Sox playoff chances sit at 100%, 3rd in AL for WS odds

southsider2k5

Just now, ptatc said:

Agreed, starting to get that nervous feeling of making the playoffs.

Hopefully they can play well the last two weeks against improved competition.

It’s a great feeling though!  

And fully agree, it would be great to see us play tough against the Twins, Indians, Cubs, & Reds down the stretch.  Beating up on the Royals & Tigers is great for making the playoffs, but if we want to go the distance we obviously got to beat good teams as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox biggest priority now should be lining up the rotation so that Giolito and Keuchel and scheduled to go on Tuesday and Wednesday September 29-30

If they do a 6-man starting with Giolito and Keuchel next Friday, it falls in line for that to happen. That assumes Keuchel can start Saturday. 

They don't need to use excess energy against the Cubs, Twins and Tribe.  That's a waste. Beating up on the hapless Royals put them in a position so that they don't have to.  All that matters is putting the team in the best position possible for the playoffs, and standings is not a big part of that as long as you're top 8.  6 man rotation sounds good, toward that end.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They don't need to use excess energy against the Cubs, Twins and Tribe.  That's a waste. Beating up on the hapless Royals put them in a position so that they don't have to.  All that matters is putting the team in the best position possible for the playoffs, and standings is not a big part of that as long as you're top 8.  6 man rotation sounds good, toward that end.

I think we match up a lot better vs. Toronto. Any team that has a lot of LH starters is favorable for us. The Rays and Jays' best starters are lefty.

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Unless you’re playing the Blue Jays or the Yankees if their lineup is still depleted, it really doesn’t matter who you’re playing in the AL. The AL has some really good teams and it’s basically a coinflip who will win the pennant.

That’s why I kind of don’t care about the division. Yes it would be nice, but the Sox are going to win 35+ games in a 60-game season...that’s pretty good and that will be proof enough that they belong in the AL playoffs with or without the stupid expanded format. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think we match up a lot better vs. Toronto. Any team that has a lot of LH starters is favorable for us. The Rays and Jays' best starters are lefty.

You could be right; my preference would be to play the team with the weakest pitching - we should be able to outblast them.  But again, with this 2nd place stuff instead of 5 wildcards), it's sometimes better not to win your division. So just get the team health and ready for playoff game 1.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

I think you want to win the division if you're the Sox. This season may not be 100 percent legit, but the way things are going it is about 85 percent legit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That could work but I'd think they'd want Giolito and Keuchel vs Twins next week if they can 

• vs Det- Giolito, Keuchel, Staff
  • vs Min- Cease, Dunning, Giolito, Keuchel
  • at Cin- Staff, Staff, Cease
  • at Cle- Dunning, Staff, Giolito, Keuchel
  • vs Cubs-Cease, Dunning, Staff
  • Postseason- Giolito, Keuchel, Cease

Staff (Lopez, Gonzalez, Rodon, Detwiler, everyone else)

11 hours ago, flavum said:
  • vs Det- Giolito, Keuchel, Staff
  • vs Min- Cease, Dunning, Giolito, Keuchel
  • at Cin- Staff, Staff, Cease
  • at Cle- Dunning, Staff, Giolito, Keuchel
  • vs Cubs-Cease, Dunning, Staff
  • Postseason- Giolito, Keuchel, Cease

Staff (Lopez, Gonzalez, Rodon, Detwiler, everyone else)

That Cleveland series puts Giolito on extra rest and he's not a fan of that. That's one of the factors I was weighing. This could work there 

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That Cleveland series puts Giolito on extra rest and he's not a fan of that. That's one of the factors I was weighing. This could work there 

And that really is a huge factor. Do whats best to keep the best starters in their normal routine and we all know that Gio's new and improved pitching derives from the mental prep from his routine between starts.

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think you want to win the division if you're the Sox. This season may not be 100 percent legit, but the way things are going it is about 85 percent legit. 

Yea, except that as it stands now, you get a more favorable opponent by finishing second than first. Who knows how that will shake up; thus, to me, it's unimportant.  I mean I guess a division title is something in itself, but not the prize.

I would prefer facing the twins or blue Jays. The twins offense even though it struggled this year can break out but the twins starters are quite beatable. Same is true for the blue Jays.

The Rays and indians just have nasty pitching and even though the indians offense is bad the top of their lineup has enough potential to score a couple runs which could be enough.  And astros rotation got worse but their offense is a juggernaut and if Verlander is back they still have a great 1-2 punch.

Yankees depends on their health. Currently they are kinda beatable but if they get a couple guys back they could all of a sudden be really good again.

3 hours ago, flavum said:

NY at TB; Tor at Cle

Min at Oak; Hou at Sox

I would absolutely LOVE beating the piss out of the Astros in the first round.

As in fresh baked cookies out of the oven topped with ice cream. As in flowing rivers of root beer. As in rainbow sprinkles in summer time walking with new puppies to the park.