Ozzie isn't very good on the Pre/Post-Game

Look at Ray Ray Run

44 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ranger the most sane Sox fan that has ever existed. Not shocked that caufield didn't like em.

He was condescending, and took out his anger on fans quite often.

He didn’t consider whether he was growing the product or not...how he might be coming across to kids at home listening?

Simply, he was a management/front office/ownership spokesperson.

No empathy, and he rarely complimented anyone for making an insightful point...like ever.  He was always, I’m this “elite” guy with insiderish knowledge and connections, everyone else is beneath me.

He was always a bigger fan of the Cardinals than Sox, for another.

Listen to C-Span Washington Journal to see it done well.  90% of callers are meatheads that need to be cut off, but they are oh so much more patient with callers.  Teach the game if someone doesn’t understand a point.  Don’t just mock them and talk down to them and play Hero Ball for the 10-15% who really understand and follow the team religiously.

I highly doubt there are many here who simply loved Chris Rongey and felt he was an excellent ambassador for the organization.  Because he wasn’t.  Give me a Brooks Boyer every day who is positive, optimistic...Dave Wills, same, or even Scott Merkin.   They love the game and the White Sox, not just hearing themselves get the last word in time after time.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ranger the most sane Sox fan that has ever existed. Not shocked that Caulfield didn't like em.

I found Ranger to be fairly condescending far too often. He got a pass because of all the meatheads on the post game show, but he was no different when he started posting here as well. Some fanboys here kissed his tail too, making him even more insufferable. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He didn’t consider whether he was growing the product or not...how he might be coming across to kids at home listening?

No empathy, and he rarely complimented anyone for making an insightful point...like ever.  He was always, I’m this “elite” guy with insiderish knowledge and connections, everyone else is beneath me.

Listen to C-Span Washington Journal to see it done well.  90% of callers are meatheads that need to be cut off, but they are oh so much more patient with callers.  Teach the game if someone doesn’t understand a point.  Don’t just mock them and talk down to them and play Hero Ball for the 10-15% who really understand and follow the team religiously.

I highly doubt there are many here who simply loved Chris Rongey and felt he was an excellent ambassador for the organization.  Because he wasn’t.  Give me a Brooks Boyer every day who is positive, optimistic...Dave Wills, same, or even Scott Merkin.   They love the game and the White Sox, not just hearing themselves get the last word in time after time.

Posted before refreshing my browser but you and I are on the same page. 

1 hour ago, Pants Rowland said:

I found Ranger to be fairly condescending far too often. He got a pass because of all the meatheads on the post game show, but he was no different when he started posting here as well. Some fanboys here kissed his tail too, making him even more insufferable. 

Agreed.  It’s as if someone congratulated him early on for finally laying into the kind of meathead caller that drives everyone crazy...then he leaned too hard into that act, tried to “own” too many callers, and dialed the righteous indignation up to 10 far too frequently.  Eventually condescending exasperation became his default tone and he just came across as a bully.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I thought this would be a good role for Ozzie with is gift for gab, but I think I have seen more of his weaknesses as a manager, versus some kind of insight he had as a manager.  He primarily just throws other people under the bus.  It might have made for some teambuilding to have a common enemy in the lockerroom, but it makes for a crappy post game show.  From someone like that, I want to hear a perspective that the ordinary person doesn't have.  I want to hear something that only a player/coach/manager is going to arrive at, and not someone who isn't intimately involved in the game.  These are the kinds of things that both Stone and Hawk did really well.  They could peel back the curtain just a little bit, and tease you with something you wouldn't have thought of as a regular fan at home.  Ozzie just comes off as a twitter troll smacktalking the manager or someone else.  I want in the moment insight, not in the moment pettiness.

The last few years in particular have taught that a lot of people take outsized joy in seeing the pettiness, intemperance, and bluster of the comments section invade the somber, measured tones of the article.  I’ve always appreciated that line myself, and don’t get titillated by seeing people speak in a public forum like they’re a blowhard in a bar.  But I guess there will always be a market for that. 

I am a journalist, and I interviewed Ozzie when he was near the end of his playing career and was on the Braves. He came across as approachable and open. He more than willingly talked about his "we don't owe the fans anything" remark. He told me some fans had yelled some racial taunts at Frank Thomas and so he felt he had to speak up. Guillen also spoke about how he loved playing for the White Sox. He praised the organization, and it was obvious he wanted the manager's job as he knew his playing days were coming to an end.

I knew one fan who used to belong a fan group, and Ozzie often came to speak to the group. Apparently the fans and Ozzie enjoyed each other. Jon Garland told me that one reason he had a good 2005 season was because Ozzie believed in him, and that allowed Garland to believe in himself.

