Sox playoff chances sit at 100%, 3rd in AL for WS odds

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know they're on a hot streak, but I think worrying about the Tigers taking our playoff spot is peak Mr. Pessimism

It’s more because if they only win 5 games the rest of the way, it’s likely some of those games would be against the Tigers.  My goal is 31 and they should be safe. 

8 hours ago, flavum said:

Sox magic number to stay ahead of Detroit is 22.

If the Sox go 11-13, and the Tigers go 16-11, we still stay ahead.

That said, the Sox will be 32-21 with a week left: 4 at Cle and 3 vs Cubs. The last week will only be about seeding.

Magic number 21

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s more because if they only win 5 games the rest of the way, it’s likely some of those games would be against the Tigers.  My goal is 31 and they should be safe. 

Yeah, I mean if sox are 14 under their next 19 games...they shouldn't be in the playoffs and that's not being negative.

1 hour ago, ChiSox1917 said:

We’re going to make the playoffs, but with this pitching staff, we arent going to go very far.

I mean this should have been clear all along after the injuries started setting in.  I said it on the trade deadline, and will say it again.  This team isn't currently "one player" away.  There was no one they would get at the deadline to get them over the top.  Their best window is still a year or two away.  Management tried to move it up with their off season signings, but the main part of the window is still in the future as the pitching gets here and matures.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean this should have been clear all along after the injuries started setting in.  I said it on the trade deadline, and will say it again.  This team isn't currently "one player" away.  There was no one they would get at the deadline to get them over the top.  Their best window is still a year or two away.  Management tried to move it up with their off season signings, but the main part of the window is still in the future as the pitching gets here and matures.

What do you want a pat on the back? With one more pitcher they had a pretty good chance of doing some damage. Now it's a toss up at who's starting. The main issue is Cease hasn't taken the next step yet. The problem is it's looking like he may not take that next step. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

What do you want a pat on the back? With one more pitcher they had a pretty good chance of doing some damage. Now it's a toss up at who's starting. The main issue is Cease hasn't taken the next step yet. The problem is it's looking like he may not take that next step. 

It is WAY too early to make that judgement, which was the point all along.  I know people want instant gratification, but that isn't how baseball works.  Heck, you would have thought we would have learned that with Giolito's exploits, but it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is WAY too early to make that judgement, which was the point all along.  I know people want instant gratification, but that isn't how baseball works.  Heck, you would have thought we would have learned that with Giolito's exploits, but it is what it is.

Strange you talk like he came up just 2 weeks ago. Like I said he'll get his playoff start like everyone desperately wants. Let's see if he can locate his fastball. 

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Strange you talk like he came up just 2 weeks ago. Like I said he'll get his playoff start like everyone desperately wants. Let's see if he can locate his fastball. 

Giolito was the worst pitcher in baseball in 2018.  He is one of the best in 2020 because they didn't quit on him after 20 starts.  It isn't difficult.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Giolito was the worst pitcher in baseball in 2018.  He is one of the best in 2020 because they didn't quit on him after 20 starts.  It isn't difficult.

Did I say to quit on him? Another strawman. I said "The problem is it's looking like he may not take that next step". He's going to get another month and probably a playoff start. I can't wait. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Did I say to quit on him? Another strawman. I said "The problem is it's looking like he may not take that next step". He's going to get another month and probably a playoff start. I can't wait. 

We don't know that he won't take the next step and it is WAY to early to come to that conclusion.  Again, we have proof that pitchers can figure this out after an extended time of failure at the major league level.  Like it or not, kids failing at the major league level is a part of the rebuild process.