Sox playoff chances sit at 100%, 3rd in AL for WS odds

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

How can the playoff odds be 100% when they haven’t clinched yet?

The combination of needing to be passed by so  many teams, with so few games left to play mean that a scenario where ALL of them win enough games, while also NOT pushing another contending team down and out of mathematical contention make it so statistically improbable, that it effectively becomes 100%.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The combination of needing to be passed by so  many teams, with so few games left to play mean that a scenario where ALL of them win enough games, while also NOT pushing another contending team down and out of mathematical contention make it so statistically improbable, that it effectively becomes 100%.

It's probably something like 99.9999% and they just rounded up.

38 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Who needs off days when you could sweep your opponents in the playoffs?

But seriously though, was this always assumed to be the case? Why wasn’t this announced earlier. I could see this impacting a contender’s decision to acquire another starter during TDL.

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Who needs off days when you could sweep your opponents in the playoffs?

But seriously though, was this always assumed to be the case? Why wasn’t this announced earlier. I could see this impacting a contender’s decision to acquire another starter during TDL.

I hadn't heard either way.  I would doubt this is totally out of the blue for players/teams.  

1 hour ago, palehose1 said:

I know its a small consideration but I wish the AL played in Texas and not CA. Less adjustment for the White Sox, better time zone for Sox fans, better history playing in Texas vs CA.

This. I hate hate hate West Coast games because they start at 10pm ET for me. Playoff hockey can go until 1am - a playoff baseball game will go until 2am. Hell, last night's game was 4 hours long and it wasn't even high scoring. 

Games consistently ending after midnight in the team's hometown are not good for viewership, and I thought the whole reason we're playing baseball this year anyway is for the money the playoffs are supposed to make. 

9 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This. I hate hate hate West Coast games because they start at 10pm ET for me. Playoff hockey can go until 1am - a playoff baseball game will go until 2am. Hell, last night's game was 4 hours long and it wasn't even high scoring. 

Games consistently ending after midnight in the team's hometown are not good for viewership, and I thought the whole reason we're playing baseball this year anyway is for the money the playoffs are supposed to make. 

I understand wanting as neutral a field as possible, but they hurt their broadcasts audience if non-west coast teams are starting games at 9/10pm.  Hopefully that is factored into who plays in which slot.

Edited by SouthWallace

51 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I always knew the off days would be less due to the new playoff format, but I didn't think they'd get rid of them. Now every team needs 5 starters or would have to have guys go on short rest.

Yes, other teams have the same issue, but would prefer a 2-3-2 format, games followed by a day off, same as with travel. I can see the players wanting to get out of the bubble ASAP and agreeing to this. Will be tempting using Keuchel or Giolito on short rest, but would prefer regular rest especially in this weird year.

5 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

So no homefield advantage and the WC teams don't have to "play in". There's not much advantage winning the division. Maybe they could have let the top seed choose its first round opponent, the next highest available choose its opponent, and down the line. Its crazy, but its 2020.

I don’t like the idea of teams picking their opponent, and I think a lot of teams wouldn’t even want to be in that position.
The seeding this year should have been division winners, then the next five best records in order. I don’t know why 2nd place teams automatically earned 4 thru 6...they didn’t win anything. Anyway, when it’s down to four in each league, I hope it’s division winners including the Sox, the Padres and Twins. Get the best eight in and play ball for the championship. 

3 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

This is bad news for the Sox IMO. The debate over our third starter is mostly moot now because both Cease AND Dunning will be throwing every 4 days.

Of course, its good bad news, because if we are worried about Cease and Dunning throwing we have made it to a round with more than three games.

• Like 1