Sox might not be aggressive in trading

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

Cant we trade Nicky Delmonico for anything?

Doesn't hurt to send out some feelers...like finding out if the Dodgers are having second thoughts on that Mookie deal?  Rick could take him off of their hands.

41 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The wise choice.  Aggressive trading at this deadline this season is senseless (except for sellers if some fool team wants to buy).

The ideal situation is cash-strapped franchises that are non-competitive dumping contracts that are 1-2 years beyond 2020, providing some measure of team control without over-committing.

Stroman is a counter example, bringing someone in for a 4-5 week "internship/trial period" to see if he fits in well with the institutional culture of the team before hitting FA.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The ideal situation is cash-strapped franchises that are non-competitive dumping contracts that are 1-2 years beyond 2020, providing some measure of team control without over-committing.

Stroman is a counter example, bringing someone in for a 4-5 week "internship/trial period" to see if he fits in well with the institutional culture of the team before hitting FA.

Jerry's not going to do that, given that he's whining about the 1.6M owed to Boylen. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jerry's not going to do that, given that he's whining about the 1.6M owed to Boylen. 

Well, then this team isn't going to go very far in the playoffs with a #2 in Giolito and a #3/4 in Keuchel.   Unless they can just bludgeon teams to death offensively.  Didn't work all that well in 2000 and 2008 (well, not having Quentin was already the kiss of doom.)

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, then this team isn't going to go very far in the playoffs with a #2 in Giolito and a #3/4 in Keuchel.   Unless they can just bludgeon teams to death offensively.  Didn't work all that well in 2000 and 2008 (well, not having Quentin was already the kiss of doom.)

I'm bracing myself for Jerry to slash payroll this winter. Any replacements for EE/Gonzalez/Mazara/Rodon are going to have to come from within. 

Expecting Rodon to get non-tendered, and possibly Lopez too. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm bracing myself for Jerry to slash payroll this winter. Any replacements for EE/Gonzalez/Mazara/Rodon are going to have to come from within. 

Expecting Rodon to get non-tendered, and possibly Lopez too. 

I feel sorry for you.  Living life thinking everything that can go wrong will go wrong must really suck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Springer doesn't suck. Pederson is a better fielder than Mazara as well. So there are options. But they 100% need to focus on a starter over RF as their last need to put them into real contenders. 

I'd bring back Mazara, and sign Pederson to replace EE. Use DH for Eloy, Mazara, Pederson. If Mazara sucks you can always get rid of him when Vaughn is ready.

The Sox are in a similar position as they were in 2015 or so.  Can this FO do this time what it failed to do 5 or so years ago:  turn a young core of 5 or so young players into a contender?  Honestly, after 4 years of this,  and primo drafting positions, it's still a little disturbing that the core is so small.

Edited by GreenSox

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox are in a similar position as they were in 2015 or so.  Can this FO do this time what it failed to do 5 or so years ago:  turn a young core of 5 or so young players into a contender?  Honestly, after 4 years of this,  and primo drafting positions, it's still a little disturbing that the core is so small.

How is the core small?

Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, Robert, Vaughn, Madrigal, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Bummer, Crochet. And that’s not including fringe guys like Lopez, Heuer, etc who could be here long term too.

That’s a pretty solid foundation right there. The Sox just have to build around those guys and avoid wasting them like they did with the 2015 core.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How is the core small?

Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, Robert, Vaughn, Madrigal, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Bummer, Crochet. And that’s not including fringe guys like Lopez, Heuer, etc who could be here long term too.

That’s a pretty solid foundation right there. The Sox just have to build around those guys and avoid wasting them like they did with the 2015 core.

Yeah they have a pretty awesome foundation going forward.  Really seems RF and starting pitcher(s) is the biggest, and possibly only, area for improvement. 

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd bring back Mazara, and sign Pederson to replace EE. Use DH for Eloy, Mazara, Pederson. If Mazara sucks you can always get rid of him when Vaughn is ready.

Vaughn disappeared?   He needs to be playing 1B or DHing nearly every game.   Not a platoon hitter. 

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, GreenSox said:

What a horrible post.  Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Timmy, Madrigal, & Vaughn is six legit position players, plus Grandal is an important piece for the next three years.  Call it seven.  Giolito, Cease,   & Kopech should be rotational staples, so now call it 10.  Add in Bummer & Heuer as legit back-end bullpen guys and we’re at 12.  No fucking clue how you could compare this to 2015.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Vaughn disappeared?   He needs to be playing 1B or DHing nearly every game.   Not a platoon hitter. 

I don't get how Vaughn fits in on the roster, at least for the next  few years, especially if Eloy is at DH and Abreu is at First.   Admittedly this is my own first impression, but to me Vaughn looks so awkward defensively taking throws from the left side of the infield. He doesn't have the height to reach high throws or the flexibility to catch throws that are off the mark.   His lack of speed is pretty surprising for his age.  I don't know, maybe Eloy will stay in Left long term and Vaughn can DH. I certainly do not see him replacing Abreu at first base for the next few years.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Yeah they have a pretty awesome foundation going forward.  Really seems RF and starting pitcher(s) is the biggest, and possibly only, area for improvement. 

