Sox playoff chances sit at 100%, 3rd in AL for WS odds

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

MLB should honestly consider reducing the season to 120 games, and expanding all the playoff series to best of 7.  We don't need to play 162.

I totally agree. If they expand the playoffs as well it could work.

• Like 2

I am actually really enjoying the importance and urgency that every win brings to a shortened season.  With that in mind, I was thinking of the concept  going forward to split the regular season in half to make 2 smaller seasons before the playoffs.  That way, half way through the year every team would have a new life.  I want to say that the minor leagues or CBA tried such a concept but I could be just imagining that.

18 minutes ago, wegner said:

I am actually really enjoying the importance and urgency that every win brings to a shortened season.  With that in mind, I was thinking of the concept  going forward to split the regular season in half to make 2 smaller seasons before the playoffs.  That way, half way through the year every team would have a new life.  I want to say that the minor leagues or CBA tried such a concept but I could be just imagining that.

That’s basically the MiLB system.  Works for me, creates two seasons with fresh starts and renewed rooting interest...

I have always said that in a short schedule like this year and 60 games is that you will win 20 and lose 20 it is how you play those other twenty that will determine your fate. That’s what I have always said

Edited by elrockinMT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2020 at 5:11 PM, EloyJenkins said:

Revenue though? I can't see TV contracts responding well to this idea. 

The smaller team owners would never want that. The big teams who make the playoffs almost every year would not lose much money with shorter RS and longer playoffs but even with expanded playoffs half of the teams will miss the playoffs and then make no revenue increasing the gap between the rich and the poor.

So those teams who only make the playoffs like once every 5 years or less consistently would never want it (Marlins, pirates, reds, mariners...).

Those teams want guaranteed revenue and not maybe revenue in case they make the playoffs.

Edited by Dominikk85

5 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I have always said that in a short schedule like this year and 60 games is that you will win 20 and lose 20 it is how you play those other twenty that will determine your fate. That’s what I have always said

Thanks, Hawk.

• Haha 1

As I said before it began, this season is a best case for us in terms of results and growth. I know people will say a full 162 game slate allows guys to develop and that is true. However, because the season is 60 games, guys had to train hard and take practice seriously. Each game is full of pressure and guys have to be on top of it. Since the lackadaisical mindset is gone, our youngins are developing at a positive rate. A playoff run is the cherry on top as they will get post season experience before our real contention years. Part of the development I speak of is seeing how they are being pitched to and the need to make adjustments accordingly. 

On 8/18/2020 at 10:08 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

MLB should honestly consider reducing the season to 120 games, and expanding all the playoff series to best of 7.  We don't need to play 162.

Sure, once the players agree to cut their salaries by 1/4 and the owners agree to losing all that extra revenue. Never going to happen.

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Sure, once the players agree to cut their salaries by 1/4 and the owners agree to losing all that extra revenue. Never going to happen.

You're looking at it backwards. The owners barely break even in the regular season and really make their money in the post season because they don't pay player salaries during the post season. So the owners may lose a little in the regular season. However, if they expand the number of teams in the playoffs and add another round in the playoffs the owners will make more.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You're looking at it backwards. The owners barely break even in the regular season and really make their money in the post season because they don't pay player salaries during the post season. So the owners may lose a little in the regular season. However, if they expand the number of teams in the playoffs and add another round in the playoffs the owners will make more.

Players get paid salaries during the post-season, and for most guys it's a significant amount.

The $ just comes from MLB directly rather than teams. But that's still the owners money, it's just a pre-determined amount spread across all the owners.

Players don't play for free in the post-season, I really hope you didn't actually think that

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Players get paid salaries during the post-season, and for most guys it's a significant amount.

The $ just comes from MLB directly rather than teams. But that's still the owners money, it's just a pre-determined amount spread across all the owners.

Players don't play for free in the post-season, I really hope you didn't actually think that

First off, if you don't make the playoffs, you get nothing.  So for half of the league this year, and 3/4 of the league in a normal year playoff money means nothing.

For anyone who is in the playoffs, they don't get their salary.   All players get the same amount as all of the other players as they all share a pot of dollars based on how far you team makes it, that gets divided up evenly between everybody with a share.  Owners keep that difference.

Last year a share of the wild card round was worth about 14k.  Remember the lowest paid players make around 100k a month for the regular season, or about 3k per day.  A guy like Mike Trout is making about $6 million a month. 

Teams that lost in the division round make about 35k each, or about a week and a half's worth of pay at the minimum rate, which when you add in the wild card games, is about how long the first round would take.  The average mlb salary is about $4.5 million, or 750k a month, or about 200k a week.  So a guy making an AVERAGE salary is probably taking around an 85-90% paycut on his normal salary in the playoffs.

The losers of the championship series got about 115k for a few weeks worth of play, or around 1.5 times the MLB minimum rate.

The World Series losers got $250k, for a months worth of play, or about 3X's the MLB minimum, working out to a paycheck that a guy making about 1.5 million a season would get.

The World Champs got 380k for a month's worth of play, or the average paycheck for a MLB player earning about $2.5 million a season.

Again, the playoffs are all about the owners when it comes to dollars.