Sox might not be aggressive in trading

southsider2k5

I am 100% okay with this. Unless a bargain comes your way - don't see any reason to be aggressive in a year that could get wiped out at any point in the season (and with such unknowns). Lets lock and load with the crew and see what they can do.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Not sure how they could be tbh.

Trading anything of note for a rental when we don't even know if the season will finish would be pretty dumb. And it will be tough to trade for a quality player signed through 2021+ because any prospect/young player that we would include as a centerpiece are probably valued higher by the Sox than any other trade partner (Madrigal, Kopech, Vaughn, mayyyybe Dunning/Stiever in a smaller trade).

Basically all of our tradeable assets already have a clear need on the 2021-2022 Sox that they need to address, so trading them to fill one hole would just open another. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’m fine with not upgrading rest of the season. Just have to hope the finances aren’t so screwed up that they can’t afford an upgrade in RF this offseason.

Unless he completely bombs, Mazara is the team‘s RF in 2021. Maybe they‘ll sign a better platoon bat, but that will be pretty much it.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Unless he completely bombs, Mazara is the team‘s RF in 2021. Maybe they‘ll sign a better platoon bat, but that will be pretty much it.

IMO, that would be a mistake. Next year is “go time” for this organization, and Mazara plays a position where you should be able to find someone who can be a 3 WAR player.  Nothing in Mazara’s profile suggests that will be him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

IMO, that would be a mistake. Next year is “go time” for this organization, and Mazara plays a position where you should be able to find someone who can be a 3 WAR player.  Nothing in Mazara’s profile suggests that will be him.

Unfortunately they get 50 games to eval him and not 140.

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m fine with not upgrading rest of the season. Just have to hope the finances aren’t so screwed up that they can’t afford an upgrade in RF this offseason.

Given what Jerry has said publicly and that he won't even fire Boylen, I'm expecting EE/Gonzalez/Cishek to be bought out and zero activity in FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Given what Jerry has said publicly and that he won't even fire Boylen, I'm expecting EE/Gonzalez/Cishek to be bought out and zero activity in FA. 

I expect some activity. Their payroll after arb and sitting at 23 players should be about 96M if they non-tender Rodon at seasons end including their buy outs and other commitments. They'll need to either sign McCann & Garcia or sign some new bench pieces. They will also need 1 more piece for the rotation to continue to ease in Kopech/Cease/Dunning/Stiever.

DH - Abreu
C - Grandal#
1B - Vaughn
2B - Madrigal
SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada#
LF - Jimenez
CF - Robert
RF - Mazara*

C -??
UT - ??
UT - Mendick
OF - Engel

SP - Giolito
SP - Keuchel*
SP - Cease
SP - Kopech
SP - ?? (Lopez? Rodon? if they don't DFA, Dunning? Stiever?)

CL - Bummer*
SU - Heuer
SU - Marshall
MR - Fry*
MR - Foster
MR - Cordero
MR - Burdi
LR - ?? (Lopez? Rodon? Flores?)

I could see a trade with the angels in the offseason if they sour on Mazara for something like Dunning + Collins for Brandon Marsh and D’Shawn Knowles. Angels need a 1B/C/DH with Albert on his last legs and Castro being the only option behind the dish and some additional back end pitching and have a glut of outfielders with Trout, Adell Upton and Goodwin backing them up.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Who though? The FA options all suck unless Castellanos opts out.

4 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Who though? The FA options all suck unless Castellanos opts out.

Springer doesn't suck. Pederson is a better fielder than Mazara as well. So there are options. But they 100% need to focus on a starter over RF as their last need to put them into real contenders. 

13 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Springer doesn't suck. Pederson is a better fielder than Mazara as well. So there are options. But they 100% need to focus on a starter over RF as their last need to put them into real contenders. 

Ah right, I was only looking at the players listed as RF.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

They've locked up premium talent for cheap prices so there should be no issues, especially since I would not expect them to pick up Encarnacion or Gonzalez options. The Abreu contract is kind of a pain but I'm not gonna beat that dead horse again. 

In terms of RF, if they are still interested in Joc he's kind of struggling this year so we could prolly get him cheap.