I think next offseason we’ll sign one starter and one reliever.  I’m not yet convinced they will add a RF or simply give Mazara another look (that will depend on how he plays down the stretch and whether or not we sign the younger Cespedes).  Regardless, here’s how I’d like to see things shake out:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Jimenez, LF
  4. Abreu, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Vaughn, 1B
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  • IF: Mendick
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: Collins*
  1. Baeur
  2. Giolito
  3. Keuchel*
  4. Cease
  5. Kopech
  • CL: Giles
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Heuer
  • MR: Lopez
  • MR: Rodon*
  • MR: Marshall
  • MR: Johnson
  • LR: Dunning

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think next offseason we’ll sign one starter and one reliever.  I’m not yet convinced they will add a RF or simply give Mazara another look (that will depend on how he plays down the stretch and whether or not we sign the younger Cespedes).  Regardless, here’s how I’d like to see things shake out:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Jimenez, LF
  4. Abreu, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Vaughn, 1B
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  • IF: Mendick
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: Collins*
  1. Baeur
  2. Giolito
  3. Keuchel*
  4. Cease
  5. Kopech
  • CL: Giles
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Heuer
  • MR: Lopez
  • MR: Rodon*
  • MR: Marshall
  • MR: Johnson
  • LR: Dunning

Is Y.Cespedes that advanced that he's ready to jump directly to the majors?

Or Colas, for that matter?

We definitely look to need at least one more (veteran) starting pitcher with quality stuff...like a Maeda/Odorizzi/Minor/Lynn type of impact.   Basically, another Keuchel, although good enough to slot in front of him, hopefully.

Not counting on Collins for much of anything at this point.

No Jimmy Cordero?  Detwiler?  Well, it's too early to say, right?   Same with Ian Hamilton, Stiever, Crochet and Kelley...how quickly they can rise to make an impact.

Buying Ken Giles is a pretty ballsy pick, but don't really consider him QUITE an elite reliever.  He has the stuff, but...just not dependable.  Really, the days of 1 elite designated closer per pen are seemingly becoming more and more a thing of the past, with 2-3 headed monsters in most bullpens that are interchangeable and can go multiple innings if needed.

Mazara/RF, is standing out like a sore thumb right now, just as it did during the entire offseason.   Need to get a 2-3 fWAR contributor there, and need to shore up the defense on that side if they're going to continue to shoehorn Jimenez into LF.   Plus, that puts all kinds of pressure on Robert to cover half the outfield, and eventually he's going to get injured trying to do too much even for him to compensate for the shoddy defense on both his left and right.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Bauer is a great pitcher but I don't like his cocky attitude on the mound. I guess that sounds like Ozzie not liking Swisher but it is what it is.

Stroman's not exactly known as a "shrinking violet" type either.

A little attitude and nastiness is perhaps needed to rub off on Mr. Nice Guy Lucas Giolito, Dylan Cease...and to be a role model and take Kopech under his wing next year (that's another reason why Wheeler would have been perfect, similar body styles and pure stuff.)

Or trade the entire farm system for de Grom and go for broke signing him to double or triple the largest contract in team history (Grandal).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Is Y.Cespedes that advanced that he's ready to jump directly to the majors?

Or Colas, for that matter?

We definitely look to need at least one more (veteran) starting pitcher with quality stuff...like a Maeda/Odorizzi/Minor/Lynn type of impact.   Basically, another Keuchel, although good enough to slot in front of him, hopefully.

Not counting on Collins for much of anything at this point.

No Jimmy Cordero?  Detwiler?  Well, it's too early to say, right?   Same with Ian Hamilton, Stiever, Crochet and Kelley...how quickly they can rise to make an impact.

Buying Ken Giles is a pretty ballsy pick, but don't really consider him QUITE an elite reliever.  He has the stuff, but...just not dependable.  Really, the days of 1 elite designated closer per pen are seemingly becoming more and more a thing of the past, with 2-3 headed monsters in most bullpens that are interchangeable and can go multiple innings if needed.

Mazara/RF, is standing out like a sore thumb right now, just as it did during the entire offseason.   Need to get a 2-3 fWAR contributor there, and need to shore up the defense on that side if they're going to continue to shoehorn Jimenez into LF.   Plus, that puts all kinds of pressure on Robert to cover half the outfield, and eventually he's going to get injured trying to do too much even for him to compensate for the shoddy defense on both his left and right.

In regards to Cespedes, what I mean is he’s advanced enough that you might only need a one year stop-gap (such as Mazara).  If we don’t sign Cespedes and don’t have that clear long-term option for RF, then it’s much easier to support signing a bigger name RF.  

As for the bullpen, the goal should be to have plenty of options and let the best guys win.  We saw it this year with Heuer and I think Johnson basically leaps Cordero, etc. to grab a spot.  All that being said, I think we need one more high-end guy to pair with Bummer & Heurer.  That doesn’t have be Giles, but I chose him due to stuff and age.

For the rotation, we definitely need another TOR type to pair with Giolito.  We can’t waste prime years of our young positional core why we wait for Cease or Kopech step up.  If we’re unable to sign someone (I chose Bauer due to his stated interest to do one-year deals), then we might have to trade for one.

37 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You trading Vaughn to get a #1 starter?

It would be tough but depending on the pitcher and control I would. 

Having a true ace is critical for yearly world series contention. Id have no problem with Collins and Abreu splitting time at DH, Eloy moving to 1st, and us finding a competent left fielder, IF we could bring in a bona-fide ace. Losing Vaughn would hurt, but it is about maximizing the roster to win titles. 

I know we have Kopech, Gio, and Cease, but if we move those guys down and have DK as a five with Rodon and Lopez in the bullpen, that becomes a multiple championship caliber staff to go with a championship caliber offense. 

Edited by SonofaRoache