Sox might not be aggressive in trading

southsider2k5

If the pitching holds up, this team will be really good. Probably not this year. The are a little short. Giolito, Kuechel, is a good start. Hope Cease and Kopech are close to what we hope. Lopez could go either way, but at the very least, a bullpen piece. Dunning, Steiver, an acquistion as a back end guy. I think the Rodon ship has sailed. They should be really good. But now that you have to send Gio Gonzalez out there every 5th day at this stage of his career, it's not happening this year. Enjoy the development and hope the pitching can stay healthy.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the pitching holds up, this team will be really good. Probably not this year. The are a little short. Giolito, Kuechel, is a good start. Hope Cease and Kopech are close to what we hope. Lopez could go either way, but at the very least, a bullpen piece. Dunning, Steiver, an acquistion as a back end guy. I think the Rodon ship has sailed. They should be really good. But now that you have to send Gio Gonzalez out there every 5th day at this stage of his career, it's not happening this year. Enjoy the development and hope the pitching can stay healthy.

That's reasonable. I always considered this year to be the "start winning year" with next year being the true contention year. It looks like it's the pitching audition ye. It has been fairly successful so far. The new guys  of Lambert, Heuer and Foster all look like they could be MLB pitchers, at least until Lambert went down. Hopefully Dunning and steiver make appearances and look good as well. This season staff would look better with Kopech instead of Gonzalez. 

This is a good progression toward next year.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Sox need to acquire a number 1 pitcher before next season. Our starters cannot be counted on to be championship ready yet. Gio and Kopech would be okay slotted at 2 and 3. 

de Grom, Sonny Gray (anyone could have acquired), Lance Lynn (avail to all), Trevor Bauer (avail to all)...just have to be smart, like Reds’ and Rangers’ GM’s.  That said, Mike Minor hasn’t been able to repeat 2019 success.

Or hire someone from Braves, Dodgers, Indians or Brewers‘ front offices , they always maximize pitching talent.

Padres, another team that has amassed huge pitching depth...Rays, etc.  Can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.  

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Sox need to acquire a number 1 pitcher before next season. Our starters cannot be counted on to be championship ready yet. Gio and Kopech would be okay slotted at 2 and 3. 

Another TOR arm would be major...I'd like to add through FA, before a trade

Kopech/Giolito/Lopech is very solid and I have confidence in Cease...Rodon and Lopez are on their last chances to start here

Dunning hopefully does well soon, or Flores

11 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Another TOR arm would be major...I'd like to add through FA, before a trade

Kopech/Giolito/Lopech is very solid and I have confidence in Cease...Rodon and Lopez are on their last chances to start here

Dunning hopefully does well soon, or Flores

Rodon is done for sure. Lopez is one of two things...traded in a package or converted to setup man (where he could thrive)
Kopech won't be TOR his first season...that is the gap that worries me. They really are 1 short for the window of contention unless Dunning somehow becomes a thing (not so sure on that). 

On 8/6/2020 at 11:17 PM, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How is the core small?

Moncada, Jimenez, Moncada, Anderson, Robert, Vaughn, Madrigal, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Bummer, Crochet. And that’s not including fringe guys like Lopez, Heuer, etc who could be here long term too.

That’s a pretty solid foundation right there. The Sox just have to build around those guys and avoid wasting them like they did with the 2015 core.

The core is Jiminez, Anderson, Moncada Robert, Giolito and Cease.  That is your ready-to-win on the field core.  Maybe you can throw in Madrigal, but he hasn't proven to be anything special.  Kopech hasn't done enough yet.   Relief pitchers are ancillary.  Vaughn and Crochet are in the minors.  Numerous high draft picks have been squandered, several of which were not well-intended when made.

Is that enough to build a winner?  I don't know.  But if it's sufficient, then the FO needs to prove it and deliver a winner.

Last time of course, he had the answers in the org,  but didn't know it and were too impatient, so he  dispatched them for mediocre and worse players.  40% of the As rotation, #3 in AL MVP 2019, and the current leader for the NL MVP would have looked mighty nice with the last core; or with this core.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The core is Jiminez, Anderson, Robert, Giolito and Cease.  That is your ready-to-win on the field core.  Maybe you can throw in Madrigal, but he hasn't proven to be anything special.  Kopech hasn't done enough yet.   Relief pitchers are ancillary.  Vaughn and Crochet are in the minors.  Numerous high draft picks have been squandered, several of which were not well-intended when made.

Is that enough to build a winner?  I don't know.  Last time of course, he had the answers in the org,  but didn't know it and were too impatient, so he  dispatched them for mediocre and worse players.  40% of the As rotation, #3 in AL MVP 2019, and the current leader for the NL MVP would have looked mighty nice with the last core; or with this core.

Lol...who cares about that Moncada guy.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...who cares about that Moncada guy.

But then we wouldn’t have signed Luis Robert, well, because, drum roll...Tim Anderson would have been occupying both CF and catcher with the #1 OPS guy on the planet ensconced/entrenched (pick your appropriate adjective) for a decade at SS.

Edited by caulfield12