Madrigal leaves with injured shoulder - separated - out a month

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I'd really like to sign someone like Scooter that can play OF and 2nd. Good depth move and he's gotta be cheap. 

It would probably take him 2-3 weeks to be in "game condition," though.    Guess it just depends on what he has been doing everyday in the last 8 months or so.

Same with a guy like Dozier who was released over the summer camp (SD).

I tore my labrum 7 years ago at age 52.  Took a little more than 2 months of PT, but no surgery was needed.  There were lingering effects for awhile but I eventually got past those. The big difference, of course, is that I’m not trying to hit major league pitching or turn double plays from the 2nd base position, even on an amateur level.  I imagine that Avi and Bryant might still be suffering lingering effects because they cannot realistically wait long enough for the last 1-2% to heal completely.

35 minutes ago, asindc said:

I tore my labrum 7 years ago at age 52.  Took a little more than 2 months of PT, but no surgery was needed.  There were lingering effects for awhile but I eventually got past those. The big difference, of course, is that I’m not trying to hit major league pitching or turn double plays from the 2nd base position, even on an amateur level.  I imagine that Avi and Bryant might still be suffering lingering effects because they cannot realistically wait long enough for the last 1-2% to heal completely.

Also they are not 52

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

It would probably take him 2-3 weeks to be in "game condition," though.    Guess it just depends on what he has been doing everyday in the last 8 months or so.

Same with a guy like Dozier who was released over the summer camp (SD).

Did MLB ever set up that camp of free agents that teams could scout and sign?  I heard about it once or twice before the season then never again.

1 hour ago, username said:

To the Avi post above, I gotta say I’d actually be much more concerned about a labrum than any other outcome.  I get that a wrist can be problematic (see Carlos Quentin) but the labrum recovery seems longer and trickier. 

Madrigal already struggles to drive the ball (as we all know) - and a labrum tear can really sap your power for a year + even if otherwise functional.  Avi, Kris Bryant, etc. are a few that have cited it as a lingering issue.  

Also speaking from experience here, as I tore my labrum senior year of high school and played through it...yeah I’m sure nobody cares. 

That would be concerning but it is more concerning if you hurt your dominant arm shoulder.

In fact, shoulder injuries have developed a reputation for having a power-sapping effect on many hitters in their first season back—an effect that was thrust into the spotlight after Matt Kemp struggled upon returning from labrum surgery. The problem that Kemp, and many other hitters have run into, is regaining their previous mechanics with a weak and untrustworthy shoulder after a season off. As important as it is to rebuild strength, relearning swing mechanics can prove the most challenging part of the rehabilitation process, especially when the injury is to the lead shoulder in a swing (unfortunately, this is the case for Bird).

So while a hitter returning from any long-term injury carries a decent level of risk, one on his way back from shoulder (or labrum) surgery is particularly hard to evaluate. Trying to use Bird’s 2015 to project his 2017 might largely be pointless, since his performance will hinge more on that shoulder than it will his true talent level. With that in mind, it may be most helpful to use past examples of labrum tears to form an expectation for Bird. Should we expect a significant offensive downtick, with less power? Or could more than a full year of rehab (and at-bats in the Arizona Fall League, which have gone very well so far) be enough for Bird to regain his previous form?

To find a solid precedent for Bird, I looked at every batter that underwent labrum surgery from 2007 to 2015 and proceeded to log at least 50 games the following season. Unfortunately, there weren’t many examples—17 to be specific. I looked at their performance (measured by wRC+ for overall offensive value and slugging percentage for power output) the season before their surgery, and recorded the same metrics for the two seasons (if available) following the surgery.

Among the 17 examples, I didn’t find a strong correlation between pre- and post-injury output. On average, batters didn’t see their offensive output tick down at all in their first or second seasons back. In fact, their wRC+ and SLG marks stayed fairly consistent. That doesn’t mean all batters had fairly steady production, though. The lack of correlation points toward a fairly wide variance among each hitter. Some, such as Adam LaRoche and Coco Crisp actually improved, while others, like Hanley Ramirez and Luke Scott, stayed relatively steady, and an unlucky bunch, including Matt Kemp and Melvin Upton Jr., struggled in their first year back.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/yankees-analysis-sabermetrics/2016/10/14/13281438/yankees-greg-bird-injury-shoulder-labrum-surgery

4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

That would be concerning but it is more concerning if you hurt your dominant arm shoulder.

Sure, for a pitcher and middle infielder throwing with high stress, no doubt.

But hitting-wise, it's the lead (left shoulder) for a right-handed batter that is most impacted.  And obviously, the opposite, right shoulder for a LHB.

Edited by caulfield12

His doctor's office first asked him all the Covid screening questions then suggested a telemed visit or delaying seeing the doctor for six months. 

Wait that's what happens to the rest of us . . .

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Rosters go to 28 tomorrow. They may well be waiting a day to DL them to take care of the 2 lost spots, instead of calling 2 up, to send them down tomorrow.

I keep expecting MLB to announce delaying the cut. 

• knightni changed the title to Madrigal leaves with injured shoulder - separated - out a month