So who's the next manager?

chitownsportsfan

If and when the White Sox make a change, I would at least like them to interview multiple candidates and strongly consider someone outside the organization. Please no more ex-White Sox players. JR will get attached and he won't be able to fire them no matter how badly they perform. But it doesn't seem to me that the White Sox thinking about any major changes soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, claydude14 said:

Which one of Ozzie’s kids is managing in the Astros minor league system? There’s a bilingual, analytic minded guy with Sox family ties. 

I love how as a fanbase we cry against nepotism and loyalty to the point that Alek Thomas being passed over a complete shock to all of us (and unfortunately, one that bit us in the ass), but we pine for the Guillen family to be given the keys to franchise after all of the drama they brought once Ozzie's head got too damn big.

Omar Vizquel or Sandy Alomar both make a lot of sense. I’m sure Jerry would love to hire a former member of the organization and they are least 2 knowledgeable baseball minds that have had careers that demand respect. Plus the Spanish speaking part is undeniably important. 

Dark horse- Jim Thome

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Omar Vizquel or Sandy Alomar both make a lot of sense. I’m sure Jerry would love to hire a former member of the organization and they are least 2 knowledgeable baseball minds that have had careers that demand respect. Plus the Spanish speaking part is undeniably important. 

Dark horse- Jim Thome

Thome loves coaching his kids.  I don't see that as a realistic option.

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Dark horse- Jim Thome

They literally just parted ways with Vizquel, so he definitely won’t be happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I love how as a fanbase we cry against nepotism and loyalty to the point that Alek Thomas being passed over a complete shock to all of us (and unfortunately, one that bit us in the ass), but we pine for the Guillen family to be given the keys to franchise after all of the drama they brought once Ozzie's head got too damn big.

I wonder about this myself. A case can be made for Guillen, I guess, but some act like he is the only one capable of managing this team. I still think it is time for the team to cut ties with him. 2005 was great, but the franchise truly needs to move forward.

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

I wonder about this myself. A case can be made for Guillen, I guess, but some act like he is the only one capable of managing this team. I still think it is time for the team to cut ties with him. 2005 was great, but the franchise truly needs to move forward.

He should honestly be towards the bottom.

He's the same type of manager as Renteria - stubborn, puts together stupid ass lineups, rigid with traditional baseball roles - and negotiated a contract with another team while still employed by the White Sox.

Ozzie can always have a place with the team as an ambassador and his number should be retired. He should never be allowed to manage again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They literally just parted ways with Vizquel, so he definitely won’t be happening.

I was about to say!  Not sure if his suggestion were serious but they just let Visquel go after he seemed like he was on the fast track.  No way that's happening now. 

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I was about to say!  No sure if his suggestion were serious but they just let Visquel go after he seemed like he was on the fast track.  No way that's happening now. 

No, not serious.  He dud something last year (prioritizing winning or bunting over development) that really pissed someone off.

Maybe still starting Robert in a game with treacherous field conditions due to weather...who knows.

6 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Dark horse- Jim Thome

How about AJ? My favorite Sox player ever, great analyst currently...Maybe at least let him be the bench coach for the next guy, Ricky ain't it, glad I was never behind him

• Like 1

Ozzie is lucky to be in some good graces with the organization.   His last season was something else, a new level ego trip he was on.   Completely sabotaged his team.  Him, Olney and their instigator Joe Cowley can all fuck off for their bullshit parts they played in that drama they created.   

Having said all that I don’t mind him doing post game, but it doesn’t exactly add any motivation in watching that show with Chuck now.  Meh.  

Renteria, my Latino brother,  still needs to get fucking lost.   The Sox are either too incompetent or cheap(probably more this) to replace him before.   

Sandy was their first choice before Renteria to be Robin’s bench coach and successor.  But Alomar didn’t want to disrespect Robin like that, which I don’t blame him.  Should have just handed the keys back then.   But maybe getting some more experience under Francona’s would serve him well, certainly couldn’t have hurt.   He would be my choice 100%.  

AJ has a great baseball mind.  But I don’t think he would come back to be a bench coach, I believe I heard him say he would only come back to be a manager.  I would think hard about it, just how would the players like playing for him with his abrasive personality at times.   Jirschele is too young for my liking   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jamesdiego said:

Ozzie is lucky to be in some good graces with the organization.   His last season was something else, a new level ego trip he was on.   Completely sabotaged his team.  Him, Olney and their instigator Joe Cowley can all fuck off for their bullshit parts they played in that drama they created.   

Having said all that I don’t mind him doing post game, but it doesn’t exactly add any motivation in watching that show with Chuck now.  Meh.  

Renteria, my Latino brother,  still needs to get fucking lost.   The Sox are either too incompetent or cheap(probably more this) to replace him before.   

