my layman caveman like interpretation which has been something along these lines:

“Dumb play go bang, bad ouch have no good. Quick news good... wait not for more uh-oh. Small bang or long bang? Long bang no!!”

Seems to me based on your assessment with little to go off, he’s either day to day or is out for the rest of the year if it ends up being something requiring surgery?

( As you can see above, I know nothing in this realm. )

Edited by hi8is

We just need to wait for the news. Could be something harmless or could be a subluxation with a torn tendon and cartilage damage which would be the worst case.

Hopefully it is the former, but good thing it is his left shoulder so he should be fine again even if it is bad.

But let's hope for the best now.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Thanks for the expertise as always brother, your in depth thoughts give a voice to my layman caveman like interpretation which has been something along these lines:

“Dumb play go bang, bad ouch have no good. Quick news good... wait not for more uh-oh. Small bang or long bang? Long bang no!!”

Seems to me based on your assessment with little to go off, he’s either day to day or is out for the rest of the year if it ends up being something requiring surgery?

( As you can see above, I know nothing in this realm. )

Those are the 2 most likely. There are a couple middle ground scenarios for a 2-4 week absence.  A labral tear not significant enough for surgery or a mild AC separation.  

To the Avi post above, I gotta say I’d actually be much more concerned about a labrum than any other outcome.  I get that a wrist can be problematic (see Carlos Quentin) but the labrum recovery seems longer and trickier. 

Madrigal already struggles to drive the ball (as we all know) - and a labrum tear can really sap your power for a year + even if otherwise functional.  Avi, Kris Bryant, etc. are a few that have cited it as a lingering issue.  

Also speaking from experience here, as I tore my labrum senior year of high school and played through it...yeah I’m sure nobody cares. 

• knightni changed the title to Madrigal leaves with injured shoulder - separated - out a month