Leadoff Man going forward - TA or Robert?

Tnetennba

On 8/13/2020 at 9:56 AM, Vulture said:

Unless you were playing under a multimillion dollar contract with the expectations of being a savior of a floundering major sports franchise with deep roots in a major US city, a million lifelong fans most of them generational going back 100+ years, I'm not sure your experience is corrolary

Yea and besides that Squirmin' always batted 9th when he wasnt carrying the bats around.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

It's a long debate but I honestly don't think many MLB players or any pro athletes really are susceptible to pressure.  If they were, they wouldn't be pro athletes.  That said, Robert is fine at 6 or 7 in his rookie year.  He's probably like a 270/300/450 hitter right now, and that's probably not as good as anybody higher in the lineup.  

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait, wait.  YOU are going to talk about someone eating crow when you STILL won't admit how good Jose Abreu has been over the last few years?  Ok Boomer.

Right. Jose Abreu, the guy who was worth 1.2 WAR in 2018 and 1.9 WAR in 2019 is soooooooooo good. He has been even worse this year.

The overrating of Jose Abreu continues.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Right. Jose Abreu, the guy who was worth 1.2 WAR in 2018 and 1.9 WAR in 2019 is soooooooooo good. He has been even worse this year.

The overrating of Jose Abreu continues.

He obviously isn't a star player but it is hard for 1b men to put up great war numbers, he was ranked 6th in war in the AL among 1b men last year.

This year his start was not great but he usually gets better later in the year and while he has some cold streaks he usually delivers you your 115-125 wrc+, 30 bombs and 100 RBI with a decent average and that is all you can ask for from your 1b.

Obviously he is no miggy but he is a perfectly fine winning team first baseman.

Of course at some point decline will come but then the sox hopefully has vaughn filling in and I would be very happy if vaughn delivered the same stats that jose delivered so far over his career (.292/348/512) with 30 bombs and 100 rbi a year.

• Like 2

I do think Robert projects long-term as a better leadoff hitter than TA but he is not that player yet. He still has some adjusting to do. TA is doing a fine job, and as much as I hate to use cliches like this, he brings a certain energy to the lineup and they're different with him in there.

33 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I do think Robert projects long-term as a better leadoff hitter than TA but he is not that player yet. He still has some adjusting to do. TA is doing a fine job, and as much as I hate to use cliches like this, he brings a certain energy to the lineup and they're different with him in there.

The skill set is there to leadoff, but he just screams #3 hitter to me. You want guys on base in front of him.  The power is ridiculous.  Let him use it.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The skill set is there to leadoff, but he just screams #3 hitter to me. You want guys on base in front of him.  The power is ridiculous.  Let him use it.

I think "whoops, my leadoff guy accidentally doubled or homered again" is a good problem to have

3 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I think "whoops, my leadoff guy accidentally doubled or homered again" is a good problem to have

Sure, and if you needed a leadoff guy we could talk. But I think my batting champion leadoff guy singled in front of my 3 hitter hitting the ball on to the Ryan sounds better.

If Vaughn becomes the high OBP guy many believes he will be, I'd be fine with him leading off.  Look at what the Cubs are doing with Bryant and Rizzo. It's working out for them. 

Vaughn

Moncada

Robert

Eloy

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

If Vaughn becomes the high OBP guy many believes he will be, I'd be fine with him leading off.  Look at what the Cubs are doing with Bryant and Rizzo. It's working out for them. 

Vaughn

Moncada

Robert

Eloy

If everything works, and Madrigal is starting us off with a .360 OBP, what a crazy lineup this is:

Madrigal (On base all the time)
Anderson (Best contact hitter)
Robert (Best overall hitter)
Jimenez (Biggest power)
Moncada (Second best hitter in an RBI position and reload the order position)
Vaughn (Really good all-around hitter, reloads the lineup again)
DH/Abreu
Grandal/Other catcher
Unknown RF

It's too RH dominant, but that's a natural spot for every single one of the ones currently identified. If everyone develops as hoped, in a year or two, we have a DH hitting 7th or 8th!

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If everything works, and Madrigal is starting us off with a .360 OBP, what a crazy lineup this is:

Jimenez (Biggest power)
DH/Abreu
Grandal/Other catcher
Unknown RF

It's too RH dominant, but that's a natural spot for every single one of the ones currently identified. If everyone develops as hoped, in a year or two, we have a DH hitting 7th or 8th!

I look at this lineup and I'm like "Moncada probably a .900 OPS player and he's fifth?" and... well yeah probably, that checks out

A lead off hitter hits with an average of .45 runners on base per at bat, a third place hitter with .65 runners per at bat. Its ludicrous to have a forty home run guy batting lead off IMO. Even batting Trout second  has been a mistake if you ask me. This guy should have been driving in 120+ runs a year not 90. Not worth getting fifteen extra at bats a year when you have 60+ less chances to drive in a run. The difference between leadoff and third would be even worse, probably around 120 less chances over a full season.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Jimenez (Biggest power)
DH/Abreu
Grandal/Other catcher
Unknown RF

I don't think Madrigal will ever be a .360 OBP player. I think he will be in the 7-9 spots in the lineup. 

If Vaughn can be an OBP machine, bat him leadoff. 

Vaughn

Moncada

Robert

Eloy

Anderson

Grandal

Abreu

Madrigal

RFer

18 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's a long debate but I honestly don't think many MLB players or any pro athletes really are susceptible to pressure.  

They handle it well but they are always better in practice than in a game winning situation.