Sandy was their first choice before Renteria to be Robin’s bench coach and successor.  But Alomar didn’t want to disrespect Robin like that, which I don’t blame him.  Should have just handed the keys back then.   But maybe getting some more experience under Francona’s would serve him well, certainly couldn’t have hurt.   He would be my choice 100%.  

AJ has a great baseball mind.  But I don’t think he would come back to be a bench coach, I believe I heard him say he would only come back to be a manager.  I would think hard about it, just how would the players like playing for him with his abrasive personality at times.   Jirschele is too young for my liking   

Alomar sounds good, and Pierzynski seems like a Sox hire. I'd get behind it but it could easily be a disaster. 

• Like 1

I don't know who will be the next manager, and I like some of the suggestions so far in this thread.  But, something needs to change with the leadership of this team.  I am tired of seeing talent wasted by bad managing/coaching, dumb decisions, and lackluster leadership.  It's really amplified this season with so much talent AND a short season.  Every win counts and every loss counts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Alomar sounds good, and Pierzynski seems like a Sox hire. I'd get behind it but it could easily be a disaster. 

I think AJP is fine with being in the booth tbh.  AJP takes over for Stone when he retires, IMO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, jamesdiego said:

I agree with a lot of this especially about Ozzie in his last season with the Sox. If I was the owner, I would have fired him in May and Williams right with him. The rebuild should have started years earlier.

I am still not high on hiring ex-Sox players. There can be exceptions to that, but, in my mind, AJ would not be one of them. Again, I would like someone outside the organization to take over. 

23 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Dark horse- Jim Thome

A few thoughts.  As someone else mentioned, Vizquel's departure from the organization probably eliminates him.  I was surprised when I saw Alomar was coaching for Francona while he was out. I would have thought Brad Mills would be doing that. Could be a sign that Sandy will take over that job sooner rather than later. I agree with your thought  that "Spanish speaking part is undeniably important". But in looking around  at last years playoff teams, I think only Cora and Martinez did. So maybe the staff make-up more than the manager selection is the key component. 

9 hours ago, jamesdiego said:

AJ would be a disaster in a coaching role of any kind.  His future is in a booth somewhere.  He does that really well.  I am just saying that I could pair him with Jason and see what happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Already broadcasting games with the Twins this year...

Wow....good for them. The Sox should have snapped him up when they had the chance. He would have been a breath of fresh air over Stone. Steve is pretty knowledgeable but he comes across arrogant and douchey. 

Too bad for the Sox, they missed out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wow....good for them. The Sox should have snapped him up when they had the chance. He would have been a breath of fresh air over Stone. Steve is pretty knowledgeable but he comes across arrogant and douchey. 

Too bad for the Sox, they missed out. 

Steve Stone has dry wit. He is funny without trying too hard. I wouldn’t trade him for any color guy in the league besides the Mets duo of Herandez and Darling.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 10:36 AM, Tony said:

This will be one of my all-tie biggest meatball takes, and I'm aware of it going in. 

I want a winner. I want someone who knows how& to manage a ball club that is preparing in Spring Training to be playing in the last week of October. I want a manager who builds a lineup with the intention of it giving him the best possible chance to win on that day. I want a manager who makes in-game decisions with the sole purpose of winning the game he is currently managing. 

When I look at Ricky, I won't say he's done a bad job thus far. I think his staff has done a good job with player development and they've created a very good clubhouse and team environment (at least judging by the information we have to go off of.) 

But I don't believe he can take this team to the next level. And that's the only objective right now. 

I would like to add that if you are going to rest guys do it as much as possible against non division teams at least in a normal season. I realize this season is mostly division opponents on the schedule .

These losses against division opponents hurt the most. I know the Sox have lost players and it sucks. 2 more taken out last night in Leury and Abreu the day before Anderson and Encarnacion are due back. Madrigal out , Mazara missed time and still looks off. Rodon, Lambert , Bummer who else besides Kopech am I missing who is injured ? That's a lot of guys to lose.

Weird that we are in this terrible hitting slump and we're supposed to have all these good hitters , more lefthandedness , more power , more OBP but now the hitting with RISP is comically bad.

This has to be the low point of the season.Even with the 1-4 start we knew it was early but now we're nearing  33% done  and the bad luck is just piling up and a bad manager is not changing our luck. He needs to get on the umps, get on his players. Tell them they are playing like a big steaming pile of  rhino shit. Tell them they have to prove they are good. Stop tallking the talk and walk the walk.

You all wanted swag , great you got it. I'll  take W's.

At least I can't  blame Yermin. Probably could single handedly bust the Sox out of their hitting doldrums. 😏

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1