But then came the end of 2011 and the disaster in Miami.

At SoxFest in 2015, the team had players from the 2005 club come in to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the World Series winners. Guillen wasn't there, and from what I understood, was not even in the country. 

Guillen was a good short stop and he had a nice playing career with the White Sox. He is still the only Sox manager to win a World Series in the past century. I think he wants to connect with Sox fans again, but that doesn't appear to be working out. None of this should be happening.

In a past post, I said Ozzie should move on. What I meant is that he needs to deal with the bitterness and disappointments of the past. He made contributions to the franchise. His legacy should focus on that. Not this, whatever this is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Hey, now.  There's a growing market for the blow up doll in Toronto dust-up.   Could it be any worse than Our Chuck updates?   Plus, I already have Yasiel Puig lined up as first guest via Zoom to talk glowingly about his fellow countrymen. 

Anyone ever tell you, you look just like Obama? Resemblance is striking

Our Chuck is the best sideline reporter in sports. The only one who offers value to any broadcast, really. I hope they don't have him in the studio permanently. 

Re: Ozzie's Swisher comment...who cares? No idea why this story has blown up. Ozzie barely said anything by his standards and Swisher is one of the most hated players in Sox history.

Ozzie analysis is pretty good. He's actually better than I expected in the role.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Dave Wills was the standard to which all Sox fans should aspire.

I still listen to him doing Rays’ games occasionally, but mostly on the road.

He just has a warmth about him, he treats fans with respect...is knowledgeable and passionate, but never belittles.

John Rooney had that quality...still does.  For me, Wayne Hagin and Rooney will always be the gold standard.   After that broadcasting team was broken up, Sox radio broadcasts have always been a bit lacking.   

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Rongey was like Bagdhad Bob

He was “fine” in the beginning...and would have been okay if the team performances and franchise in general were going in a positive direction.  He became another victim of the toxicity around the team.   He didn’t need to get fired like Stone and Caray by the Cubs.  Try to demonstrate some objectivity and don’t try to sell the fans something they won’t buy.  And especially don’t double down on that position, instead of lightening up and discovering a middle ground between carrying water for the team and doing something where you’re so critical/open/honest you’re constantly on the verge of getting fired (Harry Caray, Piersall, Drysdale.)

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, Pants Rowland said:

Didn't know he posted here, but always liked Ranger. I'm kind of a condescending douchebag sometimes too so that might be why. lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, I don't need some guy to be overly positive and lie to me. I didn't think he carried water, he just didn't get as extremely negative as many callers. He also didn't get overly positive about some guys. 

The Sox were a dumpster fire, and Ranger had no problem calling them that. Fans were also idiots, and he had no problem calling them that. That's sports radio in general; that's what people listen for. It is what it is. This isn't C-Span; it's a post-game show for a baseball team. As for kids listening at home... give me a break guy. It's a post-game show on the radio. The caller base was indicative of the listening base for those things; no kids are tuning into AM radio post-game shows in 2010-2020 and beyond.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I don't need some guy to be overly positive and lie to me.

The Sox were a dumpster fire, and Ranger had no problem calling them that. Fans were also idiots, and he had no problem calling them that. That's sports radio in general; that's what people listen for. It is what it is. This isn't C-Span; it's a post-game show for a baseball team. As for kids listening at home... give me a break guy. It's a post-game show on the radio. The caller base was indicative of the listening base for those things; no kids are tuning into AM radio post-game shows in 2010-2020 and beyond.

Fine, but WMAQ-670 was the only way (more at night) for this teenage Sox fan to follow the team from Iowa in the 1980’s.  Later, of course, SportsChannel and WGN.  It was either that, or Jack Buck/Mike Shannon doing the Cards’ games.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t know why Rongey was considered condescending but Dave Wills and his referring to the same callers Rongey had a problem with as drillrods, was universally loved.  I think Rongey got a little cranky when Ginger Zee dumped him.

Who wouldn't.

Rongey used to post here and he dated Ginger Zee?  Why did I waste so much of my life trolling at flying sock.com. 🤔 

I'm also shocked to learn Rongey was even a Sox fan.  I never got that impression from his post games.

Edited by wegner

28 minutes ago, wegner said:

Rongey used to post here and he dated Ginger Zee?  Why did I waste so much of my life trolling at flying sock.com. 🤔 

I'm also shocked to learn Rongey was even a Sox fan.  I never got that impression from his post games.

Cardinals, Cardinals, Cardinals, like Buehrle and Crede growing up.