Sox recent draft and development success

southsider2k5

It is interesting to look at the Sox roster right now, and see how many players the Sox have fully drafted/signed and developed, even if you leave out guys that they traded for as minor leaguers.  What really jumps out is how many more late round guys are ending up on the roster.  The current 28 roster plus DL includes 5 guys in rounds 11 or later, as well as 4 1st round picks.

Tim Anderson 1st round

Aaron Bummer 19th round

Zach Collins 1st round

Adam Engel 19th round

Matt Foster 20th round

Jace Fry 3rd round

Ian Hamilton 11th round

Codi Heuer 6th round

Nick Madrigal 1st round

Danny Mendick 22nd round

Luis Robert INTL

Carlos Rodon 1st round

25 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I've liked what I've seen from Giolito, Cease, Kuechel (who looks the best he has in years), Bummer, Cordero, Detwiler, Foster, Hamilton, Heuer, Marshall, and Lambert pre-injury

In the end, he's going to be judged primarily on Giolito, Kopech, Lopez and Cease.   Rodon's pretty much a lost cause, not much a pitching coach can do there.

The bullpen performance is so hit-and-miss from year to year, you just hope you have an above average or above pen 2 out of every 3 years.

It's also a bit ironic that the "leaders" of that pen were supposed to be guys like Burdi, Hamilton, Tyler Johnson, McClure, Burr, etc.   They've managed to work around a number of setbacks on that front, much like the 2012 bullpen.   As you might remember, all those rookies and castoffs really struggled (minus Sale/Q) the following year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I've liked what I've seen from Giolito, Cease, Kuechel (who looks the best he has in years), Bummer, Cordero, Detwiler, Foster, Hamilton, Heuer, Marshall, and Lambert pre-injury

I was going to say that too. And has been pretty vocal about how he’s adjusting as he learns the analytics in spring training. 

• Like 1

Collins has looked better at the plate/swing a tad quicker and his body looks better conditioned. I know he’s gone hitless, but has been hitting the ball hard and making the pitchers work which is his bread and butter. The downside he’s not going to play on a regular basis, which will make it difficult to get the bat going. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

In the end, he's going to be judged primarily on Giolito, Kopech, Lopez and Cease.   Rodon's pretty much a lost cause, not much a pitching coach can do there.

The bullpen performance is so hit-and-miss from year to year, you just hope you have an above average or above pen 2 out of every 3 years.

It's also a bit ironic that the "leaders" of that pen were supposed to be guys like Burdi, Hamilton, Tyler Johnson, McClure, Burr, etc.   They've managed to work around a number of setbacks on that front, much like the 2012 bullpen.   As you might remember, all those rookies and castoffs really struggled (minus Sale/Q) the following year.

Two more leaders were Cisek and Herrera to be fair. Bullpens are a numbers game.